none
Message & Format Text Tabs Greyed Out when Composing New Messages in Outlook 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• when a user is trying to compose a new message or reply to a message,  the message tab options e.g bold/italics is greyed out and the format text tab also.  the cursor is in the body of the message when this is happening.  i have tried changing from HTML to Plain text and Rich text formats but i still have the same issue.  

can anyone help with a solution for this?

Tuesday, July 29, 2014 12:22 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Since you can edit text in safe mode, have you tried disable all add-ins via File > Options > Add-ins?

If this issue continues after you disable all add-ins, please refer to the following KB article and follow the "Step 6: Start Outlook in safe mode" section to troubleshoot the issue:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2934538/en-us

Regards,

Steve Fan
    TechNet Community Support

It's recommended to download and install Configuration Analyzer Tool (OffCAT), which is developed by Microsoft Support teams. Once the tool is installed, you can run it at any time to scan for hundreds of known issues in Office programs.

Wednesday, August 6, 2014 2:28 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please first try to open Outlook in safe mode to check if this issue is caused by problematic add-in. To do this, press Windows key + R to open the Run command, type outlook.exe /safe and press Enter. If this issue would be gone in safe mode, please go to File > Options > Add-ins and disable suspicious add-in to fix the issue.

If the issue continues in safe mode, please navigate to the following path:

C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates

and rename the NormalEmail.dotm file to NormalEmail.old. Then, restart Outlook to check the issue again.

Please let me know the result.

Thanks,

Steve Fan

It's recommended to download and install Configuration Analyzer Tool (OffCAT), which is developed by Microsoft Support teams. Once the tool is installed, you can run it at any time to scan for hundreds of known issues in Office programs.

Wednesday, July 30, 2014 7:32 AM
  • hi steve

I have tried all that you suggested and I still have no joy in normal mode.  it will work that I can edit text in safe mode. 

Friday, August 1, 2014 2:25 PM
  • Hi,

Since you can edit text in safe mode, have you tried disable all add-ins via File > Options > Add-ins?

If this issue continues after you disable all add-ins, please refer to the following KB article and follow the "Step 6: Start Outlook in safe mode" section to troubleshoot the issue:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2934538/en-us

Regards,

Steve Fan

Wednesday, August 6, 2014 2:28 AM