none
WSS 3.0 SP2 broke search

Question

• Installed SP2 for WSS 3.0 and the search function is no longer working.  Here are some of the errors in the event log:

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Windows SharePoint Services 3
    Event Category: Timer
    Event ID: 6398
    Date:  5/8/2009
    Time:  10:05:00 AM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: SERVER
    Description:
    The Execute method of job definition Microsoft.SharePoint.Search.Administration.SPSearchJobDefinition (ID 86d9e767-21ce-4ecd-ba35-437ebc71532b) threw an exception. More information is included below.

The handle is invalid. 

Event Source: Windows SharePoint Services 3
    Event Category: Topology
    Event ID: 8214
    Time:  10:05:32 AM
    Description:
    The description for Event ID ( 8214 ) in Source ( Windows SharePoint Services 3 ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: A request was made for a URL, http://intranet, which has not been configured in Alternate Access Mappings.  Some links may point to the Alternate Access URL for the default zone, http://oursharepoint.  Review the Alternate Access mappings for this Web application at http://server:3969/_admin/AlternateUrlCollections.aspx and consider adding http://intranet as a Public Alternate Access URL if it will be used frequently.  Help on this error: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=114854.

Event Source: Windows SharePoint Services 3 Search
    Event Category: Search service
    Event ID: 10038
    Time:  10:05:46 AM
    Description:
    Query machine 'SERVER' has been taken out of rotation due to this error: The system cannot find the file specified.   0x80070002.  It will be retried in 15 seconds. Component: 9dafc5a5-4706-4448-b230-d05223ffcd24

This has been going on for about a week now and its driving me crazy.  Any help or guidance would be much appreciated.

Friday, May 08, 2009 8:28 PM

Answers

• This issue has finally been resolved!  With a call to Microsoft support and 3 days of work, it sounds like database corruption.  This was an issue that baffled the microsoft support rep.  We ended up creating a new database and bringing data back from the old DB.  thanks Microsoft.
    • Marked as answer by ClayS Friday, May 15, 2009 5:06 PM
    Friday, May 15, 2009 5:06 PM

All replies

• Hi Clay,

I have never experienced this one, but I have seen others report issues that after applying an update that the Search Service Identity somehow changed to run as a Network Service rather than an Active Directory Search Account.  Check the properties for the Windows SharePoint Services Search Service and check the "Log On" tab to make sure it is running as the correct account.

If it is not the following Knowledge Base article contains detailed instructions for specifying the various accounts for MOSS and WSS3.0 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/934838/en-us

For updating the Windows SharePoint Services Search credentials you would use:

stsadm.exe -o spsearch -farmserviceaccount DomainName\UserName -farmservicepassword NewPassword

and

stsadm.exe -o spsearch -farmcontentaccessaccount DomainName\UserName -farmcontentaccesspassword NewPassword

Hopefully that helps.

Sincerely,
    Karl

Sunday, May 10, 2009 1:47 AM
  • Recomend read:
    Deploy software updates for Windows SharePoint Services 3.0
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc288269.aspx

André Lage Microsoft SharePoint and CRM Consultant http://aaclage.blogspot.com
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 11:47 PM
  • Hi,

Is the search server installed on the same machine as the web applications? Eg. a Single server installation?

In that case, could it be that you got some other server updates at the same time. The problem you describe could be what I hade a couple of weeks back: http://mysharepointofview.com/2009/04/search-stopped-working-after-windows-update/

/Mattias
    Mattias Karlsson
    http://mysharepointofview.com
    Monday, May 11, 2009 1:25 PM
  • Hi Mattias,

Yes, this is a single server installation.  Everything is located on this server.  I've tried your solution, but it was unsuccessful.  I did though find your blog to be resourceful. Thanks for the insight.

-Clay

Monday, May 11, 2009 9:18 PM
  • Karl,

I'm now seeing this error under Server services in operations of the Central Administration site for Sharepoint search services:

"Required on Farm, not running"

The service is started under services console.

Also, are the command lines you gave for setting the service account or changing the password of the service account.

Thanks for the info
    Clay

Monday, May 11, 2009 9:28 PM
  • Hi Clay,

The commands I sent do NOT change the passwords, they only specify the username and password for the service account.  The title of the article can be a little misleading. 

It is also tricky because they put the "New Password" in the example.  I believe the reason they put that there is because if a person follows the security practice of changing the passwords of their service accounts that run their application, especially when an employee leaves the company who knew the passwords to those service accounts, and that is typically when these commands would be used to easily update the service accounts.

When you set up the search service originally you had to specify a user account and password on the Search Configuration Page you had to specify a Service Account and a Content Access Account.  You supplied the domain account and the password.  That is all these commands are doing.

Did you look at the properties of the Windows SharePoint Search Service?  When you look at the "Log On" tab is the service running as a Local System Account or as the account you originally specified when you configured search?

Hopefully that helps explain it a little better.

Sincerely,
    Karl

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 3:11 AM
  • This issue has finally been resolved!  With a call to Microsoft support and 3 days of work, it sounds like database corruption.  This was an issue that baffled the microsoft support rep.  We ended up creating a new database and bringing data back from the old DB.  thanks Microsoft.
    • Marked as answer by ClayS Friday, May 15, 2009 5:06 PM
    Friday, May 15, 2009 5:06 PM
  • Can you provide some more details please? I am getting the same issue.

Thanks

Gaurav Wason
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 3:03 AM
  • Here is an overview of the problem and what we did to resolve it.

Problem:

=========

Unable to start search service after upgrading to Service pack 2.

Resolution:

=========

--Checked in Central admin: search service was on Starting.

--Check in services local: local windows share point search service was started.

--Tried to start service using stsadm -o spsearch -action start

--Unable to start it, got error: 'start' action failed.Additional information :the handle is invalid

--Tried to stop the service but got stop action Failed.

--Tried to provision the service using command :- stsadm -o enumservices >services.txt

stsadm.exe -o provisionservice -action start -servicetype " " -servicename spsearch

--Unable to do that.

--Disable the search service from services local.

--Rebooted the server.

--Tried to provision/start service again but got same errors.

--Delete the registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Web Server

Extensions\12.0\WSS\Services\Microsoft.SharePoint.Search.Administration.SPSearchService

--Run psconfig but it failed with error: An Exception of type system.runtime.interopServices.COMExecption was thrown.Additionalexecption information : The Handle is invalid.

--Rebooted the server again

--Check the status in central admin--> services on server

--Search service was still starting.

--Run psconfig again: it completed successfully.

----Search service was still starting.

--In order to check permissions on database server download and install SQL management studio.

--Check the permissions: all permissions were correct.

--Disable timer job definition also restart time service from services local.

--Check the services on server: search service was still on starting stage.

--Restart the timer service and try to unprovision the search service using: stsadm.exe -o provisionservice -action stop -servicetype " " -servicename spsearch

--But got error “unprovision of service spsearch failed. Additional Information: The device is not ready “

--Repair the WSS 3.0 program.

--Also check the registry entry for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Web Server Extensions\12.0\WSS\Services\Microsoft.SharePoint.Search.Administration.SPSearchService

-- Microsoft.SharePoint.Search.Administration.SPSearchService was not there hence import the registry entry.

--Perform repair for WSS 3.0 program.

--Rebooted the server.

--Check the Search service status under services on server but it show ‘starting’

--Disconnect the server from current data base and connect it with new data base.

--Rename DSN entry & modify the registry for WSS server role from SINGLE SERVER to APPLICATION.

--Run psconfig again and create new Farm and connect it to new data base.

--Tried to start Search service again.

--Got error: Handle not valid.

--Check the data base server name in window search services, it was taking wrong database server name hence change the database server name manually.

--Tried to start service again and able to start it.

--Create new web application and create new blank site.

--Took backup of database.

--Open SQl management studio and detach the database from old instance.

--Attach it with new instance.

--Attach it to new site using stsadm –o addcontentdb –url http://server –databasename “ “

--Able to add it successfully.

--Site and Search service were running properly.

MCP, SBSC
    Friday, May 29, 2009 4:31 PM
  • Hi Clay S

Could you please tell more about how you fixed this. Which databases where removed? Do you have any guide on how to accomplish this?

I have the same problem, and I am having big problems figuring out the solution. Please help :)

Regards
    Monday, October 26, 2009 12:26 PM
  • This issue was not fully resolved until I made a call to Microsoft support and used up a free support call as a registered partner.  This issue baffled microsoft techs and literally created a new database and started fresh.  The only information I have is from the support notes that I have already posted.  Calling Microsoft was my last option in getting this fixed cause I could not find anything on forums to fix this issue.  If you use Sharepoint as much as I do, your best bet is to make sure you have backups of the DBs and data and give Microsoft a call.  I'll post anything I find on this issue.

Regards

MCP, SBSC
    Monday, October 26, 2009 8:03 PM
  • You install a SP2 you break the WSS v3 search :(
    I have the same issue and my error is:

The start address <sts3://myserver/contentdbid={6a68a5ab-2b97-419f-9e88-57875d494f39}> cannot be crawled.

Context: Application 'Search index file on the search server', Catalog 'Search'

Details:
     The object was not found.   (0x80041201)

The start address <sts3://myserver:8080/contentdbid={6a68a5ab-2b97-419f-9e88-57875d494f39}> cannot be crawled.

Context: Application 'Search index file on the search server', Catalog 'Search'

Details:
     The object was not found.   (0x80041201)

Can anyone advice on this?
    Thanks in Advance

• Edited by Patrick.I Wednesday, October 28, 2009 12:29 AM hm..
    • Proposed as answer by Patrick.I Wednesday, October 28, 2009 11:40 PM
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 2:19 AM
  • Solved my issue after banging my head :(
    Will have to blog it though

See it here soon:
    http://geekswithblogs.net/naijacoder/Default.aspx
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 3:42 AM
  • Dear All,

I am still unable to start search service. I am using the following command to start "Windows SharePoint Services Search"

stsadm -o spsearch -action start

And I am getting the following error.

'start' action failed. Additional information: The device is not ready.

Please Help me out.

Regards,
    Muhammad Tariq Khan.

Friday, March 26, 2010 3:03 PM
  • Hi,

I am unable to restart the search service Windows SharePoint Services Search. When i try to restart it, i got following error message 

WSS_Search_SP-WEB on SP-DB contains user-defined schema.  Databases must be empt
    y before they can be used.  Delete all of the tables, stored procedures and othe
    r objects or use a different database.

I deleted the entire database and use the following command to start the the sharepoint search service Windows SharePoint Services Search

stsadm -o spsearch -action start

Now i am getting following error message

'start' action failed. Additional information: The device is not ready.

I tried several times but unable to find out any possible solution. Please help me out

• Proposed as answer by markbishop Saturday, March 03, 2012 10:23 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by markbishop Saturday, March 03, 2012 10:24 PM
    • Proposed as answer by markbishop Saturday, March 03, 2012 10:24 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by markbishop Saturday, March 03, 2012 10:24 PM
    • Proposed as answer by markbishop Saturday, March 03, 2012 10:26 PM
    Saturday, March 27, 2010 5:58 AM