none
Please wait while windows configures microsoft office professional plus 2010

Question

• Outlook 2010 splash screen comes up - shows Loading Profile - then the error message above comes up.

1. Uninstalled Office 2007
    2. Cleaned out remainder of Office using:
      http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928218
    3. Installed Office 2010
      (Never had any beta versions installed of either Office version)
    4. Deleted and rebuilt Outlook profile
    5. Started Outlook in safe mode (/safe)
    6. Disabled all Outlook add-ins
    7. Ran Office Repair
    8. Googled the error - nothing useful
    9. Created shortcut directly to outlook.exe - didn't help.

Not sure how to read results from "troubleshooting logging" offered in Outlook 2010

Still get, "Please wait while windows configures microsoft office professional plus 2010"

Win 7 32 bit / Office 32 bit / MS Security Essentials

Any suggestions - I'lly try anything twice!

Wednesday, June 09, 2010 10:51 PM

Answers

• Hi,

We can test this issue with a new Outlook profile, as this issue may also be related to some settings in the Outlook profile.

Here are the detailed steps on how to create a new profile to test this issue

==============

1.    Exit Outlook.

2.    Go to Start > Control Panel, click or double-click Mail.

Mail appears in different Control Panel locations depending upon the version of the Microsoft Windows operating system, Control Panel view selected, and whether a 32- or 64-bit operating system or version of Outlook is installed.

The easiest way to locate Mail is to open Control Panel in Windows, and then in the Search box at the top of window, type Mail. In Control Panel for Windows XP, type Mail in the Address box.

Note    The Mail icon appears after Outlook starts for the first time.

The title bar of the Mail Setup dialog box contains the name of the current profile. To select a different existing profile, click Show Profiles, select the profile name, and then click Properties.

3.    Click Show Profiles. Choose Prompt for a profile to be used.

4.    Click Add.

5.    Type a name for the profile, and then click OK.

6.    Start Outlook, and choose this new profile.

If this problem does not occur in the new Outlook profile, the old Outlook is corrupted. We can delete that and use a new Outlook profile.

Please take your time to try the suggestions and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If anything is unclear or if there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Monday, June 14, 2010 3:38 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sally Tang Wednesday, June 16, 2010 2:32 AM
    Friday, June 11, 2010 5:49 AM

All replies

• Hi,

We can test this issue with a new Outlook profile, as this issue may also be related to some settings in the Outlook profile.

Here are the detailed steps on how to create a new profile to test this issue

==============

1.    Exit Outlook.

2.    Go to Start > Control Panel, click or double-click Mail.

Mail appears in different Control Panel locations depending upon the version of the Microsoft Windows operating system, Control Panel view selected, and whether a 32- or 64-bit operating system or version of Outlook is installed.

The easiest way to locate Mail is to open Control Panel in Windows, and then in the Search box at the top of window, type Mail. In Control Panel for Windows XP, type Mail in the Address box.

Note    The Mail icon appears after Outlook starts for the first time.

The title bar of the Mail Setup dialog box contains the name of the current profile. To select a different existing profile, click Show Profiles, select the profile name, and then click Properties.

3.    Click Show Profiles. Choose Prompt for a profile to be used.

4.    Click Add.

5.    Type a name for the profile, and then click OK.

6.    Start Outlook, and choose this new profile.

If this problem does not occur in the new Outlook profile, the old Outlook is corrupted. We can delete that and use a new Outlook profile.

Please take your time to try the suggestions and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If anything is unclear or if there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Monday, June 14, 2010 3:38 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sally Tang Wednesday, June 16, 2010 2:32 AM
    Friday, June 11, 2010 5:49 AM
  •  

On June 16th I purchased the actual Microsoft's officially released version of Office 2010 Professional Plus.  After removing Office

2007, and Office 2010 beta (both were 32 bit), I installed the 64 bit version of Office 2010 Professional Plus.   (More info on my configuration:  I run Windows 7 64-bit on an Intel I7 PC, 9 gig ram, 2 TB hard disk, but I don't think any of that really matters much here except for maybe the version of Windows 7 I am running.)

I found a suggestion on one of the MANY threads on this problem that suggested that perhaps the problem was with the icons.  So I moved all of the current icons from the start menu, and then went directly to the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14 folder and then clicked on the actual executable, one by one.  I am able to run OneNote, Outlook, PowerPoint and Publisher without getting the "please wait while window..blah blah" message.  But Word, Excel, Access, all come up with the message to wait until it configures...over and over again. 

Also, The problem is not just with Outlook, and creating a new profile as Sally suggests above, did not fix my problem.

This is a pretty big snafu and you would think that since so many users out there are able to reproduce this problem that Microsoft wouldn't ignore it while issuing a perfuntory "We are unable to reproduce this", but rather get a team of people to reproduce it, and then then find a solution.  

Friday, June 18, 2010 5:04 PM
    • Hi,

Try to completely reinstall the Office 2010 program.

First, please go to Start > Control Panel > Programs and Features (Add/Remove Program Files), Locate the Office program and uninstall it.

Then, you can try to manually uninstall Office 2010 by the steps below: 

1. Download and install the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/9/D/E9D80355-7AB4-45B8-80E8-983A48D5E1BD/msicuu2.exe  

2. After you install the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility, click Start  -> All Programs -> Windows Install Clean Up.

3. Highlight Microsoft Office 2010 entry in the list and then click Remove. Quit the Utility.

Note: If you have got any other old or redundant office entries such as Office 2007 or other Office standalone products, such as Visio in the list, please remove them together.

4. Close all applications.

5. Click the “Start” peal, in the Search box, type "regedit" (without the quotation marks) and press Enter.

Note: If you are using Windows XP, click Start  -> Run, type "regedit" (without the quotation marks) and press Enter.

6. Expand the registry tree on the left pane and locate the following two registry subkeys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Office

7. Right-click on this registry subkey and click Delete to delete those keys.

8. Open Windows Explorer, and then browse to the "C:\Program Files" folder

If it exists, rename the "Microsoft Office" to "Microsoft Office OLD"

If it exists, rename "OfficeUpdate" to "OfficeUpdateOLD"

If it exists, rename "OfficeUpdate14" to "OfficeUpdate14OLD"

9. Click Start, in the Search box, type "%Temp%" (without the quotation marks) and press Enter.

Note: If you are using Windows XP, click Start  -> Run, type "%Temp%" (without the quotation marks) and press Enter.

10. Empty the Temp folder.

Note: If some files can't be deleted, please skip them, which don't influence the result of the troubleshooting.

11. Empty the Recycle Bin.

12. Restart your computer.

13. Try to reinstall Office 2010 again.

Regards,

Sally Tang

Thursday, June 24, 2010 8:54 AM
  • I had the same problem....  after reading through countless forums, someone suggested that the fault lay with Windows Search v4... I hadn't installed it as I didn't like it, now that I have installed it, Office 2010 works like a charm...

Win XP Home (SP3) 32bit

Cheers

Iain

Thursday, July 01, 2010 6:19 PM
  • I have the same issue. I called tech support today because my 2010 Outlook search bar wasn't working. He spent over 2 hours logged into my computer trying to fix the problem. Cleaned files, something in the registry, control panel. I had to leave for an appointment before he finished. When I returned I tried to open Outlook and I got " Please wait while Outlook configures". I get this every time I open it now. I still have my search problem as well. I had to make an appointment for a tech level 2 guy to call tomorrow. Is the worse yet to come? Hope not
    Wednesday, July 07, 2010 9:02 PM
  • Most of the responses on this issue are about Outlook when the problem is about Microsoft Office installation.  After searching online endlessly and trying to decipher solutions that suggested registry issues, uninstalling and reinstalling Office multiple times, running the repair feature (none of which worked), I finally reinstalled Windows.  All of the programs started opening properly except Outlook.  Just for giggles, I went into Control Panel, Programs & Features; Microsoft Office; and selected "change".  In there for Outlook, I changed every red "X" I saw to the highest level of access, i.e. "install on first opening" (not the exact words); "run all from my computer"; or "run from my computer".  No more "Please wait while Windows configures Microsoft Office Professional Plus"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Proposed as answer by mirco182 Wednesday, January 05, 2011 9:02 PM
    Saturday, October 30, 2010 1:43 PM
  • That seems to have resolved my Outlook 2010 search issue. Thanks mdhilliard
    Thursday, December 30, 2010 12:29 AM
  • mdhilliard, it works!!! None of the other solutions worked. Thank you!!!
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 4:52 PM
  • mdhilliard, it works!!  I have to echo my sentiments.  Much searching and this was the eventual easy solution.  Thanks for the post
    PELADMIN
    Thursday, September 08, 2011 10:41 PM