none
Deleted files disappearing Outlook 2010

Question

• I have read other questions/replies on here but still canot fathom what is going on with my deleted files.

My deleted emails are not appearing in the "deleted" file - they seem to have disappeared.  What settings do I need to change in order that this does not happen (I need to re-read a deleted email!).  I have started to use Outlook 2010 in the last few weeks after years in the dark ages of 2003 version and some of it is a mystery!

Many thanks

Caroline

Saturday, June 30, 2012 1:48 PM

Answers

All replies

• What account are you have? I gues that Imap. Try to look at advancet meny to use filter view. At imap you can hide email assign as deleted. You can try How clean function works on your permision.  

Oskar Shon, Office System MVP

Press if Helpful; Answer when a problem solved

Saturday, June 30, 2012 5:29 PM
  • Thanks for your reply, but I have no idea what imap is or where to find filter view.

Saturday, June 30, 2012 6:34 PM
  • Ok - have found out it is imap. still can't find advanced menu and filter view.
    Saturday, June 30, 2012 8:11 PM
  • In your IMAP account settings, use the More Settings... button to get to an option screen where you can designate a Deleted Items folder for your IMAP account.
    See; http://www.msoutlook.info/question/546

Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
    Outlook guides and more: HowTo-Outlook.com
    Outlook Quick Tips: MSOutlook.info

• Marked as answer by cazmal Saturday, June 30, 2012 10:25 PM
    Saturday, June 30, 2012 9:05 PM
  • Fantastic - job done! Thanks for the link, it was very helpful.
    Saturday, June 30, 2012 10:25 PM
  • I had a similar problem; when I deleted items from my inbox using outlook 2016, the items just disappeared, and did not then show up in my deleted items folder.   I wasn't being warned about them being permanently deleted, even though I told it to warn me of that; they just went poof, and I could not find them.  However, if I deleted an item using my smart phone, they did show up in that folder.  I was stumped.  I searched and searched for an answer online, with no joy.  So I ran some experiments, sending myself email, then deleting it locally, then using my smart phone to sync that folder, and discovered that those messages showed up in my phone, but not in outlook itself... ( ! )

It turned out for me that locally deleted items were, in fact, going into the folder, but the view of that folder was configured to just show unread messages (possibly by default, because I didn't choose that!), so it appeared that they just were being deleted, rather than being moved to the right folder.  I didn't figure this out right away, because when I looked at any message in the deleted items folder, they changed to "read," (and didn't disappear), so it didn't occur to me right away that everything listed in the folder when I initially visited it was marked as "unread."

To see if this is what is happening to you, follow these instructions: 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2530570

Hopefully this will help spread the word about this maddening hidden setting.

Wednesday, January 04, 2017 7:21 PM