none
Exchange 2016 - Retention Policy RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone, i have done some research online but are still confused, i'm on exchange 2016 with standard CAL license.

i. In place archive feature will not be totally available for me right?

ii. how about retention policies? what does this apply? does it force outlook to archive the email into PST files?

Thanks.

Regards,

Clare

Thursday, June 20, 2019 8:44 AM

All replies

• The online archive archive requires Enterprise CALs, yes.

Retention policies have nothing to do with psts.

Standard CALs allow you to leverage the default MRM policy

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office365/securitycompliance/set-up-an-archive-and-deletion-policy-for-mailboxes

Thursday, June 20, 2019 9:33 PM
  • Hi Clare,

>>i. In place archive feature will not be totally available for me right?

Correct. The use of the In-Place Archive function in Exchange 2010/2013/2016/2019 requires an Enterprise Client Access License (CAL). Moreover, it also requires specific Outlook licenses. See the following articles for more details:

Exchange Server 2019 licensing

Outlook license requirements for Exchange features

>>ii. how about retention policies? what does this apply? does it force outlook to archive the email into PST files?

As Andy says, Standard CAL allows you to leverage the default MRM policy, while custom retention policies require an Enterprise CAL.

A retention policy is a group of retention tags that can be applied to a mailbox. Retention tags are used to apply retention settings to messages and folders. These retention settings specify how long a message remains in a mailbox and the action to take when the message reaches the specified retention age. When a message reaches its retention age, it's moved to the user's In-Place Archive or deleted.

You can see the following article to have a good understanding of retention tags/policies:

Retention tags and retention policies in Exchange Server

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, June 21, 2019 7:34 AM
  • Dear Clare,

Just wanted to say hi and check if there is anything that we can do for you on this problem. If so, please do not hesitate to let us know and we will be happy to help.

Best regards,
    Steve Fan 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, June 24, 2019 10:16 AM