none
Perfmon stops logging after 1-3 days even duration set to 3 weeks at windows 8. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I and my colleagues have a problem with Performance Monitor (Perfmon), and only at Window 8. 

On the Quality Assurance apartment that I work, we use Perfmon to keep track of memory leaks by logging private bites and handle count for the applications we test.

But when we use windows 8 we always have the same problem.
    Perfmon stops logging after 1-3 days. Even if we do no settings at the Stop Conditions or we set Overall duration to 3 weeks.

What do we do wrong? Is it a bug?

Please help, we need to perform stability test at our application on various operative systems.

Thanks!
    //Madlene
    Wednesday, September 11, 2013 5:46 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Please try the steps below for test.

To schedule the Stop condition for a Data Collector Set

1.  In Windows Performance Monitor, expand Data Collector Sets and click User Defined .

2.  In the console pane, right-click the name of the Data Collector Set that you want to schedule and click Properties .

3.  Click the Stop Condition tab.

4.  To stop collecting data after a period of time, select overall duration and choose the quantity and units. Note that your overall duration must be longer than the interval at which data is sampled in order to see any data in the report. Do not select an overall duration if you want to collect data indefinitely.

5.  Use limits to segment data collection into separate logs by selecting When a limit is reached, restart the data collector set . If both limit types are selected, data collection will stop or restart when the first limit is reached.

1.       Select Duration to configure a time period for data collection to write to a single log file.
    2.       Select Maximum Size to restart the Data Collector Set or to stop collecting data when the log file reaches the limit.

Note: If an overall duration is configured, it will override limits.

6.  If you have configured an overall duration, you can select Stop when all data collectors have finished to let all data collectors finish recording the most recent values before the Data Collector Set is stopped.

7.  When finished, click OK .

You can refer to the linke below for more details about Schedule Data Collection in Windows Performance Monitor.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc722312.aspx#BKMK_start

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

Sunday, September 15, 2013 6:39 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please try the steps below for test.

To schedule the Stop condition for a Data Collector Set

1.  In Windows Performance Monitor, expand Data Collector Sets and click User Defined .

2.  In the console pane, right-click the name of the Data Collector Set that you want to schedule and click Properties .

3.  Click the Stop Condition tab.

4.  To stop collecting data after a period of time, select overall duration and choose the quantity and units. Note that your overall duration must be longer than the interval at which data is sampled in order to see any data in the report. Do not select an overall duration if you want to collect data indefinitely.

5.  Use limits to segment data collection into separate logs by selecting When a limit is reached, restart the data collector set . If both limit types are selected, data collection will stop or restart when the first limit is reached.

1.       Select Duration to configure a time period for data collection to write to a single log file.
    2.       Select Maximum Size to restart the Data Collector Set or to stop collecting data when the log file reaches the limit.

Note: If an overall duration is configured, it will override limits.

6.  If you have configured an overall duration, you can select Stop when all data collectors have finished to let all data collectors finish recording the most recent values before the Data Collector Set is stopped.

7.  When finished, click OK .

You can refer to the linke below for more details about Schedule Data Collection in Windows Performance Monitor.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc722312.aspx#BKMK_start

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

Sunday, September 15, 2013 6:39 AM
  • This happened to me too. I have set overall duration for 109 hours and perfom stopped after 3 days. Does somebody know if there is any bug?
    Friday, December 13, 2013 2:37 PM
  • Thank you very much for your reply.
    Sorry that I have not answered, have not received any e-mail that there was an answer waiting for me...

I will test to use Limit with Duration 2 days the next time we run our stability.
    Will get back if it work or not.

BR
    Madlene

Wednesday, March 5, 2014 10:15 AM
  • I posted the answer below for...

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/fc186c1e-5a43-435c-b2c4-f6e7704f6c0e/who-startstop-performance-monitor?forum=winserverManagement#78e8859c-f913-4f37-8c80-a1c030be982a

but I think it probably applies here as well.

I ran into the same problem - exactly 3 days.  And only on Windows 7 and Server 2008.  I kept googling with no luck.  I kept repeating to myself, "3 days? What's so special about 3 days?".  Then I had a brainstorm...

Performance Monitor jobs are scheduled in Task Scheduler.  Unhide hidden tasks and look under Task Scheduler Library, Windows, PLA and find your perfmon task.  Right-click it and choose properties and look on the Settings tab and see if "Stop the task if it runs longer than:" is checked with "3 days" in the dropdown.

K

• Proposed as answer by PolishPaul Tuesday, March 31, 2015 3:35 PM
    Wednesday, June 25, 2014 7:12 PM
  • Brilliant ... you don't know how long I have been wracking my brain about this ... Thanks a million PolishPaul
    Thursday, May 26, 2016 7:19 AM
  • Right on the money...thanks for posting.
    Friday, January 27, 2017 12:52 AM