none
EXCHANGE 2013 / ECP error RRS feed

• Question

• Server Error in '/ecp' Application.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.            

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:
    An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.                  

Stack Trace:
    [NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
       Microsoft.Exchange.Management.Security.AdfsFederationAuthModule.InitStaticVariables() +488
       Microsoft.Exchange.Management.Security.AdfsFederationAuthModule..ctor() +48

[TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.]
       System.RuntimeTypeHandle.CreateInstance(RuntimeType type, Boolean publicOnly, Boolean noCheck, Boolean& canBeCached, RuntimeMethodHandleInternal& ctor, Boolean& bNeedSecurityCheck) +0
       System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceSlow(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean skipCheckThis, Boolean fillCache, StackCrawlMark& stackMark) +159
       System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceDefaultCtor(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean skipCheckThis, Boolean fillCache, StackCrawlMark& stackMark) +256
       System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, Boolean nonPublic) +127
       System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceImpl(BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes, StackCrawlMark& stackMark) +14426381
       System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes) +200
       System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture) +28
       System.Web.HttpRuntime.CreateNonPublicInstance(Type type, Object[] args) +83
       System.Web.HttpApplication.BuildIntegratedModuleCollection(List`1 moduleList) +335
       System.Web.HttpApplication.GetModuleCollection(IntPtr appContext) +1262
       System.Web.HttpApplication.RegisterEventSubscriptionsWithIIS(IntPtr appContext, HttpContext context, MethodInfo[] handlers) +133
       System.Web.HttpApplication.InitSpecial(HttpApplicationState state, MethodInfo[] handlers, IntPtr appContext, HttpContext context) +304
       System.Web.HttpApplicationFactory.GetSpecialApplicationInstance(IntPtr appContext, HttpContext context) +404
       System.Web.Hosting.PipelineRuntime.InitializeApplication(IntPtr appContext) +475

[HttpException (0x80004005): Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.]
       System.Web.HttpRuntime.FirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +12880068
       System.Web.HttpRuntime.EnsureFirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +159
       System.Web.HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestNotificationPrivate(IIS7WorkerRequest wr, HttpContext context) +12721257

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.18033

Mahmoud Hanefy MCITP: Windows Server 2003,2008 Enterprise Administrator | MCSE/MCSA

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 11:35 AM

All replies

• Hello,

I suggest you check the setup log to make sure you have installed exchange 2013 successfully.

I suggest you check iis log and application log to verify whether there is any error.

Besides, please use the get-ecpvirtualdirectory | fl cmdlet to retrieve all configuration for ecp.

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Cara Chen
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 2:49 AM
  • its give me nothing

Mahmoud Hanefy MCITP: Windows Server 2003,2008 Enterprise Administrator | MCSE/MCSA

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 11:22 AM
  • Hello,

Have you run get-ecpvirtualdirectory | fl cmdlet to check your ecp virtual directory configuration?

Besides, I suggest you use server health and performance to check the health of system resources.

Cara Chen

Thursday, May 23, 2013 5:42 AM
  • Hello,

Is there any update?

Cara Chen

Monday, May 27, 2013 8:48 AM
  • when i run I get this

RunspaceId                      : b78729f1-2b95-45c3-b280-e5d8ebd16848
    AdminEnabled                    : True
    OwaOptionsEnabled               : True
    Name                            : ecp (Default Web Site)
    InternalAuthenticationMethods   : {Ntlm, WindowsIntegrated}
    MetabasePath                    : IIS://MOON.mohamedalsagheer.com/W3SVC/2/ROOT/ecp
    BasicAuthentication             : False
    WindowsAuthentication           : True
    DigestAuthentication            : False
    FormsAuthentication             : False
    LiveIdAuthentication            : False
    AdfsAuthentication              : False
    DefaultDomain                   :
    GzipLevel                       : High
    WebSite                         : Exchange Back End
    DisplayName                     : ecp
    Path                            : D:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\ClientAccess\ecp
    ExtendedProtectionTokenChecking : None
    ExtendedProtectionFlags         : {}
    ExtendedProtectionSPNList       : {}
    AdminDisplayVersion             : Version 15.0 (Build 620.29)
    Server                          : MOON
    InternalUrl                     :
    ExternalUrl                     :
    ExternalAuthenticationMethods   : {Fba}
    AdminDisplayName                :
    ExchangeVersion                 : 0.10 (14.0.100.0)
    DistinguishedName               : CN=ecp (Default Web Site),CN=HTTP,CN=Protocols,CN=MOON,CN=Servers,CN=Exchange
                                      Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT),CN=Administrative
                                      Groups,CN=Alsagheer,CN=Microsoft
                                      Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=mohamedalsagheer,DC=com
    Identity                        : MOON\ecp (Default Web Site)
    Guid                            : 82edb241-9f2c-4d00-ab91-1c03f13bab83
    ObjectCategory                  : mohamedalsagheer.com/Configuration/Schema/ms-Exch-ECP-Virtual-Directory
    ObjectClass                     : {top, msExchVirtualDirectory, msExchECPVirtualDirectory}
    WhenChanged                     : 5/22/2013 2:12:33 PM
    WhenCreated                     : 5/22/2013 1:57:24 PM
    WhenChangedUTC                  : 5/22/2013 12:12:33 PM
    WhenCreatedUTC                  : 5/22/2013 11:57:24 AM
    OrganizationId                  :
    OriginatingServer               : Sun.mohamedalsagheer.com
    IsValid                         : True
    ObjectState                     : Changed

• Edited by fuclan73 Monday, May 27, 2013 9:01 AM
    Monday, May 27, 2013 8:59 AM
  • History of the problem

I change the authentication for the OWA to basic authentication through the ECP so it ask me for change also the ECP then it ask for log off and log on again

When I do it the ECP did not open

So I try to recreate the ECP but I didn’t succeed  so I have to remove and create it again

But again I didn’t succeed  (the power shell parameter was give me error in the NEW –ECP……)

So by mistake I remove the ECP (default website) from the IIS then I begin to have the first error in my thread

So I recover the exchange to the last day before anything happen it recover the ECP in the IIS but it’s not opening   (I think because I should recover also the domain controller)

Then I open the ADSI Edit but I didn’t find the ECP (CN-HTTP)in the configuration

So I thought if I recreate the ECP (CN-HTTP)in the configuration manually it will solve the problem

It didn’t do it but when I open the ECP now no error its only open the OWA

So is there any idea how to solve this problem I need the ECP to open Again   

• Edited by fuclan73 Monday, May 27, 2013 10:16 AM
    Monday, May 27, 2013 9:21 AM
  • Hello,

By default, the windows authentication and anonymous authentication are enabled for epc virtual directory under exchange back end site. And the owa authentication should be same as the ecp authentication.

Do you mean you failed to recreate ecp virtual directory by EMS, and then you use ADSIEDIT to recreate ecp virtual directory and your ecp has no error? If so, I don’t understand your issue completely. Do you mean you can’t access to epc again or else?

Cara Chen

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 2:01 AM