none
Can't Edit AutoCAD Drawings (Error 1415) RRS feed

• Question

• I like to copy AutoCAD drawings directly from AutoCAD model space and paste them into Visio.  Usually I can edit the drawing in AutoCAD by double clicking on the drawing in Visio.  However, certain drawings keep giving me the "1415" error stating that is is unable to open the drawing.  Sometimes the drawings open, but most times they don't.  I have resaved the drawings in older versions of AutoCAD to make sure this wasn't a compatibility issue.  Is there a way to fix this error?  Thanks
    Friday, October 12, 2012 5:36 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Based on my research, if we choose to do a custom installation of Microsoft Visio with all Add-ons marked as "install on first use", and attempt to edit an embedded AutoCad (CAD) object, the error message may appear.

In order to display and work with inserted AutoCad (CAD) objects in Microsoft Visio, we must install the CAD Drawing component.  Following the steps to do so:

• Click Start menu, click Control Panel.
        • Click Programs and Features.
        • Select Microsoft Visio Premium 2010, and then click Change.
        • Click Add or Remove Features, then click Continue.
        • Expand Microsoft Visio,  Add-ons (US units) by clicking the plus sign.
        • Click CAD Drawing.
        • Click Run from My Computer.
        • Click Continue.

Jaynet Zhang

TechNet Community Support

Monday, October 15, 2012 7:30 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on my research, if we choose to do a custom installation of Microsoft Visio with all Add-ons marked as "install on first use", and attempt to edit an embedded AutoCad (CAD) object, the error message may appear.

In order to display and work with inserted AutoCad (CAD) objects in Microsoft Visio, we must install the CAD Drawing component.  Following the steps to do so:

• Click Start menu, click Control Panel.
        • Click Programs and Features.
        • Select Microsoft Visio Premium 2010, and then click Change.
        • Click Add or Remove Features, then click Continue.
        • Expand Microsoft Visio,  Add-ons (US units) by clicking the plus sign.
        • Click CAD Drawing.
        • Click Run from My Computer.
        • Click Continue.

Jaynet Zhang

TechNet Community Support

Monday, October 15, 2012 7:30 AM
  • Alternative quick solution:  Grab (copy) something the same as the object source that you can't edit and paste it special as that application's object into Visio.  Then edit the newly pasted object in Visio.  After that, you should be able to edit your old objects of the same application source.  For example, I had some Word 2010 tables in Visio 2010 on which I received error 1415.  I pasted special a random scrap of Word content into the same Visio file as "Microsoft Word Document" and double clicked to edit.  After that, I was able to magically edit the old Word objects on which I had just received the error 1415.  There seems to be a problem in Visio with the Add-ons starting.  This method forces the Add-on to launch.

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 7:53 PM