none
Outlook 2016 Downloading Duplicate E-mails from POP3 Account

Question

• I recently purchased a new computer (HP Pavilion All-In One w/ Windows 10) which included Microsoft Office 2016. I manually set up my POP3 account on my Outlook 2016 and copied/pasted my old .pst file so I would not lose any of my old e-mails or folders.  Everything is set up appropriately and all my old e-mails/folders are now on my new computer/Outlook 2016.  Outlook 2016 is also sending and receiving e-mails from my POP3 account (mail server) as it should be.  The problem I am having is the same e-mail is being delivered to my Outlook multiple times.  For example, I received and e-mail today and it was delivered three times with the same time stamp.  There doesn't seem to be any consistency.  Some times I receive 1 copy of an e-mail, some times I receive 2 copies, and others I will receive 3 copies.  In my settings I do have it set up to leave a copy of the e-mail on the server for 7 days but this is to allow the e-mail to be delivered to all of my devices before it is cleared off the server. 

I had Outlook 2007 set up on my work computer and Outlook 2010 set up on my home computer and both versions of Outlook were pulling from the same POP3 account.  I did not have the duplicate e-mail issue prior to using Outlook 2016. 

I have checked the add-ons and do not have any add-ons that would create this issue.  The only anti-virus protection I have currently is Windows Defender which should not be creating this issue either.  The only rule that is set on my Outlook is the "clear categories" rule.  I don't believe this to be the cause of the issue either.  I am not quite sure if this is an e-mail server issue or if it is an Outlook issue.  This is becoming quite frustrating because I have Outlook set up to delete e-mails from the server when they are deleted from Outlook so when I delete the duplicates it clears them off the server and then they are never delivered to my other devices.  Please help! 

UPDATE 2/26/16

So with the expertise of Karl I think this problem can be temporarily resolved until Microsoft provides a fix in a future update.  The directions below were provided by Karl, I am just re-posting them.  I did slightly modify steps 4 through 6 so they are more easily understood but this is the process that worked for me...

1. From Outlook 2016 menu 
        File --> Office Account --> Update Options --> Disable updates

2. Set a reminder on your calendar to re-enable updates ~April 1

3. Open the <command prompt> as an administrator
        For W8/W10 - right-click Start button --> select Command Prompt (Admin)
        For W7 - type CMD in Start search box --> right click --> Run as administrator

4. Copy and paste the following in command prompt then press enter:                                                                                     

cd C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\ClickToRun

5. After hitting enter, copy and paste the following then hit enter again:                                                                                   

officec2rclient.exe /update user updatetoversion=16.0.6366.2068

6. A window will then pop up (may be in the background along your toolbar) and it should say “Downloading Office Updates”.  Upon a restart I did get an error regarding the Microsoft Office Upload Center but I just clicked repair and Windows saved an old copy of the cache then created a new.  So far I haven't noticed any further issue and Outlook 2016 has seemed to stop downloading duplicate e-mails.

Thanks Karl!

• Edited by FabriziChris Friday, February 26, 2016 5:52 PM Solution provided by Karl Timmermans
    Tuesday, February 23, 2016 10:48 PM

Answers

• Hi, I am having the same issue and it is driving me crazy. I get the same email every few minutes and the outlook just keep on downloading the same emails or any email that is still on my server. I have deleted over several thousand duplicated email since last week after I updated my outlook. Please keep me in the loop if there is a solutions. Thanks.

There is no ETA at the moment - current work around options are

#1 - You can either add the email account as an IMAP account until the issue is resolved (making sure to remove the POP account from the auto send/receive group if you leave it in the profile) or

#2 - revert to the previous version from the problematic OL'2016 version (16.0.6568.2025)

Revert to prior version
             a) From OL'2016 menu 
             b) Set a reminder on your calendar to re-enable updates ~April 1
             c) open the <command prompt> as an administrator
                   for W8/W10 - right-click Start button --> select Command Prompt (Admin)
                   for W7 - type CMD in Start search box --> right click --> Run as adminsitrator
             d) paste/run the following in the command prompt - 2 lines, each followed by <return>:

Reference for  O16 version numbers, 
        https://technet.microsoft.com/library/mt592918.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Karl Timmermans [Outlook MVP] "Outlook Contact Import/Export/Data Mgmt" http://www.contactgenie.com

Thursday, February 25, 2016 2:01 AM

All replies

• I'm having this issue as well.

I've tried everything.  Delete Profile, Create New Profile, New PST File, I still get duplicate emails.   It's random which mail it wants to duplicate form the server as well.   

I need a fix, my clients are getting very upset at me.   

This problem does not occur in Outlook 2013 / 2010, Windows Live Mail 2012 or Thunderbird.     I hope Microsoft is able to resolve this issue ASAP.  

Outlook also wont' start in safe mode.  Not sure if this has anything to do with it.

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 6:03 AM
  • Hi,

This issue has been reported by multiple users and we have submitted a feedback regarding this issue via internal way. Hope there will be a fix soon.

See a similar issue discussed here:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/072012b1-62cf-4ca0-886e-a51706f2cb29/multiple-mail-retreive-after-office-update-to-version-16065682025?forum=Office2016setupdeploy

Regards,

Steve Fan
    TechNet Community Support

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Wednesday, February 24, 2016 7:39 AM
  • Hi, I am having the same issue and it is driving me crazy. I get the same email every few minutes and the outlook just keep on downloading the same emails or any email that is still on my server. I have deleted over several thousand duplicated email since last week after I updated my outlook. Please keep me in the loop if there is a solutions. Thanks.
    Wednesday, February 24, 2016 11:57 PM

There is no ETA at the moment - current work around options are

#1 - You can either add the email account as an IMAP account until the issue is resolved (making sure to remove the POP account from the auto send/receive group if you leave it in the profile) or

#2 - revert to the previous version from the problematic OL'2016 version (16.0.6568.2025)

Revert to prior version
             a) From OL'2016 menu 
             d) paste/run the following in the command prompt - 2 lines, each followed by <return>:

Karl Timmermans [Outlook MVP] "Outlook Contact Import/Export/Data Mgmt" http://www.contactgenie.com

Thursday, February 25, 2016 2:01 AM
  • Also have same issue...emails show up multiple times throughout the day, ones I have already read, moved to other folders, or deleted.  Can't determine any pattern regarding which get duplicated or number of times being duplicated.
    Thursday, February 25, 2016 5:29 AM
  • Also have same issue...emails show up multiple times throughout the day, ones I have already read, moved to other folders, or deleted.  Can't determine any pattern regarding which get duplicated or number of times being duplicated.
    All related to the recent OL'2016 update so follow directions to revert to previous OL'2016 as noted in my previous post

Thursday, February 25, 2016 5:43 AM
  • I am having the same issue and so is my client. I tried to paste "c) C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\ClickToRun>officec2rclient.exe /update user updatetoversion=16.0.6366.2068" into a Windows Explorer address bar and click return. When I do, I get the error "Windows can't find...". There is only one file in the Updates folder and that is "16.0.6568.2025". Where do I go from here?

Regards

Neil

SQL/ASP/MySQL/PHP/Coldfusion Developer

• Edited by ukriggers Thursday, February 25, 2016 11:00 AM
    Thursday, February 25, 2016 10:55 AM
  • There is only one file in the Updates folder and that is "16.0.6568.2025". Where do I go from here?

Not clear on what you're referring to in reference to the "Updates folder" - everyone who has followed these instructions in the Answers forum has reported that it has resolved their problem

Try the following again 

Revert to prior version
             a) From OL'2016 menu 

Just one of the many people who have reported it successfully resolving their problem as an example (and I've posted these instructions in a quite a few different <answer> threads with similar results)

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2016-outlook/outlook-365-2016-version-old-emails-keep/71127208-6c70-4425-b3fa-e327e1e2fc83?msgId=ea11580e-4a78-422b-9423-124b13770a8d

Thursday, February 25, 2016 12:58 PM
  • Hi Karl,

Thank you, your advise looks useful, I tried to run as advised the application, all strated well however after few second I get an error message  "Error Code 30125-27 (404)"

I tried again disabling my antivirus/firewall, same error message

I would appreciate if you have any suggestion

Thank you

Laurent

Thursday, February 25, 2016 4:40 PM
  • Thank you, your advise looks useful, I tried to run as advised the application, all strated well however after few second I get an error message  "Error Code 30125-27 (404)"

That's a 404 error and don't know why you would get that unless it has something to do with your region - not something any other person who has gone thru the cycle has reported in any of the other threads so far.

Thursday, February 25, 2016 4:50 PM
  • I do as you say and when i'm at step C) and paste the line into the command prompt i get the following response:

'\Program' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

Please advise as this is frustrating several of our users. Thanks.

Thursday, February 25, 2016 5:29 PM
  • when i try to past just the officec2rclient.exe....

i get an access is denied. can't run app on this device...?

Thursday, February 25, 2016 5:30 PM
  • Thank you, your advise looks useful, I tried to run as advised the application, all strated well however after few second I get an error message  "Error Code 30125-27 (404)"

That's a 404 error and don't know why you would get that unless it has something to do with your region - not something any other person who has gone thru the cycle has reported in any of the other threads so far.

Thank you Karl, indeed it was related to my region, I used a VPN and all went well

• Proposed as answer by Laurent1972 Thursday, February 25, 2016 7:36 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Laurent1972 Thursday, February 25, 2016 7:36 PM
    Thursday, February 25, 2016 7:36 PM
  • It work like magic! thanks.
    Thursday, February 25, 2016 7:51 PM
  • I do as you say and when i'm at step C) and paste the line into the command prompt i get the following response:

'\Program' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

Please advise as this is frustrating several of our users. Thanks.

I just updated the instructions for the Command Prompt so would suggest trying things again and make sure that item (d) which shows as 2 lines in the post is pasted as ONE line - you may have to paste both lines in a text editor first and remove a linebreak at the end of the first line

Thursday, February 25, 2016 7:54 PM
  • When you get to command prompt: (c:\) you have to type cd c:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\ClickToRun\

Or you have to do cd (change directory) until you get to the "clicktorun" folder

then type: "officec2rclient.exe /update user updatetoversion=16.0.6366.2068"

Must sure when you run command prompt you are an administer

The you should see the computer say downloading update.

Thanks.

Thursday, February 25, 2016 7:57 PM
  • Unfortunately this doesn't have any effect for me - Outlook is still downloading all items.
    Thursday, February 25, 2016 8:37 PM
  • I am not quite sure why Microsoft is not addressing this issue with so many people having the problem. I have run many previous versions of Outlook and have never had this issue. Why does a consumer pay hundreds of dollars for a software package that does not function properly and then have to go to such great lengths to resolve the issue?  There should be an update to correct this issue ASAP.  As an end consumer and not an IT professional, I do not feel comfortable performing these "fixes" and risking causing bigger issues within the operating system and software. 
    Thursday, February 25, 2016 8:46 PM
  • Unfortunately this doesn't have any effect for me - Outlook is still downloading all items.

So - just to confirm, when you go to

File --> Office Account --> About Outlook --> what version is showing there in the first line?

Thursday, February 25, 2016 8:58 PM
  • I am not quite sure why Microsoft is not addressing this issue with so many people having the problem. 
    So are you suggesting that the same info I've provided would provide a better/different result if it came from a MS employee until MS is able to release a permanent fix? Assure you, they are aware of it and working on the problem but the ETA for the fix is not known as yet.

Thursday, February 25, 2016 9:01 PM
  • I am not suggesting that at all.  I am saying that this is an issue that requires effort that may be beyond the average users capabilities and if not done correctly could cause further issues.  I myself don't feel fully comfortable running command prompts and changing things that I am not familiar with.  I will likely try the work around but will make sure I back everything up before doing so.  What I am suggesting is that there should be a downloadable update that corrects this issue and does not require an IT savvy person or command prompts.  It is disappointing that Microsoft puts out a new version of Outlook that requires this kind of effort for it to function properly.  Kind of makes me wish I would have stuck with my older version(s) instead of paying hundreds for this headache.
    Thursday, February 25, 2016 9:56 PM
  • After I reverted to the previous build (6366.2068), Outlook did download duplicate messages - once.  I let them download, clicked "Unread," and deleted the unread messages.  Ever since, Outlook has been behaving normally (no duplicate downloads).

Jan

Jan Berinstein - CompuSavvy Computer Training & Consulting

Author, Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2016Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2010, and Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Office Word 2007 

Thursday, February 25, 2016 10:03 PM
  • What I am suggesting is that there should be a downloadable update that corrects this issue and does not require an IT savvy person or command prompts. 
    If there was a fix available, wouldn't be a need to suggest people reverting back to the previous version until a permanent fix becomes available. As for the Command prompt - all your doing is installing the previous version of Office so your concern is really misplaced in this instance - your going through a lot of trouble for nothing in this instance but then again, you should always have a backup of your system regardless oitherwise you're just waiting for a "catastrophe to happen" that may have absolutely nothing to do with a Microsoft product (i.e. permanent hard drive failure as just one for instance).

Thursday, February 25, 2016 10:13 PM
  • That was my point Karl.  There SHOULD be a downloadable fix instead of a work around.  But if it makes you feel better...  Microsoft products are the greatest and I should not be frustrated at all that I paid for a NEW version of Outlook and now have to revert to an OLD version for it to function properly.  As for the back-up, it really doesn't take an IT professional to know you should back up your system.  I personally back up daily to an external hard drive. 

I do appreciate your feedback and hopefully this work around will work for the time being.  I even gave you a vote and marked your solution as the answer.  I am just not sure why you are so defensive when it comes to my opinion regarding Microsoft and their product issues. 

Thursday, February 25, 2016 10:38 PM
  • ........... and now have to revert to an OLD version for it to function properly.  

...........I am just not sure why you are so defensive when it comes to my opinion regarding Microsoft and their product issues. 

Not remotely a question about being "defensive" about anything. In a "perfect" world, nothing would ever go wrong. In the "real" world, when things go wrong (as it very obviously has in this instance), people need to deal with the tools at hand until a permanent solution can be put in place - and that applies to everything. I simply choose not to waste time debating whether or not "it shouldn't have happened" (no one would argue that) or "a fix should be made available within 5 seconds of a problem being identified. Your argument can be applied to any product ever produced by any vendor who has encountered a problem but am also not going to disagree that the current MS QA processes seems like it could use some review in general as compared to days gone by but that's a whole different discussion. In the forums, only care about how to resolve a current problem - no more - no less leaving the debate to others.

As for "OLD" version - your talking about reverting to a previous "update build" (dated Feb 9th, 2016 instead of the current update dated Feb 16th, 2016 which is seriously different then having to an older version of Outlook (as in having to revert back to '2013 or '2010).

Thursday, February 25, 2016 11:05 PM
  • Karl You are obviously an intelligent individual. But if you recall you started this fruitless debate because I simply stated Microsoft should fix this issue without the consumer performing work arounds. I installed Outlook 2016 after 2/16 so this is the only version of Outlook 2016 I have had on my new PC. So when I have had issues from the start it is quite frustrating. In any case I have thanked you for your advice but you still want to debate irrelevant details. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion so we will leave it at that. In hindsight I wish I would not have purchased 2016 until this issue is resolved. After all, in the REAL world if I purchase something and it does not function as it was intended then I would return the product and get my money back. Unfortunately I cannot do that in this case so I have no choice but to deal with the problem at hand which you indicated. Still entitled to my opinion though. Thanks again.
    Thursday, February 25, 2016 11:37 PM
  • Unfortunately I cannot do that in this case so I have no choice but to deal with the problem at hand which you indicated. 
    Before you decide what you "can't do" - suggest you follow the steps. Has nothing to do with it being the "only version" you've installed. As for everything else - we agree :-)

Thursday, February 25, 2016 11:52 PM
  • Thank you Karl - this worked great - I was about to lose my mind :)

Friday, February 26, 2016 7:27 PM
  • Doesn't work for me!  :(

Martin Richter -- MVP for VC++ [Germany] -- http://blog.m-ri.de

Saturday, February 27, 2016 8:11 AM
  • Doesn't work for me!  :(

That unfortunately provides no information at all.

What exactly doesn't work? (1) reverting back to the previous OL'2016 version or (2) emails still continuously downloading or (3) ?????

If it's item #1 - at least one person stated that he needed to reboot (not something I encountered). Haven't seen any response from anyone where reverting to the previous build didn't resolve the issues.

If it's item #2 - that will occur at least once after reverting back (you have confirmed that v16.0.6366.2068 is what you're using correct?)

Aside from that - official MS KB on the subject can be found at

Email is deleted from server or duplicated in Outlook 2016 when downloaded using POP
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3145116

Also, updates to this problem are going to be posted to the following <Answers> discussion thread where I'd also suggest posting any problems related to the suggested work-arounds that you're encountering

Problems with POP accounts in Outlook 2016: Email is deleted from server or duplicated in Inbox
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2016-outlook/problems-with-pop-accounts-in-outlook-2016-email/79e8177f-b04e-491e-9a82-ae5b6565d3c0?tm=1456516686074&auth=1

Saturday, February 27, 2016 8:36 AM
  • The reboot made it...

I got the message from the installer, that nothing was downloaded. But when I look at the installed Version reboot the old Version.

Saturday, February 27, 2016 10:12 AM
  • If this is a result of an update 2/16/16 I think, why has been almost two weeks before it is becoming such an issue. It may be my imagination but is the first time that MS has had the settings set by default leave messages on server and delete after 14 days? I do not recall seeing it by default in earlier version of Office/Outlook.  Is that it 14 days after the 16th and all is breaking loose.

WOW

Tuesday, March 01, 2016 12:52 PM
  • I think Microsoft is not able to provide a fix till now but there is a workaround to get rid of this issues which is to switch back to older update of outlook 2016. please follow the under given link for more instructions.

http://www.windowstechupdates.com/outlook-2016-duplicate-emails-after-february-update/

Tuesday, March 01, 2016 12:52 PM
  • We had 15 computers (POP3 SETUP) that did this. With the broken update we found that the online Microsoft Account Signed in was causing the" Leave a copy on the server" to not work right. If you want to keep this feature, you have to use imap until the fix comes out by April.

1. File-> Office Account-> Update Options-> Disable Updates

Additionally, create a reminder in your Calendar to re-enable updates in April as a fix for this issue should be deployed by then

2.“Account” on the Right Top> Logout of Account if logged in

3. Type in “cmd” in the run

4. Right Click on cmd.exe  and left Click “Run as Administrator”

5 Copy and Paste the whole line as shown below into CMD Window:
    "C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\ClickToRun\OfficeC2RClient.exe" /update user updatetoversion=16.0.6366.2068

If you get an error when trying to revert to this build, revert to the January 25 build instead:

"C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\ClickToRun\OfficeC2RClient.exe" /update user updatetoversion=16.0.6366.2062
    Press Enter Key and will see a popup like the one in the Screenshot below
    Let it Finish –  “Reboot the Computer” and DO Step 6 Below

6. 3 Options
    A. Deleted Duplicates (Can Take a while)
    B. See ways to Remove Duplicates http://www.msoutlook.info/question/684
    C. Make sure you have a file that does not have duplicates in it before doing this
    Delete the account and recreate an Email Account with a new data file “Save a Copy of Messages on the Server” with no days selected (Uncheck Box where 14 Days is)
    Allow all emails to finish downloading
    Import the data file and make sure to select do “Do Not Import Duplicates”

DONE

Thursday, March 03, 2016 7:37 AM
  • I am also getting the same error code when trying to update office... Error Code 30125-27 (404)

I am not sure how to troubleshoot region issues. I am located in the state of Washington, using a VM machine in our local office. Laurent1972 had success using a VPN, but it's unclear to me what he actually did or how I can get around this issue. Any suggestions?

Thursday, March 03, 2016 8:28 PM
  • I am also getting the same error code when trying to update office... Error Code 30125-27 (404)

I am not sure how to troubleshoot region issues. I am located in the state of Washington, using a VM machine in our local office. Laurent1972 had success using a VPN, but it's unclear to me what he actually did or how I can get around this issue. Any suggestions?

Status update regarding the problem as of a few minutes ago (3/3/16) can be viewed in <Annaliese>'s post in the following thread

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2016-outlook/problems-with-pop-accounts-in-outlook-2016-email/79e8177f-b04e-491e-9a82-ae5b6565d3c0?page=18

Friday, March 04, 2016 2:22 AM
  • I am with FabriziChris on this one. Karl, your attitude is arrogant and has no empathy. Some of my clients would be intimidated by the command line, and the confusion in your posts on the subject, first you posted incorrect information, then some time later corrected this. Later again we see Joe Bloggs or whoever correcting the information you gave demonstrating how to CD to the correct directory for clicktorun.

This is so typical of the IT world, a lack of empathy for everyday users who really cannot comprehend why software they pay for use in the core of their daily life and business does not simply work. Karl needs to develop people skills.

Friday, March 04, 2016 4:33 AM
  • follow this link it gives you a list of possible update numbers with there dates of release.

https://technet.microsoft.com/library/mt592918.aspx

Friday, March 04, 2016 3:21 PM
  • follow this link it gives you a list of possible update numbers with there dates of release.

https://technet.microsoft.com/library/mt592918.aspx

Fix for the POP email problem is now being rolled out - build number: 16.0.6568.2036

From within Outlook go to File --> Office Account --> Office Updates --> Make sure <enable updates> is active --> Update Now

If your build # doesn't show the number above - you do not have the fix for the POP mail problem.

Outlook <may> download all emails again from the <Inbox> again one last time (operative word is "may") causing duplicates which if the case, you can refer to the <more information> section following MS KB article (3145116)
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3145116

Few things to note:

#1 - If everything downloads again and you're using rules to move things to other folders - you will get dupes in those other folders so you may want to turn off the rules the first time you connect to your account after updating

#2- If you currently have a lot of email in your <Inbox> you may want to take a precautionary step of moving everything from your <Inbox> to another folder leaving the <Inbox> empty for when you connect to your account. If it downloads everything - you will have a clean <Inbox> without dupes and if doesn't, just a matter of moving everything back from the other folder back into your <Inbox> after the first connection to the account. There is no one-size-fits all answer to know whether or not everything gets downloaded.

Saturday, March 05, 2016 3:07 AM
  • Thanks to Karl and everyone who has written in about this. Ended up with Outlook erasing emails off the server and then downloading many, many duplicates.  Even tech guys thought it was strange. Until I looked this up online and realized that it was the software.  Implemented Karl's suggestion and it works perfectly. Thanks so much!

Saturday, March 05, 2016 5:46 PM
  • Fix for the POP email problem RECEIVED this morning. It shows version 16.0.6568.2036 (unless you click on "About Outlook" where it shows Microsoft Outlook 2016 MSO (16.0.6528.1017) 32-bit.

This problem should never have been released to begin with, and it should have been fixed much faster. I've lost a little bit of confidence that my email is being sent and received with 100% accuracy. When one receives duplicate messages from a POP3 account, it's pretty annoying, but fairly obvious. Then one wonders if there might be a problem sending mail. If there is (was) a problem, it would not be so apparent. This problem has given me renewed impetus to migrate out of Outlook and onto web based mail (gmail, not live.com or outlook.com or hotmail.com or whatever Microsoft is calling it these days).

Thanks to Karl Timmermans for posting that the fix is available.

Saturday, March 05, 2016 6:30 PM
  • I have the same issue and I think the "fix" stinks and don't want to do it. 

Today is March 14, 2016, Microsoft Office Team - do your damn job and fix the problem.
    Thank you. 

Monday, March 14, 2016 10:42 PM
  • Karl, so I'm having the same problem with Outlook 2016 in Office 365 for Mac.  It's random. Sometimes just one message comes in, then next time three. Unfortunately I've been shouting at my ISP about this and then stumbled on this thread.

Is there a Mac workaround? Or should I sit tight until when?

Thursday, March 17, 2016 5:39 AM
  • Hi Karl,

I installed Office 365 Business/Outlook 2016 on March 23 and I'm having a hard time setting up Outlook for my 2 pre-existing Gmail accounts. One of the 2 is receiving email (good) in duplicate (sometimes).  It's not a POP3 (although it might have been), it's IMAP.

regardless, I followed your instructions from Feb. 26 (before seeing that the version I downloaded might not even have that problem and that I didn't need to do it if I didn't want to use POP3).

The Downloading Office Updates popup is still churning away after more than 1 hour.

Do i need to undo the command prompt and how do I do that? That window is still open too. 

thanks

Friday, March 25, 2016 7:27 PM
  • This is crazy! I have gone thru all the posts and I am still having the exact same issue. I have Outlook version 16.0.8229.2073. I have added my yahoo pop3 mail and created a new pst file. I have unchecked 'Leave a copy of the message on the server' box. But still cannot resolve this issue. As soon as I launch outlook, it starts polling 27000 messages. But I only have around 3000 messages on the server (I see this number when I login via web client). I am going crazy .. someone please help! Today is July 5th 2017 and there are no updates available for MS Outlook 2016.

Masudur Khan

Thursday, July 06, 2017 7:14 AM