none
Outlook 2010 Duplicate Attachments w/IMAPI Servers RRS feed

• Question

• Using: Outlook 2010 (Issue ONLY occured since upgrading from 2007)

Issue: When receiving emails from IMAPI configured servers (like Gmail) all attachments show 2x. Only 1 is valid but still they show twice.

Does anyone know what the resolution is to this issue?

It does not appear to be happening with POP received attachments.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Sunday, December 5, 2010 6:38 AM

All replies

• what content filtering are you using? try switching it off just to test and see what happens.
    MCSE | MCITP - Server 2008 | MCITP - Exchange 2007 | MCTS - Exchange 2010
    Sunday, December 5, 2010 7:08 AM
  • Hi,

Do you use antivirus program to scan incoming email? If so, try to disable it to have a try.

Monday, December 6, 2010 5:41 AM
  • I have had this issue for a while with Outlook 2010connected to an IMAP account ... I have switched off email virus scanning and content filtering and still get the same problem.

If I check the email using web-mail then it only has one attachment on the IMAP server but when it arrives in outlook in has mutliple copies. Sometimes it contains one duplicate other times it is more than one (may be related to the number of people copied on the email?).

Additionally , lets say the attachment is 1Mb then Outlook reports the size as 1MB but the email appears to contain 2 or 3 attachments each 1Mb in size.

Several colleagues I have spoken with also share this issue.

Thursday, December 16, 2010 6:55 AM
  • WebSight, did you find a solution to your question? I currently have the same issue with a gmail account.
    Saturday, February 5, 2011 11:07 AM
  • I did not find a specific solution although the problem now seems to have gone away in the last 2-3weeks. I'm not sure why this is. I have implemented a couple of Microsoft updates and also updated my Norton Antivirus to the latest 2011 version.
    Saturday, February 5, 2011 12:54 PM
  • I am also suffering this situation after I upgraded from 2007. Sometimes, it got even worse, the email subject and email body are mismatched, after I reboot outlook itself, it got matched again.

What's matter with my outlook 2010, should I remove it and reinstall?

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 12:51 AM
  • Also having the same problem.  Using MSE for virus protection. Is there a setting I need to change there?
    Thursday, April 21, 2011 5:13 AM
  • I am also having this problem. It always shows the attachments twice. I have Norton 360 installed on my computer but I have the email scanner disabled. Also when I forward a message like this then it forwards the attachments twice also and then it shows two attachments even in webmail.
    Monday, May 2, 2011 3:11 PM
  • Same problem here: Win7, Outlook 2010, Gmail via IMAP, MS Security Essentials. Anybody found a solution yet?
    Tuesday, June 28, 2011 2:53 PM
  • i think this is interesting: http://www.sevenforums.com/microsoft-office/105036-outlook-2010-gmail-attachments.html
    Tuesday, June 28, 2011 3:56 PM
  • I also posted this at Google's forum too: http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/gmail/thread?tid=5d4997ed71bfb411&hl=en . Maybe describing your problem there as well brings us closer to a solution.
    Tuesday, June 28, 2011 4:06 PM
  • Outlook is now duplicating attachments with all IMAP servers, not just Gmail. If it wasn't a de facto standard I would stop using this horrible program.  It started doing it last night for unexplained reasons.

Thursday, April 5, 2012 10:15 AM
  • Still no solution???? I have the same problem.

Wim

Thursday, May 17, 2012 10:48 AM
  • I also have a user with the same issue. She is using Windows 7 Pro and Office 2010 and continues to have emails with duplicate attachments when using an IMAP account. Has this issue really not been resolved yet? How could Microsoft let this go so long without fixing it with so many users affected??

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 6:14 PM
  • Same problem here. Outlook 2010 with WinXP-SP3, IMAP account, no Email filtering.

This is really annoying - especially since so many people seem to suffer from it but you don't find a solution. :-(

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 6:15 AM
  • +1 for user with same issue.  Outlook 2010 with (2) IMAP accounts, Windows 7 Pro, AVG Free anti-virus.  No content filtering.

Really annoying glitch.

Thursday, January 3, 2013 4:21 PM
  • +1 here too. Outlook 2010 with 6 IMAP accounts, Outlook Hotmail connector for Outlook.com. The problem seems to occur mostly (perhaps only) in subfolders of my Inbox. Attachments of emails in the Inbox seem to be unaffected. Moving an email to a subfolder did not immediately duplicate attachments.

Monday, January 7, 2013 3:10 PM
  • This is an ongoing problem, but not consistent.  Occurs throughout the year off and on.

Running Standalone (non Exchange) MS Office Home and Business 2010 64 bit - all updates current

Dell XPS 256, Windows 7 Home Premium Service PAck 1 build 7601

Outlook configured with 4 IMAP email boxes....three from Provider Network Solutions and one is gmail.  Duplicates do not occur with gmail....but I haven't specifically tested that.

This is actually one of least annoying things about IMAP and Outlook by the way.  Yes, I read about 2013 fixes but it doesn't address the list I have.

Monday, February 11, 2013 6:18 PM
  • Can Microsoft be considered seriously as a company that looks after it's clients?

This issue remains unresolved and the answer for me is not to upgrade to 2013 because MS keep on doing this, expecting customers to upgrade in order to fix problems. There will be problems in 2013 that customers will have to upgrade to 2015 or whatever version....and the cycle continues.

This issue for me is occurring with the Outlook connector to my Outlook.com account, not IMAP.

Thursday, September 11, 2014 11:17 AM