How do I enlarge the Outlook window for "New Mail Alerts" ? RRS feed

• Question

• I create rules to automatically file incoming email and set an alert to notify me.  Some days I get up to 30 email alerts.  the "New Mail Alerts" window that pops up is so small, that I cannot easily see all teh emails contained therein.  How do I enlarge this window to a size making it useful?
    Wednesday, May 16, 2012 10:34 PM

Answers

• In addition to Rex Zhang's reply;
    You can also create a Search Folder which displays all today's unread mail.

For instructions to set it up see; http://www.msoutlook.info/question/122

Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
    Outlook guides and more: HowTo-Outlook.com
    Outlook Quick Tips: MSOutlook.info

• Marked as answer by Rex Zhang Wednesday, May 23, 2012 8:26 AM
    Friday, May 18, 2012 9:16 AM
  • Hi,

Base on the test, the New Mail Alerts window isn’t resizable. But we still can drag the scroll bar to see all the new received emails. And I suggest you can preview the new incoming messages in Outlook instance.

Sincerely
    Rex Zhang

Rex Zhang

TechNet Community Support

• Edited by Rex Zhang Friday, May 18, 2012 3:42 AM
    Friday, May 18, 2012 3:41 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Base on the test, the New Mail Alerts window isn’t resizable. But we still can drag the scroll bar to see all the new received emails. And I suggest you can preview the new incoming messages in Outlook instance.

Sincerely
    Rex Zhang

Rex Zhang

TechNet Community Support

• Edited by Rex Zhang Friday, May 18, 2012 3:42 AM
    Friday, May 18, 2012 3:41 AM
  • In addition to Rex Zhang's reply;
    You can also create a Search Folder which displays all today's unread mail.

For instructions to set it up see; http://www.msoutlook.info/question/122

Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
    Outlook guides and more: HowTo-Outlook.com
    Outlook Quick Tips: MSOutlook.info

Friday, May 18, 2012 9:16 AM
  • I'm really surprised to see both this problem and this question remaining unresolved, 5 years later. Like Craig, I am so frustrated with the tiny rule alert box. If it was resizable, we could at least see all of the from address, subject line and date of an email alerted by a rule, but as it is we can see only an inch or two of each--regardless of one's monitor resolution. It's truly a preposterous situation in 2017.

I'm sure part of the problem is that that among all who use outlook, many don't use rules. And of those who do, they may not setup such notifications for the rule (to cause that alert). Among those who do, many may have simplistic needs to simply open whatever email appears in the alert. Perhaps Craig is in the same boat I am: just because I do see things in the alert window, I don't necessarily want to open each. I want to assess things based on that key from, subject, and date/time info (and the time I have at the moment).

To the respondent who recommended search folders, I'm a huge (huge) fan of those, but they are not the answer to this problem. Especially when one DOES have many folders and search folders, the whole point of the alerts feature is to be notified specifically when something came in meeting some characteristics that would trigger the rule that fires the alert.

No, the solution is that someone on the Outlook/Office/Windows team just needs to revisit whatever decision was made 20 years ago to use a UI element in that alert box that precludes its resizing. I've not myself encountered any other Windows UI element that had this needless restriction. But I realize this post alone won't likely get the attention fo the right people. At least it will be here for others who may find it as the first result in Google (like I did), and to see that the responses so far ought not be the last word on the subject. :-)

Thursday, April 20, 2017 11:34 AM
  • ++++++++++++

I'm really surprised to see both this problem and this question remaining unresolved, 5 years later. Like Craig, I am so frustrated with the tiny rule alert box.

No, the solution is that someone on the Outlook/Office/Windows team just needs to revisit whatever decision was made 20 years ago to use a UI element in that alert box that precludes its resizing. I've not myself encountered any other Windows UI element that had this needless restriction.

++++++++++++

Agreed!  Come on, Microsoft; maybe it's not the most requested fix, but it'd be darned useful.  Even if we had the option to make it half-again as wide, and four times taller, that would help.  We've long passed 1024x768 display resolutions; we can give it a little more real estate, without cutting into the other stuff we're using.

Friday, June 30, 2017 4:08 PM
  • Well said. Would make this window much more useful.
    Friday, August 11, 2017 7:23 PM
  • I have to add another "AGREED" to this post.  The fact that in 2017, ANY window within ANY MS Windows program cannot be resized is absolutely ridiculous! With 24" (PLUS) monitors frequently in use now, why do we have to stick to a rule some programmer made 20 years ago when a 14" monitor was considered "huge"?? Really Microsoft, get it together would you!  This is not a big deal and we all know it is a VERY easy "fix" (fix a problem that should never have existed in the first place).  It is a really sad situation when all of us who have read and/or posted to this forum KNOW without a doubt that NOTHING will be done about this and MS will not even reply or comment on it!  I would love it if we could all "take our business somewhere else" and have it actually hurt revenues, but it would be equivalent to taking a penny out of a Microsoft bank account....no one is going to care!

On the OFF CHANCE asomeone at MS actually reads this and gives it a thought, hear this please....

Wednesday, August 16, 2017 11:29 PM
  • I too am completely frustrated by this ridiculous issue.  The silly box even has a maximize button, but it does nothing!  I have used this notification feature for years.  I wish they would make it work as it should.

Friday, December 1, 2017 11:07 PM
  • "Piling on." This is one of those aggravations every day to me. . . .
    Monday, April 30, 2018 5:30 PM
  • Yes, me too. This is one of the most ridiculous restrictions ever devised. Even in the days of smaller monitors it was stupid.  I get hundreds of emails daily and nightly and these alerts, I have over 100 defined, make my life much easier but are greatly hampered by having to resize the columns every time and not having a decent number of rows included. Come on Microsoft, what is the excuse for this long term blunder?

Regards,

John Madden

Tuesday, May 15, 2018 11:22 AM
  • Add my upvote for fixing this - now at Dec 2018 and still no attention paid to such a basic feature. Really?
    Saturday, December 8, 2018 5:55 PM
  • February 2019, nothing. I just realized that this feature would help me tremendously in my day to day activities. (I've been using Outlook for 20 years, but obviously not a POWER user!) But, man... the size is not very useful when you need to go through 20 emails scrolling line by line. Seems very basic... Like I wouldn't even think it would BE an option anymore to not be able to resize an interactive window.
    Monday, February 18, 2019 3:05 PM
  • Last part of March '19, another user checking in on this, smh (shaking my head for you non-texters).

Search Folders won't work for many of us.  I have a Search Folder for unread mail, but it's too full, and there are only SPECIFIC messages that I want in the Alerts window anyway.

In IT, sometimes I get upwards of 300 legit messages - servers successfully or unsuccessfully backed up; legitimate users logging in via VPN, people locked out of Windows, spam reports, printers out of paper, and equipment online, or failures, etc.  Most of them have rules set to send them to a certain folder and are deleted if not needed after X amount of time.

But some things I need to have brought to my immediate attention.  If I'm working with a user and something important happens, by the time I field three more phone calls and two help desk tickets, it may be way down in the Inbox or Unread folder by the time I look again, and I may not see it at all!  So, I set a rule for an email on specific words or from specific email addresses so that it SOUNDS A TONE and puts it in my Alerts window. 

Yes, I could sound a tone and have a separate search folder for each of those events, but do you know how many resources that chews up?  I have to close Outlook windows as it is because I have to monitor too many things.  And I have a reasonably powerful PC compared to many fellow (non-IT) employees.

Anyway, I'm going to look for a Registry entry, and hope I can size it that way.  Will try to remember to repost if I find a fix.

Thursday, March 21, 2019 11:38 PM
  • Credit to the original poster - carehart - who so eloquently described this problem 2 years ago - at that time 5 years ongoing - now 7 years ongoing. truly a preposterous situation in 2019, March 28.

Tiny microsoft outlook new mail alert window that can't be enlarged. no way to see all the sort columns, can't sort the mails. can't delete from the alert window the ones already taken care of. it's a ridiculously limited functionality. like everyone else who uses this feature - we've already moved the alerted emails to their proper folders - so there is no point to searching a single folder - unless we change our alerts to only go to a single folder, from which we then have to manually move the emails afterwards. 

it really is mind-boggling that the 2nd richest company in the world can't dedicate a response team to properly resolve user issues. The idea that we are reduced to venting on this board - which microsoft obviously doesn't give 2 sh*ts about - and because they've conditioned the population to the notion that computers & software are supposed to have bugs and glitches - these tech companies get away with it. no other physical product on the market could get away with these types of overpriced product deficiencies. 

agreed that a programmer could fix this in an hour. microsoft 360 is now web-based - absolutely no excuse.

Thursday, March 28, 2019 2:48 PM
  • Absolutely AGREE with you!  I have been asking for this change for SO LONG now, even this (now) 7 year old post does not surprise me. I discovered Outlook Rules in Office XP, hey, we are talking almost  20 YEARS ago. The resizing of the alert window was not available as far back as then (perhaps even longer?); but there was HOPE at least as MS said they were "looking into it". This is a FAR BETTER response than the long-standing, current trend Microsoft has adopted - now they just IGNORE any and all requests and/or discussions about making this extremely EASY FIX! Back when 'Rules' first appeared, there were many of us who immediately saw the fantastic benefits 'Rules' offered, and we happily began implementing them. There were s a few great years where we saw the Rules Wizard mature and expand at a steady, but rapid pace. MS CARED about Outlook and its features; they cared about their customers and actually took suggestions and advice from us "lowly users".

I will never understand why this option, or change, was not implemented in 2001.  I sure do not get why it is STILL being requested AND IGNORED in 2019. Come on Microsoft, it is well past the time for you to "step up", begin to TRULY appreciate your customer base  and make this simple change!

Sunday, June 16, 2019 11:56 PM
  • Any luck with the Registry?  I poked around myself a few years back, but did not find any solutions (wow, JUST LIKE this forum, NO solution found!)

If you stumble on anything good, please let us all know.

Cheers

Monday, June 17, 2019 12:01 AM
  • It's now September of 2019 and this is STILL an issue and a frustration.  There are SO many nice things about Outlook, but THIS is NOT one of them.  It would seem to be a simple code change... one that resembles most windows produced by MS products.  What would this take... a couple hours, including testing time??
    Saturday, September 21, 2019 6:43 AM
  • This is a shame
    Saturday, December 21, 2019 12:46 AM
  • June 2020 and still no fix 🤔
    • Edited by IvanTT Tuesday, June 16, 2020 2:59 PM
    Tuesday, June 16, 2020 2:59 PM
  • July 2020... Bump!
    Friday, July 17, 2020 7:17 AM
  • August 2020, STILL not addressed/resolved? Seriously, Microsoft? 
    Friday, August 7, 2020 12:15 PM