none
Send as a Shared Mailbox to a distribution group with a list of allowed senders?? RRS feed

• Question

• Our HR team has a shared mailbox they use for benefits communication.
    We have an All Employees distribution group that restricts senders to members of a specific distribution group.
    We added the HR Team shared mailbox to the security group.

When an HR Team member, working in the desktop version of Outlook 2013, attempts to perform a "send as HR" to the all employees distribution group they receive an NDR saying that the email address is not on the allowed senders list.

We are using Office 365 and have not tried it from the web client.

Wednesday, November 1, 2017 11:18 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Does the HR mailbox have rights to send to the DG?

Thursday, November 2, 2017 12:27 AM
  • Hi Vince,

Based on your description, I know that you got a NDR when you performed  "send as HR" to the all employees distribution group.

Per my experience, the following causes may lead to receive a NDR contains the words "the email address is not on the allowed senders list".

1> We add the other mailboxes to the list in the delivery management of the DG, but the shared mailbox is not included in this list. See the figure as follow:

2. We set up a tranport rule to block the share mailbox to send to the DG.

Please confirm if you did as I mentioned above. If no, feel free to post back!

Best Regards,

Manu Meng
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Thursday, November 2, 2017 9:59 AM
  • if the outlook is in cached mode, most probably it doesn't have updated information about permissions.

you can try to use owa to check the permissions or wait for it to update address book and try the next day.

I think the outlook also tips that you are not allowed to send email to this group if you try to resolve the DL in the to field in new email in outlook. see if you get this message

Thanks & Regards Ramandeep Singh

Thursday, November 2, 2017 12:45 PM
  • Hi,

Does the HR mailbox have rights to send to the DG?

Yes it does.
    Friday, November 3, 2017 8:55 PM
  • The HR shared mailbox is in the list of allowed users

There are no blocking transport rules
    Friday, November 3, 2017 8:56 PM
  • There is an error opening the Shared Mailbox in OWA (Open other mailbox)

It appears that this Shared Mailbox was created in Office 365.  We are running in Hybrid mode so my next step is to:
    Convert the Shared Mailbox to a User Mailbox on Office 365

Migrate the User Mailbox on premise (which should add the user account to AD)

Migrate the User Mailbox to Office 365

Convert the mailbox to a Shared Mailbox 

Hopefully that will fix the issue. 

Friday, November 3, 2017 9:00 PM
  • Hi Vince,

Yes, it is a possible solution to fix the issue, any updates, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Manu Meng
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 8, 2017 2:45 AM
  • Did this fix your issue?  I am running into the same thing.
    Wednesday, October 31, 2018 2:44 PM
  • Me too.  Looks like it should work but no joy.
    Friday, June 28, 2019 3:01 PM