none
Sharepoint Solution Deployment Error - problem when installing application templates

Question

•   Hi there, I am new to MOSS 2007. I am trying to install application templates. The server .wsp files I have found difficulties with. From the command line I am able to add the solution but when I attemp to deploy the solution - I receive this error:

A deployment or retraction is already underway for the solution "applicationtemplatecore.wps", and only one deployment or retraction at a time is supported. 

Back in Sharepoint Central Admin in the operations area this the status of the template is listed as "error", I am unable to remove this template now(have tried to retract and unlock the deployment from the command line). Any suggestions would be appreciated. 
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Tuesday, September 02, 2008 3:56 AM Subject enhanced with a reference to Application templates
    Monday, September 01, 2008 10:23 PM

Answers

• Hi, 

If a SharePoint solution deployment fails, yet the timer job is created and not running, you will be unable to redeploy or retract the solution.

Here are the steps to redeploy the failed solutions:

1.    Delete the solutions listed as "Failed" in Central Administration > Operations > Timer Job Definitions.

2.    The solutions will appear as not deployed instead of "Error" in Central Administration > Operations > Solution Management. You can redeploy them from here properly

As you did not tell us which template you were installing, one thing I should tell you only Server Admin Templates need the Application Template Core solution (ApplicationTemplateCore.wsp).

For more information, please refer to: Application Templates for Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsserver/sharepoint/bb407286.aspx)

Let me know if you need further help.

-lambert

Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, September 03, 2008 9:41 AM

All replies

• I have also deleted your duplicate post that was sent to the SharePoint - Community Advancement forum.

There were two reasons.

A. Duplicate posts are not allowed. They cause duplicate work by people trying to help you who are unaware of answers posted in another forum.

B. The Community Advance forum is only for postings about User Group meetings and the like. (As shown by the present posts there)
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Tuesday, September 02, 2008 4:04 AM spelling
    Tuesday, September 02, 2008 4:01 AM
  • Hi, 

If a SharePoint solution deployment fails, yet the timer job is created and not running, you will be unable to redeploy or retract the solution.

Here are the steps to redeploy the failed solutions:

1.    Delete the solutions listed as "Failed" in Central Administration > Operations > Timer Job Definitions.

2.    The solutions will appear as not deployed instead of "Error" in Central Administration > Operations > Solution Management. You can redeploy them from here properly

As you did not tell us which template you were installing, one thing I should tell you only Server Admin Templates need the Application Template Core solution (ApplicationTemplateCore.wsp).

For more information, please refer to: Application Templates for Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsserver/sharepoint/bb407286.aspx)

Let me know if you need further help.

-lambert

Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, September 03, 2008 9:41 AM
  • I could only enable and disable the timer in question, and it wasn't named after my service but was the only one listed as failed.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepointadmin/thread/a0c25f7a-5c0d-4615-a082-e8157278163b/

"The timer job for this operation has been created, but it will fail because the administrative service for this server is not enabled. If the timer job is scheduled to run at a later time, you can run the jobs all at once using stsadm.exe -o execadmsvcjobs. To avoid this problem in the future, enable the Windows SharePoint Services administrative service, or run your operation through the STSADM.exe command line utility."

Sunildalavay replied:
    try to run the below command from command line

stsadm -o execadmsvcjobs

This worked both times!
    Then I opened up services.msc, found "Windows SharePoint Services Administration", right-click to set properties,
    ... set Startup type to Automatic

Then ok to finish...

then start this service.
    The next time you will not have the timer issue.

Thursday, April 30, 2009 1:20 PM