none
Word stops working on a OneDrive file RRS feed

• Question

• I store my work files on OneDrive. Usually it's fine. However, a couple of months ago I ran into a problem where Word would suddenly stop working on a word file - usually with an error message while saving the latest version. When I tried to reopen the file it would hang and eventually give an error message. It got progressively worse until it wasn't working with most word files. I spent several days going round and round with various MS customer support groups - office, Win 8.1... Finally I got the usual MS response for intractable problems - rebuild your machine from the metal up.

Now it's starting again!!!

Just as before, I can open the files on my Windows 7 machine running MS Office 10. Today I discovered that on my Surface Pro, I can use explorer to move a file from OneDrive to my hard drive and it works fine there - no changes whatsoever - just a move. So, clearly it's a problem of Word using OneDrive. THIS HAS TO BE FIXED AND FIXED FAST! 

8.1 Surface Pro - all updates applied

Office 2013 version 15.0.4623.1003

• Edited by 42river Tuesday, June 24, 2014 3:53 PM
    Monday, June 23, 2014 5:00 PM

Answers

• Hi,

On your Surface Pro, simply repair the installation of Office from Control Panel -> Programs and Features.

When it hangs again, maybe we can find something useful to determine the cause from the event logs:

Search -> Type "View event logs", Enter.

Expand "Windows Logs" -> Application -> See if there are any errors for Word, the information may help determine the cause.

You can also copy and paste the event log here in the forum, so that I can help.

Regards,

Melon Chen
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, June 25, 2014 9:08 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Which version of OneDrive are you using? Web version, Desktop version or the Windows Store App OneDrive?

In addition, I'm not fully aware of the issue, you mean Word would suddenly hang/crash when working on a file? Any error message?

I would say it's more OneDrive related since the files seem to be ok after moving to local disk, kindly answer my question above so that I can understand the issue better and provide further assistance.

Regards,

Melon Chen

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 3:02 AM
  • Thanks for replying.

OneDrive - All versions

I've done more research. It turns out that it's not just OneDrive related. Files where this problem arises eventually have the same troubles on my hard drive, dropbox, box, etc. when I open them with the Surface Pro, but not when I open them with Web Word, my Win 7 Office 10, Google Docs, or with my iPad, or iPhone. The same file opens and edits fine everywhere except on the Surface Pro Office 2013.

The problem arises when I try to open the file. It saves without an error message. It can be immediately opened by my other methods without a problem so it is getting synced. But when I try to open it with 2013/Win8.1 it just hangs. Doesn't matter if I open it from Word or from explorer. I have changed file names, locations, everything I can think of and it just hangs without an error message. Sometimes I get a notice that the last time I opened it it caused a serious error. Then if I choose open it hangs and if I choose recover it either hangs or opens a page full of gibrish. Usually after I open it via an alternative method and save it from there it will open on the Surface Pro - usually, and not always.

This doesn't happen on all documents. Even documents in the same directory are not affected and work well. It just picks some documents and, of course, they are always the most critical, must have work.

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 3:54 PM
  • Hi,

On your Surface Pro, simply repair the installation of Office from Control Panel -> Programs and Features.

When it hangs again, maybe we can find something useful to determine the cause from the event logs:

Search -> Type "View event logs", Enter.

Expand "Windows Logs" -> Application -> See if there are any errors for Word, the information may help determine the cause.

You can also copy and paste the event log here in the forum, so that I can help.

Regards,

Melon Chen

Wednesday, June 25, 2014 9:08 AM
  • The one thing I have to be able to do is to develop Microsoft word documents. Unfortunately this version of Word is so full of bugs that's impossible. I am abandoning my surface pro because of this problem. Maybe if Microsoft fixes this problem one day I'll use it again. Thanks for trying to help unfortunately Microsoft doesn't seem to be as committed as you are.

River

Monday, June 30, 2014 5:39 PM
  • I think I get the solution. When the issue started, I reviewed the OneDrive configuration and I see marked the first two options, "Use Office to sync Office files" and "use office 2016 to sync Office files that is want to open" or somethings like that. My OneDrive app are in spanish. When I unmark the Office option (I let the Office 2016 option marked) Word works like a charm!
    Even, if you unmark the two options, Word works flawless. Please, try it and let me know if that's works to you.
    Best regards,
    Friday, June 9, 2017 10:16 PM
  • Hi,

you wrote " I reviewed the OneDrive configuration".  Can you please describe where exactly you are doing this?  

P.S.: I suffer from the same problem with MS Word crashing when opening certain files (not all) from my OneDrive. 

Regards,

Thomas

Tuesday, June 20, 2017 11:22 AM