none
Outlook 2016 Duplication of Contacts Folders RRS feed

• Question

• I upgraded a laptop from Outlook 2013 to 2016. It took multiple attempts using both the import and export to move the contacts over and actually have the entire file move. I ended up having to open the .pst and view it, then dragging it over. During this process it created multiple Contacts Folders that had various bits of information from the .pst file.  Now in the Contacts we have 

1. Contacts (this computer only)

2. Contacts (email of user)

3. System email

4. System email (this computer only)

How do I get all of the correct contacts into the contacts folder and get remove the additional folders?

• Edited by shstrng Wednesday, September 23, 2015 4:15 PM
    Wednesday, September 23, 2015 4:14 PM

Answers

• Hi,

In theory, just opening the .pst file won't create any folder in your mailbox. Instead, it will show separately in the folder list pane in your Outlook.

Whatever, please first make sure you have backed up the items in the folders that you want to delete, and then we can try using the MFCMAPI tool to delete those folders.

Regards,

Steve Fan
    TechNet Community Support

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Monday, October 12, 2015 3:20 AM

All replies

• Hi,

It's not recommended to import the .pst file into your Outlook, especially if it's an Archive pst. This is because it may cause duplicates and it's not easy to remove the duplicates. It's recommended that we open the pst file directly in Outlook and then copy all the items in the PST file to the folders you wanted to put them.

In your case, you may need to manually move the contacts to the correct contact folder and then delete the unwanted folders.

If I've misunderstood something, please feel free to let me know.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 24, 2015 5:47 AM
  • Hi Steve,

First, thank you for your response! You are correct we attempted to import the PST file. It was not an archive file to my knowledge, we grabbed the file from the old laptop and brought it over as what I believe is a normal .pst.

After the unsuccessful attempts to import it in, I found a forum that said to actually open the file. I did and it created an additional contacts folder and ended up with the four folders above.  No matter what I do, I am unable to delete the additional contacts folders.

Does that make sense?

Thursday, September 24, 2015 2:33 PM
  • Hi,

In theory, just opening the .pst file won't create any folder in your mailbox. Instead, it will show separately in the folder list pane in your Outlook.

Whatever, please first make sure you have backed up the items in the folders that you want to delete, and then we can try using the MFCMAPI tool to delete those folders.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Monday, October 12, 2015 3:20 AM