none
Alt+D (select explorer's address bar shortcut) won't work on some (french?) Vista systems RRS feed

• General discussion

• So I've just got a laptop (Sony Vaio Z) bundled with Vista (French/Professional/SP1) and I noticed the ALT+D shortcut, which is supposed to select the address bar in the windows explorer (and highlight the full path), doesn't work. Instead the system's "default sound" is played, probably indicating that the shortcut doesn't exist, or fails, or something.

After googling that up I noticed the shortcut still existed on Vista and was working for most people. So I posted on a french forum and asked whether it was for them. About half of them said it didn't work. And it seemed like the ones who said it worked had an US version of Vista. Not positive this is related, though

Can anyone from Microsoft confirm it's working on french Vista's?

And in the case it has nothing to do with the language, what could possibly cause this shortcut to break? I personally find it extremely useful and also use it in web browsers.

Thanks in advance!
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 6:53 PM

All replies

• It seem that the shortcut ALT+D doesn't work on all french version of Windows Vista (doesn't work on Home Premium, Buisness and Ultimate) and Windows 7 (Ultimate)

But the shortcut work great on any english version.

You can use F4 key, the behavior is not the same, but it put your cursor in the address bar.

I hope that Microsoft will make update for this

Monday, October 26, 2009 5:02 PM
  • Years later we are still waiting for a fix for this...

Alt-D does not work for French editions of File Explorer in Windows (XP, 8, 10). Very (did I said very?) annoying for those users who rely on shortcuts rather than the mouse slow device...

Microsoft, please...

Tuesday, May 31, 2016 2:19 PM