none
SharePoint Foundation Site Web Analytics reports RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am currently attempting to get the Site Web Analytics reports to work in SharePoint Foundation.  However, there seems to be little available information regarding this.  What is necessary for this to display a report?  To start with, what SharePoint & Windows services and SharePoint service applications need to be started?  We use SQL Authentication for the content database because all the databases are in a different domain.

Any information someone can shed would be helpful.

Currently, when I navigate to the page it states "A web analytics report is not available for this site.  Usage processing may be disabled on this server or the usage data for this site has not been processed yet."  I have looked up this information on the net, but nearly all information applies to SharePoint Server.  I need help setting this up with SharePoint Foundation.

Thank you much.

Thursday, December 23, 2010 7:31 PM

All replies

• OK. I am guiding you thru how I do it on MSS 2010. I don't have an MSF build to try this on, but I can't see the process being any different.

1. Create a Web Analytics Service Application (Central Admin > Application Management > Service Applications > Manage Service Applications > New... > W.A.S.A. [ie, name it WASA1])

2. Then, you need to turn on the services. (CA > System Settings > Servers > Manager Services on Server > (1) Start the Data WA Processing, (2) Start the WA Web Service)

3. Next, you need to wire up the service with the content Web Applications. (CA > Application Management > Manage Web Applications > [Select web application] > Click Service Connections in the ribbon > Check the [WASA1] service > Click OK.)

4. Repeat Step 3 for each Content Web Application you have.

5. Now go verify the Timer Jobs are set for your Content web applications (CA > Monitoring > Timer Jobs > Review Timer Definitions).

SharePoint Solution Architect, Developer
    • Marked as answer by Rock Wang– MSFT Tuesday, December 28, 2010 8:30 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Matt2394780 Friday, January 21, 2011 4:51 PM
    Friday, December 24, 2010 5:08 AM
  • You actually need Usage and Health data collection configured first. This will create your WSS Logging database (as it is referred to), and the Usage and Health Service Application. Once configured, this will collect usage data.

You then need to configure Web Analytics, as MossDev described below. Web Analytics will collect data from the Logging DB, process it and store it according to settings. You can then view the Web Analytics reports.

Check this article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee663480.aspx

Living the SharePoint dream...
    • Marked as answer by Rock Wang– MSFT Tuesday, December 28, 2010 8:30 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Matt2394780 Friday, January 21, 2011 4:52 PM
    Sunday, December 26, 2010 12:24 PM
  • I appreciate the responses.  When I have time later today I will digest the provided information to see if I can get this thing working.

Thanks again.

Tuesday, December 28, 2010 3:39 PM
  • Thank you for replying.

However, when I navigate to Central Admin > Application Management > Service Applications > Manage Service Applications, I do not have the ability to create the Web Analytics Service Application.  The only application listed under New is the BDC.  Currently, Application Discovery, Security Token, and WSS_UsageApplicaiton are started.

Should SharePoint Foundation allow the ability to create this service application and my installation is messed up? 

Thanks.

Tuesday, December 28, 2010 5:44 PM
  • Well, I had to check myself. Web Analytics is part of MSS standard - not MSF (Microsoft Sharepoint Foundation).

Very sorry.

SharePoint Solution Architect, Developer
    Tuesday, December 28, 2010 7:09 PM
  • Thanks for your effort, MossDev.  Does anyone else have any insight on how to get web analytic reports in SharePoint Foundation?
    Thursday, December 30, 2010 4:22 PM
  • Hi Matt,

An option that might appeal to you would be to use google anayltics.  This codeplex project   can be added to your farm fairly straightforewardly using the directions on the codeplex site.  Then another article I've found ( Bamboo Solutions community forum ) shows us how to display this information back in SharePoint and even how to make dashboards with it.

HTH,

Phil V

Thursday, December 30, 2010 7:19 PM
  • Something else to consider Matt, it may take up to 24 hours or longer for the web analytics reports (such as they are) to propagate. I know that, after enabling usage and health data collection, it took so long to really start showing any data, that I had started troubleshooting because I thought it was broken.

And yes, SharePoint Foundation really, *really* does not have the service for web analytics that the Server version does. It has frustrated me and driven me to use other products to offset the fact that, although SPF has all the capabilities to really use the service, it is only truly surfaced in the paid-for version.

CA Callahan | Author: Mastering Windows SharePoint Service 3.0 | Community Leader | MVP- SharePoint Services
    Thursday, December 30, 2010 7:43 PM
  • Thanks, guys, for all the insight.

So I guess the basic question is:

Is there a way to display information when clicking the Site Web Analyitcs Reports link in SharePoint Foundation without using third party tools?  I have enabled usage and health data collection, it is generating usage files in the specified location, but I can't seem to do anything with this information.

Thanks once again.

Thursday, December 30, 2010 10:13 PM
  • Yes, absolutely!

I wish I could attach files here, because I could show you screenshots. It does work, in a limited way, without third party tools. You just have to wait at least 24 hours for all the data to propagate.

I know that's a long time. And I know that's frustrating because you have to wait a full day to see if it's still broken, but the earliest the reports give data is daily (it literally shows "Last Day" data as the smallest most recent increment).

Mind you, the reports are going to be really, really limited. It disappointed me, honestly. But there is report information, and maybe it will work fine for you. For slowest pages it actually shows all pages accessed within a range of time, showing average/min/max duration, database queries, and number of requests per page. For Top Active Users, it actually shows you all users that have used SharePoint in that date range, with user name, number of requests, Last access time, percentage of successful requests.

So don't give up hope just yet. Please wait a day, make sure there is plenty of activity so you can get some data for your report (access pages, make sure a number of users log in, etc.), then try it again. For me it has taken a day and a half, then suddenly I've got all kinds of data. It just doesn't happen immediately.

CA Callahan | Author: Mastering Windows SharePoint Service 3.0 | Community Leader | MVP- SharePoint Services
    Thursday, December 30, 2010 10:32 PM
  • Sorry for the delay in responding.  I've been working through other issues.  But now I'm back to this one.

The log files are getting created in the specified location and they get imported into SQL.  The problem seems to be when it attempts to run the usage data processing job.  I receive countless 5586 errors in the Event Viewer. 

We use SQL Authentication and the user configured in the "Configure web analytics and health data collection" is a valid SQL user.  Is there a different account that runs the usage data processing job?

As always, thanks for your help.

Monday, January 17, 2011 7:23 PM
  • I found that after installing Search Server Express 2010 in addition to SharePoint Foundation, the Web Analytics services were installed.  Search Server Express 2010 doesn't scale beyond a single server, but it does provide some additional features that SharePoint Foundation alone is lacking.  

Friday, February 25, 2011 7:56 PM
  • I do agree, that with 5586 errors, that tends to be the service account trying to access the database. Usually the usage and health database, usually called something like "WSS/Logging" has the farm account as the dbo (as far as I know, SharePoint uses the farm account for usage and health data collection).

Often that error shows up if you *don't* have usage and health enabled. In a blog I found, the author was successful in getting this to work by disabling usage data collection and health data collection, reset IIS, stop, then start sptimer service. Then re-enable usage and health data collection, restart sptimer service, reset IIS. See if that helps.

CA Callahan | Author: Mastering Windows SharePoint Service 3.0 and Mastering Microsoft SharePoint Foundation 2010 | Community Launch Leader |
    Saturday, July 16, 2011 12:24 AM
  • I got the same problem when trying to open Site Web Analytics report in users site, but I can view this report in Central Administrator site. Any advice? http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepoint2010setup/thread/bb7a7c92-467b-44b2-b6ec-ce0b2e7f6639/#d0f5bc41-8993-4302-8bb0-8806ec1f606f
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 8:14 AM
  • Hi Matt,

Thanks for your post.

Open central administration, click system settings, click manage services on server, check whether the Web Analytics Data Processing Service and Web Analytics Web Service are started on each server? If not, try to start them, then check the effect.

Second, click application management, click manage services applications, make sure web analytics service application is started. If not, please start it, then check the effect. Or you can provision a new Web Analytics Service Application.

For more information about Provisioning the Web Analytics Service Application on Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010, please refer to the following article:

Step-by-Step: Provisioning the Web Analytics Service Application on Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010 Beta

http://blogs.technet.com/b/wbaer/archive/2009/11/21/step-by-step-provisioning-the-web-analytics-service-application-on-microsoft-sharepoint-server-2010-beta.aspx

Introducing Web Analytics in SharePoint 2010

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ecm/archive/2010/03/21/introducing-web-analytics-in-sharepoint-2010.aspx

I hope that helps.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 11:45 AM
  • Prakash,

I am sure we all appreciate your interest in this topic, but your suggestions and links refer to SharePoint *Server* 2010, and this thread refers to web analytics for SharePoint *Foundation* 2010. Foundation does not contain the services you are referring to.

This often happens-- when a person asks a question about SharePoint Services, or SharePoint Foundation, the answers offered disregard that detail and are all about SharePoint Server- confusing, frustrating, misinforming, and possibly misleading the OP.

It's an easy mistake for SharePoint *Server* administrators to make, to assume Foundation does the same thing their product does. However, if it did, there'd be no difference between the free product and the paid for one. ; )

CA Callahan | Author: Mastering Windows SharePoint Service 3.0 and Mastering Microsoft SharePoint Foundation 2010 | Community Launch Leader |
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 2:46 PM
  • Steven,

I have some crazy questions-- have you installed any cumulative updates or the service pack lately (and did it work before you did)? I have had wonky things happen after updates. How long did you wait, after enabling usage and health data before you looked at your site/site collection reports? Was there any activity on those sites/site collection? It can take 24 hours or more to really generate the reports (YMMV)

When you say "having a problem when trying to open site web analytics report in users site" do you mean you are getting an error trying to get to the page, or the page comes up, but it has no data?

Are there any errors in the Applications log in Event Viewer on the SharePoint Foundation server?

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 2:56 PM
  • Hi Callahan,
       I think you got the point - the update. Everything is corrrect previously, and the user(Admin of the site collection) report to me 
    that she can not get report from the Site Web Analytics.
       And I recall that what I did recently is that I installed the SP1 for SPF and Aug cumulative.  
       There is not  any error in the page or logs (Either Windows event or sharepoint), just say web analytics not available. 
    But the very strange thing is that the web analytics report has nothing wrong for Central Admin site.

Regarding the detail of my problem, please refer to 
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepoint2010setup/thread/bb7a7c92-467b-44b2-b6ec-ce0b2e7f6639

• Edited by Steven ZS Thursday, September 29, 2011 2:11 AM Change formate
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 2:08 AM
  • Hi Steven,

Ahhh, I had a feeling that was a problem.

I had similar issues after installing SP1 so I could have some of the new features, like the storage report back for sites, and deleted sites going into the recycle bin. However, I had read that I *had* to install the June 30 CU as well, which may have been a mistake. Because after installing both and running a psconfigui, it made things as flaky as they were during the beta.

It took my good, stable, trustworthy and solid SPF install and made it unstable. Managed Accounts started acting weird, permissions were odd, BDC service crapped out, user code errors, the works. Bummed me out. I basically blew out the server, did a fresh install and restored from a farm backup (actually a full then differential, gotta love scheduling backups). Mind you, I could afford to do that, and I simply don't mess around with bad updates.

(I also found a post that said that if you have SP1 installed, a common error is if you delete a list, then delete the site, you can restore the site from recycle bin, but the list that was deleted from that site earlier cannot be restored-- so to avoid/fix that problem, install the August CU... it's always something...)

Do you have backups of your farm pre-updates, preferably both, but at least the CU? Maybe you can do a restore on a virtual machine to see if it fixes your issues?

Also, here's another question. After you installed SP1 and the August CU, did you do a psconfigUI.exe (or at the command line, psconfig.exe)? It might be good and bad that you didn't (if you didn't). The way to check to see if you didn't is check the database statuses (review database status under Upgrade and Patch Management in Central Admin). The statuses will say that the databases can be/should be updated if you didn't run psconfig. That means that SharePoint has updated, but the databases in SQL haven't.

Maybe you can make a copy of those databases, and try to attach those databases to a pre-update (sp1 and CU) SharePoint Foundation server to see if web analytics work there again. Although, if I am understanding correctly, some changes can occur on databases during updates, but they're not complete til psconfig is run. But hey, it's worth a shot.

Or you can use psconfigui.exe (or psconfig.exe if you want to use the command line) to update the databases and see if that fixes the problem.

I'm sorry again about your issues if they are update related. It is so frustrating to think you are trying to stay up to date on your server, being a good admin, and instead it breaks important things without apology or way to fix it (since cumulative updates cannot be uninstalled, but it is really difficult and potentially expensive to have to fully identical farms running side by side for testing).
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 3:44 AM
  • Hey Steven,

Just found a *great* blog entry about SP1 and updates for SharePoint 2010 (foundation or server) by Spence Harbar. He's mostly ranting, but it's good stuff and something to think about concerning updates. Just thought I'd post it to you, because maybe you might hestitate from now on to do cumulative updates, and if anyone pressures you to do otherwise, you might want to send them this link. : )

http://harbar.net/archive/2011/06/30/327.aspx

His bottom line is: don't use cumulative updates unless they fix a direct problem you're having.

My worry is, of course, that the CU fixes a problem I had, but it also has other fixes for problems I'm not having that break things that were working... and although I can test it, I can't always think of every single thing that can go wrong, and then I can get some obscure, once-in-a-lifetime thing wrong in production because I applied a CU.

Frankly I am very, very, very suspicious of all cumulative updates and avoid them like the plague when I can, because of my experiences with them. If I can, I try to get the direct hotfix for that one problem and use it instead.

Thursday, September 29, 2011 3:58 AM
  • Hi Callahan, Thanks so much for your effort. Yes I did run the psconfigui at least twice, once after apply the patch and another a few days ago after the user report me the web analytics problem. I've read the artlice by Spencen Harbar you mentioned,but unfourunatly I read it too late and I install the SP1 and CU June together (guide from microsoft). I almost give up after many days' research without solution and try to find a 3rd party solutions/features to give the users web analytics report.
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 5:39 AM
  • Hi Steven, I'm sorry to hear that you are stuck using a 3rd party solution. Also that you are stuck with any of the other vague issues that the cumulative update might have left on your server. Bummer. : (
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 1:53 PM
  • Hi Callahan, I will log a support call from Microsoft before I'm going to find a 3rd party solutions. The CU update really sucks. I'll let you know if microsoft can solve it, thanks for your effort very much.
    Friday, September 30, 2011 4:16 AM
  • Thanks so much Steven. I would really appreciate any info you could bring back, both in terms of recovering web analytics (if it's possible) after doing the CU, and if not, how to safely remove the offending CU (or parts of it) to get web analytics working again.

Sorry you couldn't get your problem fixed here, and thanks for being patient about it (especially since many of us, like myself, are in the same boat- I just didn't get the exact problem you did...this time...). It's kind of frustrating, thinking the problem is a common issue and can be fixed, and instead it is likely to be a vague, mystical, update-you-can't-uninstall problem instead. : (

Hey (I'ved edited to add), and Steven, for others who might google and find this thread, if you could mark one of the replies as the most helpful to your issue, or as an answer (because if you don't someone else will, and may not choose the one that you agree with) it might help them slog through this thread looking for some solutions. I just thought of it, but I know that I get a little frustrated with these threads when the real actual answer isn't the one marked as such.

• Edited by CA Callahan Friday, September 30, 2011 4:44 AM forgot something
    Friday, September 30, 2011 4:33 AM
  • Hi,

I enabled Usage and Health data collection like instructed at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee663480.aspx and started to follow MossDev's instructions but in the Central Admin > Application Management > Service Applications > Manage Service Applications > New... > W.A.S.A., I do not have ability to create new W.A.S.A? I only have Business Data Connectivity Services -option and nothing else.

What is wrong? In the Manage Service Applications I can see WSS_UsageApplication and the type of it is "Usage and Health Data Collection Service Application" and it is started. It is the Usage and Health data collection that I enabled.

What to do next?

Wednesday, April 4, 2012 10:32 AM
  • Hi Junkelo. I suspect you are using SharePoint Foundation 2010, not SharePoint Server 2010, correct? SharePoint Foundation does not have a service application for Web Analytics. Only SharePoint Server has the Web Analytics service application (among others-Business Data Connectivity service is the only one surfaced in the GUI for SharePoint Foundation). The instructions that you have been following are for SharePoint Server 2010. Sorry about that. If you *do* have SharePoint Server 2010, please disregard. ;)

Wednesday, April 4, 2012 1:36 PM
  • Ok. I understood wrong. I though that with these instructions I can enable Web Analytics for Foundation also.

So, is there any way for me to enable usage statistics for Foundation?

Thursday, April 5, 2012 7:29 AM
  • When you enable Usage and Health Data Collection, it automatically enables what limited web analytics SharePoint Foundation has. Wait about 24 hours after you Enable Usage and Health Data Collection, so it can gather and analyze some information that it can put into its reports.

After that time, you can view Health Reports under Monitoring in Central Administration. And, in site collections, on the settings page, you can select to see the Site Collection Web Analytics reports or the site's web analytics. For each subsite, they also offer Site Web Analytic reports.

One big difference between the web analytics of SharePoint Foundation and that of Server, is the Analyze tab for the Site Web Analytics report does not work. It's there, frustratingly enough, but the buttons are grayed out. Or at least-- it's never worked for me. ;)

So- to recap- when you enable Usage and Health Data Collection in Central Administration, you HAVE enabled Web Analytics. That's as far as SharePoint Foundation can go to customize web analytics. You just need to wait at least a day for Usage and Health Data Collection to put things in the Logging database the capability creates.

Having said that, there are *all kinds* of free tools out there to better analyze what's going on in your SharePoint sites than the web analytics capabilities. So do not despair. Wait a day, check out the reports. See if they work for you. If not, check out Indihiang at Codeplex (indihiang.codeplex.com), or Webalizer, or any number of limited but free monitoring tools from common SharePoint vendors.

Hope this helps.

Thursday, April 5, 2012 4:22 PM
  • I am not sure what you're asking. Basically, web analytics *is* usage statistics. They are pretty much one in the same- it's just the way Microsoft has chosen to name things, you enable Usage data collection to be able to have content in the web analytics reports.

However, to be clear, what are you looking for here? I was assuming you were trying to get the health and web analytics reports to work in SharePoint Foundation. Are you looking for something else?

Saturday, April 7, 2012 12:09 AM
  • Hi,

Just as follow up, I got web analytics to work but the info is not as good what it should be but at least something.

Friday, April 20, 2012 7:54 AM
  • Try SharePoint Document Analytics by Vinewave (disclaimer: I work there), it enables usage analytics in Foundation: http://www.vinewave.com/Products/DocumentAnalytics.aspx

Lawrence

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 11:24 AM
  • Hi,

To use Site Collection Web Analytics reports for SharePoint Foundation 2010 you need to upgrade the visual to 2010 and activate Report Server Integration Feature from Site Collection Administration  Features

Sunday, July 6, 2014 3:42 AM
  • Hi Steven,

If you are still looking for a third party solution I suggest CardioLog Analytics. They are the only solution that provides comprehensive reporting for both on-prem and SaaS.

http://www.intlock.com/

Tuesday, December 30, 2014 9:12 AM
  • Try CardioLog Analytics, they have very comprehensive reporting with a free edition as well.

www.intlock.com

Tuesday, December 30, 2014 9:14 AM