none
Topic discussion / sticky quotes RRS feed

• Question

• Sometimes, the subject line just isn't enough and the key piece of information in a thread sinks further and further down the quote chain - a lot of scrolling is required to remember "what issue are we discussing here?"

Is there some way that parts of an email can be promoted as the discussion points for a thread so that they are "pinned" to the top of subsequent replies.

For example; say someone sends an email

--- snip ---
    Subject: Outstanding issues

1. Hard drives spin too fast to support coffee cups.
    IT needs to investigate solution; quickfix is to only use your blu-ray drives as cup holders fo rnow.

2. USB drives even less tolerant of staples than old floppy disks.
    R&D investigating, no ETA yet on USB drives that deflect staple attempts.

3. <etc>
    --- snip ---

A series of responses follows, but it can be hard to track which are which. But lets say that someone from R&D responds immediately and starts a sort of sub-thread.

If they could "pin" the issues they are replying to so that each subsequent response has the sub-topic clearly stuck to the top of each response - it would make tracking the discussions a heck of a lot easier.

Especially for teams working with issue trackers, etc, this would make team co-operation a lot easier?

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 6:37 PM

All replies

• Hi,

If I understand correctly, you want to "pin" the topic that the users are replying to on top of the message to avoid scrolling the long message, right?

If that's true, I'd say that it is more depand on the users behavior other than the application function.

I mean, if the users want make the others understand themselves easily, they could quote the topic that they are relpying to manually, I don't think it's possible to pick the topic fully automated since there could be multiple topics in the conversations. It would be even harder for a computer to make the right choice.

BTW, Outlook 2010 has introduced the Conversation view which will help on organize the email conversations.

Might want to have a look:

Tame your Inbox: Organize messages by conversation
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/reading-the-conversation-map-RZ101822222.aspx?&section=4

View email messages by conversation
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/view-email-messages-by-conversation-HA010362041.aspx

Sincerely,

Max Meng
    Forum Support

Come back and mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 8:15 AM
  • Hi, Max;

Already using conversation view, the trouble is that the focus of shortlived sub discussions is always /below/ unless people perform old school quoting, but that is problematic because of fud accumulation.

Lets say I wanted to address your btw without leaving the conversation. I guess perhaps for a future outlook version I'd like to see a way to mark a quote as focal, so outlook can require just that in replies until folks unpin it.

So if I focused your btw, itd be at the top of this reply as a quote, and when you opened a reply to this your reply would open with the same quote pinned initially. It would have to be done with markup but think about the possibilities of that :)

-Oliver

Thursday, October 18, 2012 5:03 AM