none
Offspon.exe, what is it? Is it a malware?

General discussion

• Hi,

Recently, I bought a new laptop that comes with Microsoft Office Starter 2010 and Q-partition named "Microsoft Office Click-to-Run" (i.e. the partition is protected and does not let me to access it). Then, I installed AVG 2011 and Microsoft Office Professional 2010.

After I successfully installed both software, AVG threw an error or warning message saying that it found "Q:\140066.enu\office14\offspon.exe" and considered it as malware. AVG asked me whether I want to move it to the virus vault or want to leave it as it is. I'm not quite sure that the file is a malware because I just bought this computer and rarely used a browser to serve websites, except those of hotmail and avg. So, I chose to leave it as it is since I found on Google that some people cannot open the office when they transferred the file to the vault.

So, this makes me curious (and worried) what Offspon.exe is, is it some kinds of viruses or spywares and whether I can leave it there. I did some research on this issue but the number of answers is limited and not that's much help.

Also, can I delete the Click-to-Run partition (i.e. Q:\) since I already bought and installed a full version of Microsoft Office on my computer?

Thanks

• Moved by Carey FrischMVP Thursday, October 14, 2010 4:17 AM Moved to appropriate forum category (From:Office Genuine Advantage Validation Issues (Office))
    • Changed type Jennifer Zhan Friday, October 15, 2010 8:35 AM
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 4:10 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Recently, I bought a new laptop that comes with Microsoft Office Starter 2010 and Q-partition named "Microsoft Office Click-to-Run" (i.e. the partition is protected and does not let me to access it). Then, I installed AVG 2011 and Microsoft Office Professional 2010.

After I successfully installed both software, AVG threw an error or warning message saying that it found "Q:\140066.enu\office14\offspon.exe" and considered it as malware. AVG asked me whether I want to move it to the virus vault or want to leave it as it is. I'm not quite sure that the file is a malware because I just bought this computer and rarely used a browser to serve websites, except those of hotmail and avg. So, I chose to leave it as it is since I found on Google that some people cannot open the office when they transferred the file to the vault.

So, this makes me curious (and worried) what Offspon.exe is, is it some kinds of viruses or spywares and whether I can leave it there. I did some research on this issue but the number of answer is limited.

Also, can I delete the Click-to-Run partition (i.e. Q:\) since I already bought and installed a full version of Microsoft Office on my computer?

Thanks

You should have appropriately deleted the Starter version of Office prior to installing your Pro version.  Had you done this then the Q: drive would have also been removed with it's contents.

My suggestion now is to uninstall the Pro version (all settings will be retained on reinstall later) and then uninstall the Starter version.  Reboot the computer, insure that the Q: drive is removed and reinstall the Pro version.  This would give you the cleanest install of your Pro version.
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 4:19 AM
  • Thanks LVTravel for your quick response.

I will uninstall both MS Office Pro and Starter, and then reinstall the pro again. Anyway, the file Offspon.exe still puzzles me. What is that file for actually? Is it harmful?

Thursday, October 14, 2010 5:11 AM
  • Hi,

So, this makes me curious (and worried) what Offspon.exe is, is it some kinds of viruses or spywares and whether I can leave it there. I did some research on this issue but the number of answers is limited and not that's much help.

Also, caI n I delete the Click-to-Run partition (i.e. Q:\) since I already bought and installed a full version of Microsoft Office on my computer?

Thanks

Can anyone say what this(OFFspon.exe)  is and is it being erroneously flagged? I intend on continuing to use the starter edition. It seems to be connected to the Offic starter edition and I assume it's OK, but would like to know for sure.
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 1:45 PM
  • Does anyone know what Offspon.exe in Q:\140066.enu\office14\offspon.exe is (i.e. my Q drive is labeled as Click-to-Run??)?

Is the file any kind of spyware, identity theft, virus or any malwares?

Friday, October 15, 2010 2:24 PM
  • offspon.exe is the process that displays the rotating advertisements in Microsoft Office Starter Edition. It is a legitimate program, but because its sole purpose is to display advertisements, AVG may detect it as adware, and display a warning. Even though it is indeed a form of adware, it is 100% non-malicious and harmless, so it is safe to tell AVG to ignore it.
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 6:30 AM
  • That is most helpful torindkfit. Every time I open Word Starter I get the notice of suspected malware and end up sending it to the vault and restarting my laptop, which is annoying. I'm going to ignore it this time and cross my fingers! :)
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 10:25 AM
  • Try OpenOffice. It's free, and free of advertisements. Personally, only the word processor is any good, but at least I don't have to deal with adware!
    Wednesday, December 01, 2010 4:15 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks

the best thing i did about this problem is to uninstall this AVG program and of course change your antivirus.
    Friday, December 17, 2010 2:44 AM
  • i had the same problem; my cousin suggested uninstalling AVG and to use microsoft security essentials instead. i haven't had any problems with it with since.
    Wednesday, December 29, 2010 9:58 PM
  • Just had the same situation with a new PC.  Advertised 1500 Gb HDD.  The HD contained a 14 Gb partition and a 100 Mb partition, as well as the Windows 7 partition.  The first 2 partitions were for booting and Gateway backup programs.  The Q: drive occupies space on your HDD but it is inaccessible and so far, I have not found a way to remove it.  The partition appears to be about 140 Gb in size although, when you try to find out exactly how large it is using partitioning tools or Windows Explorer/properties, you will get no information.  The software acknowledges the presence of the partition/drive but  will or can not give any details.  I gather it's about 140 Gb just from looking at the remaining available space for my HDD.  This is an enormous size just for Microsoft Office 2010.  I mean, even a double DVD would have about 15 Gb size, at the most. 

You tend to assume that MS Office Starter is just like Office Express, a basic set of programs.  I didn't realize it was somehow associated with drive Q.  When i first started the new PC, I was asked whether I wanted to buy Office 2010 .. I said NO and usually, that would be the end of it.

Trying to format over Q will not work and you can't delete it, either.  Something that requires so much space should definitely be mentioned by the PC manufacturer/seller, but I have no info on it.  They just said my PC would come with a 1.5 Tb drive.  It does, but only 1340 Gb of space is actually usable to me. 

I'm not sure of this, but it seems the Q drive is limiting the number of partitions I can create on the hard drive.  It's a huge HDD, so it makes sense to be able to create many partitions on it for data storage and other OSs. 

Anyway, a 140 Gb hidden, inaccessible, unremovable partition is very curious.  I'm planning to return the PC for this reason, among other things.

Juggie ..

Thursday, January 05, 2012 6:20 AM
  • you forgot about one thing - every time you create partition some disk space is lost due to partitioning and system files, etc... the partiotions you create the bigger is this disk space lost. this lost can be quite big. for example:

i have 1 TB disk in computer. with 2 partitions one is 150 GB and the second 781 GB - together its just 931 GB so its less than 1TB.

your situation is similar. this small partition Q is just few GB - i suppose less than 5 - if i have to guess i would say 2 GB max.

• Edited by ITworker25 Thursday, November 22, 2012 7:52 AM
    Thursday, November 22, 2012 7:51 AM