none
Room Resources & Conflicts within recurring meetings RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to configure Exchange to accept a recurring room resource meeting request for any dates that don't conflict, and decline it for those that do?  In my testing I have only been able to get Exchange to either decline all the dates if there is one ore more conflicts, OR accept all the dates regardless of conflicts. 

Let me give you an example of how I want it to work.  Let’s say that I want to book a room for the next three Mondays in November.  I pick a room.  That room is free on Nov 1<sup>st</sup> and Nov 15<sup>th</sup>, but has been booked by someone else for a different meeting on Nov 8<sup>th</sup>.    When I send the meeting request to the room, here’s what should happen

Mon, Nov 1<sup>st</sup> – no conflict – ACCEPT request and book room

Mon, Nov 8<sup>th</sup> – conflict – DECLINE request – do not book room. 

Mon, Nov 15<sup>th</sup> – no conflict – ACCEPT request and book room

I should get a message from Exchange that says my meeting request was accepted EXCEPT for Nov 8<sup>th</sup> as it was already booked.  That lets me know I need to send a separate single meeting request for Nov 8<sup>th</sup> and pick a different room.<u1:p> </u1:p>

Here’s what actually happened:<u1:p> </u1:p>

Exchange told me that my meeting request was accepted but that there was a conflict for Nov 8<sup>th</sup>.  However, it still booked the room for all three dates, including nov 8<sup>th</sup>.  If I look at Nov 8<sup>th</sup>, it shows the room as double-booked!?!

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 4:41 PM

Answers

• Hello 

Answer to this is you need to setup the below parameters to make it works. 

ConflictPercentageAllowed :
    MaximumConflictInstances : 

Examples

So, for example, say a room mailbox is configured with the following settings:

AutomateProcessing : AutoAccept
    AllowConflicts : False
    AllowRecurringMeetings : True
    ConflictPercentageAllowed : 40
    MaximumConflictInstances : 6

1. A recurring meeting request which repeats 10 times (10 instances) is sent to the mailbox. Now let's suppose 5 out of 10 (or half) of the instances for that recurring meeting occur at the same time other meetings are scheduled in the calendar. In this case, the 50% conflict ratio exceeds theConflictPercentageAllowed setting of 40.
      The result: The entire meeting request is rejected and the room sends a message back to the meeting organizer with the subject Declined All. The five conflicting instances are declined, as are the other five instances that didn't conflict with another meeting.

2. Another meeting request is sent where there are 100 instances of a recurring meeting and 10 of them conflict with existing bookings. In this case theConflictPercentageAllowed is not exceeded by the 10% conflict rate. However, we exceed the MaximumConflictInstances setting of 6.
      The result: Once again, the entire meeting request is rejected and all 100 instances are declined.

3. For our last example, a recurring meeting request comes to this room where there are 10 instances and only 2 of them conflict with existing bookings. 
      The result: Since we don't exceed either MaximumConflictInstances or ConflictPercentageAllowed, the room mailbox accepts the recurring meeting request series but declines to book the two instances that conflict. The meeting instances that don't conflict are accepted and booked and the room sends three emails back to the organizer, one with Accepted in the subject stating the recurring meeting request was accepted, and two with Declined in the subject for the two conflicting instances.

Below is the URL to explain this very well.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2011/02/07/3411956.aspx

PREM RANA MCSE Exchange 2013, MCSA 2012 Server MCTS Exchange 2007,2010, MCITP Exchange 2007,2010 MCSE 2003 Server, MCSA Exchange 2003 ITIL V3 Foundation https://ranaprem.wordpress.com/ This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties,and confers no rights.

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 6:48 PM

All replies

• Hello  Jrauman

Please run below command and check

Get-CalendarProcessing CalendarMailbox | fl

the value for below should be like this

AllowConflicts                      : False

ConflictPercentageAllowed           : 0
    MaximumConflictInstances            : 0

PREM RANA MCSE Exchange 2013, MCSA 2012 Server MCTS Exchange 2007,2010, MCITP Exchange 2007,2010 MCSE 2003 Server, MCSA Exchange 2003 ITIL V3 Foundation https://ranaprem.wordpress.com/ This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties,and confers no rights.

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 4:46 PM
  • That is how my room resources are set up by default.  So when I try to schedule a recurring meeting (with 100 recurrences) with a room resource, if it has one conflict out of 100, it will decline all 100 meetings.  I want it to approve the 99 dates that don't conflict, and only decline the one date that did conflict.
    Tuesday, October 27, 2015 4:54 PM
  • Hello 

Answer to this is you need to setup the below parameters to make it works. 

ConflictPercentageAllowed :
    MaximumConflictInstances : 

Examples

So, for example, say a room mailbox is configured with the following settings:

AutomateProcessing : AutoAccept
    AllowConflicts : False
    AllowRecurringMeetings : True
    ConflictPercentageAllowed : 40
    MaximumConflictInstances : 6

1. A recurring meeting request which repeats 10 times (10 instances) is sent to the mailbox. Now let's suppose 5 out of 10 (or half) of the instances for that recurring meeting occur at the same time other meetings are scheduled in the calendar. In this case, the 50% conflict ratio exceeds theConflictPercentageAllowed setting of 40.
      The result: The entire meeting request is rejected and the room sends a message back to the meeting organizer with the subject Declined All. The five conflicting instances are declined, as are the other five instances that didn't conflict with another meeting.

2. Another meeting request is sent where there are 100 instances of a recurring meeting and 10 of them conflict with existing bookings. In this case theConflictPercentageAllowed is not exceeded by the 10% conflict rate. However, we exceed the MaximumConflictInstances setting of 6.
      The result: Once again, the entire meeting request is rejected and all 100 instances are declined.

3. For our last example, a recurring meeting request comes to this room where there are 10 instances and only 2 of them conflict with existing bookings. 
      The result: Since we don't exceed either MaximumConflictInstances or ConflictPercentageAllowed, the room mailbox accepts the recurring meeting request series but declines to book the two instances that conflict. The meeting instances that don't conflict are accepted and booked and the room sends three emails back to the organizer, one with Accepted in the subject stating the recurring meeting request was accepted, and two with Declined in the subject for the two conflicting instances.

Below is the URL to explain this very well.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2011/02/07/3411956.aspx

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 6:48 PM
  • That worked. I do have a follow up question. Is there a way to limit the number of emails you get back from Exchange when there are conflicts? For example, I invite a room to a meeting and set it to recur 20 times.  12 of those times the meeting conflicts with another meeting.  So Exchange books the meeting for the 8 times it doesn't conflict and tells me about the 12 times that it does conflict.   The problem is that I get back 13 emails.  One email says "accepted" and the other 12 emails say declined (one email per conflict/decline).  All I really need is the single email that says "accepted"  because it tells me about the 12 conflicts.

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 6:53 PM
  • This is by design, it cannot be single email for all declines. You can use the conversation sorting email option to sort the emails to have all such emails in a single sender or subject.

Wednesday, October 28, 2015 4:59 AM
  • Hi,

Happy to hear that you solve the issue.

About calendar processing options for resource mailboxes, you can have a look at the below link to get more detailed Info:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd335046.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Regards,

David

Wednesday, October 28, 2015 6:26 AM