none
Cannot Filter on Workflow Status Column RRS feed

• Question

• When I create a SharePoint 2013 workflow the status column type it generates for the list is "Hyperlink or Picture" and as far as I can tell there is no way to filter columns of this type or use them in calculated columns. I need to create a view for the list that only shows items where the status is Pending but I am unable to do that. Does anyone know a way to change the column type or is the workflow status column useless are far as filtering goes?

The only solution I can come up with is to create a column on the list and just have the workflow update it, but that dosent seem like the best solution since the Status column is already there.

Wednesday, August 7, 2013 9:49 PM

All replies

• You need to use the numbers instead of the actual status name.

Here's the list:

Status Value 
    Not Started 0
    Failed on Start 1
    In Progress  2
    Error Occurred  3
    Canceled  4
    Completed  5
    Failed on Start (retrying) 6  6
    Error Occurred (retrying) 7  7
    Canceled  15
    Approved  16
    Rejected  17

So in the filter settings type "2" if you want to filter the elements with workflow "In Progress".

Wednesday, August 7, 2013 10:05 PM
  • That is the way it works on workflows using the 2010 engine where the content type of the column created by the workflow is "Workflow Status".On the 2013 workflow I created the workflow status column is "Hyperlink or Picture" type and that dosent even show up as a option to filter by. (eg http://support.microsoft.com/kb/288535).

Wednesday, August 7, 2013 10:15 PM
  • Well I know the answer, I just don't know "How" to do it in SharePoint 2013 lol. Basically in 2010 you would need to create a dataview and then you can sort / filter your data out on the dataset level, but since Microsoft took our easy hack tool from being useful for things like this to nothing I don't know how to accomplish it now :).

If I was pinched for time since I have SSRS I would make a quick report for displaying items and filter with that, but if you can search how to do dataview web parts with 2013 designer or 2013 SharePoint overall you might be able to use that.

Thursday, August 8, 2013 12:36 AM
  • Thanks Turismon I will look into the dataview. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thursday, August 8, 2013 2:11 PM