none
Office 2010's Insert Hyperlink dialog box freezes/hangs/delayed/slow

Question

• Hi All,

I'm running Office Pro Plus 2010 on Win 7 Enterprise (Citrix VDI) on a domain.

In Word 2010, I click Insert Hyperlink. It opens the Insert Hyperlink dialog to My Documents. I then click on the "Look in:" dropdown list and the application freezes for about 30 seconds. I then see a long list of PCs/servers when all I wanted was to see my mapped and removable drives. This happens every time I close and then again open an Office 2010 application. My mapped drives are all active.

If I start Word using:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\WINWORD.EXE" /a

The Insert Hyperlink dialog functions fine and does not query all the PCs/servers on the network, only my mapped drives and removable devices.

So what I've done to troubleshoot this is I've renamed my normal.dotm in my profile and I've deleted the registry keys:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Word\Data
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Word\Options

So what could be causing my Insert Hyperlink dialog to be querying for all the PCs/servers on the network instead of just showing me my mapped drives/removable devices?

Thanks!

Sincerely,

Josh

Tuesday, August 02, 2011 5:36 PM

Answers

• Change the user Shell folder Reg key for the desktop not to point to UNC mapping but point to a mapped drive for example/

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

Change Desktop to drive mapping for example H:\Desktop

If the issue still occurs start change all unc paths to drive letters.
    • Proposed as answer by sivhead Monday, August 06, 2012 3:16 PM
    • Edited by sivhead Monday, August 06, 2012 3:30 PM
    • Marked as answer by William Zhou CHN Tuesday, August 28, 2012 1:56 AM
    Monday, August 06, 2012 3:16 PM

All replies

• Hi

Thank you for using Microsoft Office for IT Professionals Forums.

From your description, Have you added your Mapped drives or removable devices path to trusted location to test this issue.

You can follow these steps to ADD A TRUSTED LOCATION

1. Click the File tab. The Microsoft Office Backstage view appears.
    2. Under Help, click Options; the Options dialog box appears.
    3. Click Trust Center.
    4. Click Trust Center Settings.
    5. In the Trust Center, click Trusted Locations.
    6. Click the Add new location button; the Trusted Locations dialog box appears.
    7. Click Browse to find the folder; select a folder and then click OK.

Add, remove, or modify a trusted location for your files

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/infopath-help/add-remove-or-modify-a-trusted-location-for-your-files-HA010354311.aspx?CTT=1

Please take your time to try the suggestions and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If anything is unclear or if there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Sincerely

William Zhou

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Monday, August 08, 2011 2:05 AM
  • This is a great tip

thank you

• Edited by Ronald Rossi Thursday, September 08, 2011 8:45 PM
    Thursday, September 08, 2011 8:45 PM
  • Hi William Zhou,

I have tried this steps but i can't add network or remote path..

There is another possible to insert network paths?

Sincerly

Herbst Fulterer André

Thursday, November 03, 2011 10:26 AM
  • I know this is an old thread, but we have the same problem here, was a resolution found?  

The only thing that I've read that has been useful so far was the suggestion that it was due to Redirected folders pointing to a UNC path, and once that path was changed for a drive letter, the problem stopped. 

This isn't very preactical at my work due to an overuse of network mappings...  Any idea if any other workaround are available?

Monday, April 30, 2012 2:55 PM
  • Hi everyone,

just had this at a clients site, can you try deleting the Normal.dotm and trying again? Seemed to be an issue with this as their network is split between a datacentre and head office, nothing else seemed to work.

Cheers

James

Monday, May 07, 2012 10:24 PM
  • Hiya,

Nope this didn't resolve the issue for me.  I will whip up a new GPO for myself and map my redirected folder to see if that floats when I get a moment.

Cheers,

Neil.

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 9:18 AM
  • Looking for answers to the same problem.

Interesting point though. If I log on to the server with my normal user account, this issue occurs and the Hyperlink insert locks up. But if I log in to the server as Administrator, the Hyperlink insert works everytime (and quickly too).

I'm trying to determine what permissions are being denied to normal users that would cause this issue.

Maybe this opens a new path for the forum to search.

Bob

Wednesday, May 09, 2012 3:33 PM
  • Hello,

Also looking for a possible solution to this. User is set up as a standard user, added the path's to trusted location, but no change.

• Proposed as answer by DLawsonSTG Friday, June 29, 2012 3:07 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by DLawsonSTG Friday, June 29, 2012 3:07 PM
    Thursday, June 14, 2012 5:00 PM
  • Turned out to be a bad zip file on our end.

-- Douglas

Friday, June 29, 2012 3:07 PM
  • Change the user Shell folder Reg key for the desktop not to point to UNC mapping but point to a mapped drive for example/

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

Change Desktop to drive mapping for example H:\Desktop

If the issue still occurs start change all unc paths to drive letters.
    • Proposed as answer by sivhead Monday, August 06, 2012 3:16 PM
    • Edited by sivhead Monday, August 06, 2012 3:30 PM
    • Marked as answer by William Zhou CHN Tuesday, August 28, 2012 1:56 AM
    Monday, August 06, 2012 3:16 PM
  • Great tip. That worked for my environment. Does anybody know why this behavior appears and perhaps Microsoft will fixed it?
    • Proposed as answer by ahrentom Wednesday, August 22, 2012 1:19 PM
    Wednesday, August 22, 2012 1:19 PM
  • This is not really a fix as folder redirection GPO is reapplied at next computer reboot.<o:p></o:p>

You are also unable to add a folder redirection path to a physical drive letter as only
    a UNC path is valid in the GPO properties.<o:p></o:p>

There must be another permanent solution to this issue.

<o:p>Thanks,</o:p>

Friday, February 15, 2013 8:35 AM
  • We've also got this issue in our environment and are using folder redirection. The workaround proposed by sivhead fixes the problem but as the previous poster pointed out, this is not a permanent solution in an environment with folder redirection implemented via GPO as the registry key is reverted to its original state on rebooting the PC.

Would be nice to hear if MS plan to address this, the original poster was experiencing this problem as far back as 2011.

Thanks

Monday, February 18, 2013 2:09 PM
  • Known issues with Office if Desktop or My Documents is redirected - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2816253/en-us
    • Proposed as answer by rpr.nospam Monday, November 13, 2017 2:45 PM
    Thursday, September 05, 2013 3:05 PM