How to remove WPS Office RRS feed

• Question

• My new Windows 10 laptop came with WPS Office pre-installed. I've not used it as I have Office 2013. But, every so often, WPS Office kicks into life and wants to run an expansion tool - ALWAYS without any prompting from me. I always decline but it keeps happening - and I keep declining!

Today even worse, I discovered that WPS Office has been secretly checking for updates. It has quietly downloaded and installed a newer version of WPS Office onto my PC. WORSE STILL, the wretched WPS Office has changed all (and I mean all) of my Office-related file associations. So, every time I double-click on a Word file, for example, the wretched WPS Office fires up in place of Word 2013. My Office 2013 programs (Word, Excel etc) have been effectively side-lined by this unwanted WPS cr*p.

So, I did a system restore back to the day before the unwanted new install of WPS Office took place. This has taken me back to the original version of WPS Office. That's fine, and my file associations are now pointing to Microsoft Office 2013 again (which is what I want).

But I then tried to uninstall WPS Office from my computer (i.e. via Control Panel / Programs and Features). I scrolled down to WPS Office and clicked "Uninstall/Change". But it keeps failing with the following error message:

"Au_.exe has stopped working. ... Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

How do I destroy this rubbish from my PC? Any advice would be appreciated.

Tuesday, November 8, 2016 9:10 PM

Answers

• Kinsoft advised to install the latest version of WPS Office from its web site and then try the uninstall again.

This worked. WPS Office has been uninstalled.

• Marked as answer by Bertram12 Saturday, November 12, 2016 7:18 AM
    Saturday, November 12, 2016 7:18 AM

All replies

• No guarantees. Try this Revo Uninstall.

It usually gets the job done when we are unable to uninstall via Programs and Features.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

No need to buy the Pro version.
    Scroll down to Revo Uninstall Freeware section and click the Free download.

• Edited by david hk129 Tuesday, November 8, 2016 9:32 PM
    Tuesday, November 8, 2016 9:25 PM
  • Hi Bertram12,

I suggest that we could boot into the Safe Mode and try reinstall it again.

Then we could click Start menu, search for regedit. Click to run regedit editor. In regedit editor, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Kingsoft. Right click on Kingsoft to delete it. Then go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER > SOFTWARE > Kingsoft. Right click on Kingsoft to delete it. 

Also some third party software could clean the app.

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 9, 2016 6:46 AM
  • Hi Bertram12,

Please refer to this and try.
    Kingsoft WPS Office. How to remove?
    http://tunecomp.net/kingsoft-wps-office-remove/

Regards,
    Ashidacchi
    Wednesday, November 9, 2016 7:13 AM
  • Hi Bertram12,

Please refer to this and try.
    Kingsoft WPS Office. How to remove?
    http://tunecomp.net/kingsoft-wps-office-remove/

Thanks for all your replies. Current status is that the uninstall program is broken. Each time, I try to uninstall WPS Office, I get an error - "Au_.exe has stopped working". That's the uninstall program presumably.

I have just made contact with Kingsoft support. Before I start hacking the registry or trying 3rd Party uninstall programs, I thought it best to see what they've got to say. I do think it pretty outrageous that the wretched program was secretly checking for updates without the user (i.e. me) even knowing it was running.

I will try and post an answer here in due course. Thanks again.

• Marked as answer by Bertram12 Saturday, November 12, 2016 7:16 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Bertram12 Saturday, November 12, 2016 7:16 AM
    Thursday, November 10, 2016 8:16 AM
  • Kinsoft advised to install the latest version of WPS Office from its web site and then try the uninstall again.

This worked. WPS Office has been uninstalled.

• Marked as answer by Bertram12 Saturday, November 12, 2016 7:18 AM
    Saturday, November 12, 2016 7:18 AM
  • Hi Bertram12,

Glad to hear that you have found a solution and thank you for sharing it here, it will be helpful to other community members who have same questions.

Best regards,

Carl

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 14, 2016 9:13 AM
  • I got rid of it by removing every reference to "kingsoft" in Registry.
    Tuesday, June 5, 2018 3:34 AM