none
Transport rules only gets applied once to emails on Exchange 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a mail flow in which any email sent - goes through a mail loop between my Exchange 2010 environment and another mail server before being sent off to the final recipient. I have a transport rule that applies a header to the email but I realised the transport rule only executes once despite the fact that the mail goes through my Exchange environment twice i.e. when sending to my external mail server and when the external mail server sends back to exchange before being sent to the final recipient.

Is the default behaviour of Exchange 2010 to apply the transport rule only once to emails? In >= 2013, the transport rule executes every time the email goes through the Exchange environment.

Thank you.

Thursday, October 10, 2019 9:43 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I have a mail flow in which any email sent - goes through a mail loop between my Exchange 2010 environment and another mail server before being sent off to the final recipient. I have a transport rule that applies a header to the email but I realised the transport rule only executes once despite the fact that the mail goes through my Exchange environment twice i.e. when sending to my external mail server and when the external mail server sends back to exchange before being sent to the final recipient.

Is the default behaviour of Exchange 2010 to apply the transport rule only once to emails? In >= 2013, the transport rule executes every time the email goes through the Exchange environment.

Thank you.

Depends what the rule is and how its constructed. If there a mail loop, Exchange may be handling those differently.
    Thursday, October 10, 2019 12:01 PM
  • Looking deeper into this - I realise there is a difference between how transport rules are applied on Exchange 2010 vs. later versions. On Exchange 2010, the transport rule is applied on the OnRoutedMessage event while in later versions, it is applied on the OnEndOfData event. Could this be responsible for the differences in behavior - where the transport rule only gets applied once on 2010 vs. multiple times on >=2013 environments?
    Thursday, October 10, 2019 2:06 PM
  • Hi 0802298,

Agree with Andy, it depends on the rule itself and how it is constructed. If there is mail loop, this is normal behavior, due to rules are global and if the message went through transport rule agent, there is no need to repeat this on another server.

Regards,

Beverly Gao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 11, 2019 9:23 AM
  • Hi,

I am writing here to confirm with you how the thing going now?

If you need further help, please provide more detailed information, so that we can give more appropriate suggestions.

Regards,

Beverly Gao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 9:12 AM
  • Hi 0802298,

Just checking in to see if above information was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Regards,

Beverly Gao

Friday, October 25, 2019 2:04 AM