none
Visio 2007 Database Menu Missing

Question

• I'm running Visio 2007 Pro SP1 on 32 bit Windows 7 Enterprise. I can create a Database diagram with: File | New | Software and Database | Database Model Diagram (US units).

However, I do not have the "Database" menu nor can I access the "Database Properties" window. So while I can drag and drop shapes, I cannot define things like column types, constraints, etc...

I made sure the "Enable Automation Events" is checked.  I've also made sure 'Disable all application add-ins (may impair functionality)' is NOT checked. I run Visio as administrator. I've tried to run in compatibility mode for the various flavors of XP, Vista, 2008 Server and even 2000. I've also tried running Visio in Safe Mode (start while holding CTRL).

I've found in various forums several discussions about this issue with no real answer.

Has anyone seen this issue? and know a fix?

Thanks,

Dave.

Friday, October 29, 2010 7:53 PM

Answers

• In 2007, there should be Database menu between the Data and Shapes menu. The usual reason for it being missing is if you are running Standard rather than Professional.

The program, Visio.exe, should be in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office 12 and there also should be a DLL called VISPRX32.DLL. This is one of the DLLs that contains the extra code for Visio Professional.

John... the original Visio MVP (since 1993) Visio.MVPs.org
    • Marked as answer by Dave Rager Monday, November 01, 2010 5:02 PM
    Saturday, October 30, 2010 9:41 PM

All replies

• In 2007, there should be Database menu between the Data and Shapes menu. The usual reason for it being missing is if you are running Standard rather than Professional.

The program, Visio.exe, should be in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office 12 and there also should be a DLL called VISPRX32.DLL. This is one of the DLLs that contains the extra code for Visio Professional.

John... the original Visio MVP (since 1993) Visio.MVPs.org
    • Marked as answer by Dave Rager Monday, November 01, 2010 5:02 PM
    Saturday, October 30, 2010 9:41 PM
  • UPDATE 2: Ok sorry to bug everyone. It seems when our IT dept. "upgraded" my machine from XP to Windows 7, they did not reinstall Visio professional but standard. I was under the impression however that the Database stuff was not available in the standard edition. It's interesting that the only visual indication that it was the Standard edition is in the listing in the Programs and Features control panel applet...

Is that VISPRX32.dll really part of Visio Pro since it did exist with my standard installation? Or could it have been left over from my previous professional installation? (I don't know how IT does their upgrades but I always assumed it was a clean wipe of the machine...)

Anyway, I uninstalled IT's version and installed Professional from my MSDN license and all is working now.

Thanks again,

Dave.

---------------

Thank you for your response.

Yes I am running professional. Visio.exe is in the location you specified and the visprx32.dll is there as well.

I am able to create database diagrams and I also have the ability to connect to a database via Tools | Add-Ons | Visio Extras menu (though I haven't done that successfully yet either).

The problem I am having is, while I CAN create the diagram and add tables and other shapes to them, I CANNOT edit column data or specify PK or FK, cardinality or other such details as I do not have the Database menu nor can I access the Database Properties window.

At one point I could right click on a shape and see the Database Properties... menu item in the context menu, however, selecting that item did nothing. With all the fiddling around I've done trying to get this working I no longer see that in the context menu anymore.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Dave.

UPDATE: I get the Database Properties... menu item in the context menu only if I open an existing database diagram. However, selecting the Database Properties... menu item still does nothing and I still DO NOT have the Database menu nor can I get to the Database Properties window.

Monday, November 01, 2010 2:13 PM
  • I have exactly same issue you had. However, I believe I installed 2007 visio profession version. Also checked the VISPRX32.DLL file which is existing. However, still not able to get "database" menu.
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 5:38 AM
  • Was anyone able to figure this out? i'm having the same problem, and can't find the solution on the web. I have Visio Professional, the DLL specified above exists.

Edit: Found a fix. Within the Tools > Options form click on advanced tab and ensure "Enable Automation Events" is checked. This was a fix i came accross and it still wasn't working for me. So i simply unchecked it, saved and closed visio. Reopened visio, went back and rechecked "Enable Automation Events", then saved, and closed again and it appeared. Silly little bug.

• Edited by eSolo123 Friday, February 03, 2012 3:52 AM
    Wednesday, February 01, 2012 10:52 AM
  • It didn't work.  I have Visio 2007 32bit professional and I can't find the VISPRX32.DLL file even with the search option.  I don't have hidden files checked.  The best answer was uninstall and reinstall.  I will check back to this board in hopes an answer will be posted to solve the problem.

New Update:
    Possible source of problem:  New Updates for Office 2010

I uninstalled and then reinstall Visio 2010.  It worked great with database properties and no problems but, when I shutdown the computer 12 Office 2010 updates were installed and the problem returned.

I haven't narrow down which update out of the 12 is the source of the problem yet.  I will try again to reinstall Visio and add each update one at a time.

Sunday, April 15, 2012 5:52 PM