none
Excel 2013 Share File as Email locks up the Outlook client Window

Question

• I have tested this and it appears to be working as designed, but I have a user complaining the following:

"When you are creating an email, how can you go back to your in box or a previous email to reference something.  I have not found a way once in email creation to get back to inbox.  It wont let you out of the specific email."

She is sending an Excel file using the FILE > SHARE > EMAIL function to send a spreadsheet.  When she does this she cannot go back to her inbox to reference other emails, etc.  I have found the same behavior on my computer as well.  We are in a Windows 7 Office 2013 environment.  The same thing doesn't happen when emailing files from Word or PowerPoint though.

Is there anything that can be done about this rather than her having to save the file first and then drag/drop, etc. as a work around?  She doesn't want to have to save the Excel file first anywhere, just create and then email.

Tuesday, November 07, 2017 5:03 PM

Answers

• Hi Lyndsay,

I tested this problem in Office 2013 and 2016.

I can reproduce this problem in Office 2013, when I send an Excel workbook as an attachment, the Outlook will be locked. But this problem don't appear in Word and PowerPoint.

For Office 2016 Excel, Word, PowerPoint all works fine with Outlook.

It seems that this is a known issue in Office 2013, I suggest you give a feedback about this problem to UserVoice. Or you can change to Office 2016.

UserVoice forum is a way Microsoft collect feedback from users about using products.

https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304921-excel-for-windows-desktop-application

Hope it's helpful.

Regards,
    Emi Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Lyndsay1483 Thursday, November 09, 2017 4:05 AM
    Wednesday, November 08, 2017 9:23 AM

All replies

• Hi Lyndsay,

I tested this problem in Office 2013 and 2016.

I can reproduce this problem in Office 2013, when I send an Excel workbook as an attachment, the Outlook will be locked. But this problem don't appear in Word and PowerPoint.

For Office 2016 Excel, Word, PowerPoint all works fine with Outlook.

It seems that this is a known issue in Office 2013, I suggest you give a feedback about this problem to UserVoice. Or you can change to Office 2016.

UserVoice forum is a way Microsoft collect feedback from users about using products.

https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304921-excel-for-windows-desktop-application

Hope it's helpful.

Regards,
    Emi Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Lyndsay1483 Thursday, November 09, 2017 4:05 AM
    Wednesday, November 08, 2017 9:23 AM
  • Yes, thank you for confirming my suspiscions.  Very helpful. 
    Thursday, November 09, 2017 4:05 AM