none
Upgrading from 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• So my new company is currently on Exchange 2010 CU8 and they want me to upgrade them to either 2013 or 2016. I am fine doing either but they are not so keen on getting their current environment to SP3 as it poses a huge risk for them. 

This environment has not been well maintained at all, no CU's in over 6 years, OS patching that was months behind. They also set up applications and relays to point to one server even though they have LB's with a VIP already. 

They have asked me to find a way to minimize the risk and see if I can avoid upgrading to SP3 even though SP3 CU5 is needed for migration to 2013 and later is needed for migration to 2016.

So, my only suggestion is to third party the move(copy), not really a migration as much as it is a copy to a new environment.

With that being said, my question is can I stand up an Exchange 2013/2016 environment in our domain even though there is a Exchange already there? I am just trying to find solutions and I keep hitting road blocks.. 

Tuesday, October 15, 2019 12:51 PM

All replies

•  ok s a few things

1. While you may have already reviewed check out the following in detail https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/checklist-upgrade-from-exchange-2010-exchange-2013-help

2. for coexistence of 2010 and 2013 you have to meet these minimums https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/exchange-2013-system-requirements-exchange-2013-help

3. If you can meet the above for coexistence the next step is how to accomplish migration and I see a few potential paths

• Standup another 2010 server, apply all patches and then migrate from existing 2010 server to new fully patched server so that you can then migrate them to 2013/2016
    • Another option would be to install a 2013/2016 server make offline copies of the 2010 EDB's, ensure they are accessible with DigiScope https://www.lucid8.com/DigiScope/HowItWorks, then dial tone the Production 2010 DB's, patch the original 2010 server, then migrate the data which will be smaller post dial-tone and when done use DigiScope to direct inject data from the offline 2010 copies into the production server

Search, Recover, Export Mailboxes, Contacts, Calendars, Tasks from ALL versions of Exchange Offline EDB's, On-Premises Exchange Databases & Office 365. Export, Migrate/Recover into On-Premises Exchange Server, Office 365 with Lucid8's DigiScope

Tuesday, October 15, 2019 1:12 PM
  • Hi Brendan McGovern,

As Troy suggested above, if you want to deploy Exchange 2010 and 2013 coexistence environment,

you’ll need to do the following before you install Exchange 2013:

Verify Exchange Server 2010 Service Pack 3 (SP3) is installed on all the Exchange servers in your organization.
    Verify at least Update Rollup 5 for Exchange 2010 Service Pack 3 (KB2917508) is installed on all the Exchange 2010 SP3 servers in your organization.
    Install a hotfix for Outlook Anywhere on any Exchange 2010 SP3 computers running Windows 2008 R2. 

These information will be detailedly told in Exchange Deployment Assistance

Regards,

Joyce Shen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 6:05 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update about your issue?

Regards,

Joyce Shen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 18, 2019 1:11 AM
  • Hi,

Do you have any further issue on this topic?

Meanwhile, if there is no issue, please remember to mark helpful reply as answer to close the thread. Your action would be helpful to other users who encounter the same issue and read this thread.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

Joyce Shen

Thursday, October 24, 2019 9:20 AM
  • just an update, still waiting approval for even the slightest bit of patching to Sp3. 

running out of patients with this, fix our environment, but dont update it.  kill me now

Monday, October 28, 2019 7:24 PM
  • I'd argue that you are already in a critical risk situation.  Missing critical OS patches.  Missing critical Exchange patches.

Running an unsupported version of Exchange.  On a OS platform that will go out of support in January 2020.....

Take some good backups, and plan to move this forward.  Do not just move to 2020 SP3 RU5 - there are more than another 20 RUs after that (yes - twenty) and they address interoperability issues with 2016.  

Do not expect a lot of sympathy if you report issues when on SP3 RU5.  Guess what will be asked of you.....

Cheers,

Rhoderick

Microsoft Senior Exchange PFE

Blog: http://blogs.technet.com/rmilne  Twitter:   LinkedIn:   Facebook:   XING:

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Wednesday, October 30, 2019 2:16 AM
  • Hi,

Do suggestions above help? If you have any questions or needed further help on this issue, please feel free to post back. If the issue has been resolved, please mark the helpful replies as answers, this will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well.

Regards,

Joyce Shen

Friday, November 1, 2019 9:25 AM