none
Call-Forwarding Settings are unavailable

Question

• We have an OCS 2007R2 platform with Enterprise Voice (EV). We have an account that is used by whoever is on-duty to answer a particular phone number. Those users will log-in with their own account when off-duty which we'll call user1@company.com user2@company.com, etc., and use the same PC to log-in as the shared account, which we'll call reception@company.com. Each user sets the call forwarding so that their mobile phone is rung if they happen to be away from their desk.

One day, we started having the following error presented when attempting to access the call forwarding settings:

"Call-Forwarding Settings are unavailable.

To get Call-Forwarding Settings, sign in to a newer version of Office Communicator."

Note that this same client, when logged-in as user1@company.com is able to access call fowarding settings without issue, so this does not appear to be a client version issue.

We have also disabled EV for this user and re-enabled it without any effect on the error.

We have also disabled OCS for this user and re-enabled it, also without any effect on the error.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thank you.

Greg Williams

Tuesday, February 08, 2011 10:12 PM

Answers

• Greg, like Luis said you can check the OCS Server console under the Database tab you can lookup the user account, it will show what versions you used to access that pool and if 4.x it's the Lync client. That way you could find out if a user logged on with the Lync client and identity the cause of the problem.

If this behavior is according to design or not i don't know, but using the Lync client with OCS 2007 isn't really supported and require a reg change as well so i guess we cannot really blame Microsoft for the creative users even if i agree it would be nice with a default feature to prevent this. Maybe Microsoft isn't aware of this problem or currently working on a easier fix. Either way the Lync client and OCS 2007 isn't supported so i guess the users cannot blame anyone, but themselves.

You can use the "Client version filter" to prevent the users from using the Lync client in your environment and to prevent other users from doing the same mistake. I created a rule to block version 4.x or newer in my environment that seems to work fine. If you only have a few account with this problem i guess the proposed solution should work fine. It seems like deleting the account and use DBIMPEXP.EXE to export the contacts is the best solution so far.

Glenn

• Marked as answer by Ben-Shun Zhu Wednesday, February 16, 2011 8:59 AM
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 7:10 AM

All replies

• Hi, what's the version of existing MOC client? Would you please update the MOC client try again? or login that user on other computers.
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, February 09, 2011 6:22 AM
  • I seems to have the same problem when i logon using my account. Not sure when this problem started, but noticed the problem yesterday and found this thread when searching for a solution. If i logon with my account the Call forwarding settings are unavailable with the exact same error as explained in this thread, but when i logon using another account on the same computer with the same client everything works fine. I also tried using another computer with the same result where the other account work fine, but using my account the same problem.

For the record we are using OCS 2007 R7 and client version is 3.5.6907.221 so i already have the latest client installed as far as i'm aware of. It's also important to remember that it's working fine when i logon with another account using the same client from my or any other computer. If i logon using my account it's the same problem from my and any other computer. So this seems to be related to my account and not computer/client. As far as i understand this is the same behavior as described by Greg.

Regards

Glenn

Wednesday, February 09, 2011 11:05 AM
  • I am very interested in hearing what the resolution is. I have the same issue you are experiencing. I tried the LYNC client (with reg-hack) on a separate system and the call-forwarding settings were available to me.
    Wednesday, February 09, 2011 4:11 PM
  • Ben-Shun Zhu,

Would you please provide a link to a Microsoft web page that tells me what the latest version of the MOC client is and post it to this forum? I have been unable to find one. Please also pass on to your superiors how frustrating it is that Microsoft still doesn't have a unified approach to distributing software updates across all its product lines.

We have tried logging this user on four different computers, all with the same result. Other accounts work correctly on all four computers. The reception@company.com account malfunctions in the same way on all four computers.

Thanks.

Greg

Wednesday, February 09, 2011 6:06 PM
  • Ben-Shun Zhu,

Would you please provide a link to a Microsoft web page that tells me what the latest version of the MOC client is and post it to this forum? I have been unable to find one. Please also pass on to your superiors how frustrating it is that Microsoft still doesn't have a unified approach to distributing software updates across all its product lines.

We have tried logging this user on four different computers, all with the same result. Other accounts work correctly on all four computers. The reception@company.com account malfunctions in the same way on all four computers.

Thanks.

Greg

Greg, you can download a update to the latest version using this link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=515d6dba-4c6a-48bb-a06a-d99c5742676d

This is just a update so need to have moc installed already. Normally you should get this update from windowsupdate so shouldn't be necessary to download and install manually. I have done some testing since yersterday and if you have an old or the latest version of moc 2007 r2 make no difference. The result is the same either way where one account might have this problem while another account work fine.

Glenn

Wednesday, February 09, 2011 6:24 PM
  • Seems like i found the reason why i have this problem. When Luis mentioned the Lync client and the reg hack that reminds me i did the reg hack a few weeks ago to see how the Lync client would work with OCS 2007 R2. So i created a new test account where the call forwarding works fine when i logon using the moc 2007 r2 client. Then i installed the Lync client, added the reg hack and logged on as the test user. After this point the call forwarding in the moc 2007 r2 client no longer work for this account. If i logon with the test account from any other computer the result is the same.

So it seems like using the Lync client with reg hack to log into a OCS 2007 R2 server will break the call forwarding settings in the moc 2007 client for the user account used when you logon. I have not yet found what modifications that are made and how to fix this problem, but it's for something on the server and not client. Whether that would be AD, front end server or some other server i don't know.

Glenn
    Wednesday, February 09, 2011 8:08 PM
  • If you check in the OCS Server console under the Database tab you can lookup your user account, it will show what versions you used to access that pool. I am going to try disabling then re-enabling my account for OCS to see if this is the "fix".

Let me know if you try this first.

Wednesday, February 09, 2011 9:38 PM
  • Yep! removing my account "Delete Communications Server Users.." in ADUC and re-enabling my account was the fix.
    Wednesday, February 09, 2011 9:46 PM
  • Yep! removing my account "Delete Communications Server Users.." in ADUC and re-enabling my account was the fix.
    I found that to be a solution as well using a test account since i figured how to trigger this problem. The bad part is that all your contacts will be gone. Finding the correct table at the SQL server I'm sure it would be possible to change/delete a value in a field to fix this problem without losing all your contacts, but don't know what table and field that should be.
    Wednesday, February 09, 2011 10:32 PM
  • Microsoft,

This is the version we already had installed on all the affected PC's.

Is there a good way to tell what the latest version of the MOC is, other than searching Microsoft downloads and sifting through the various results? In other words, is there a page that is updated on a regular basis that shows what the latest version is?

In any case, can you recommend a way to resolve this problem without deleting the OCS account and recreating it? Fixing the problem in this manner loses all the configured contacts and other settings.

Thanks.

Greg

Thursday, February 10, 2011 12:10 AM
  • If you have access to the Front End servers you can use DBIMPEXP.EXE to import/export user contacts.

http://blog.insideocs.com/2009/07/06/importing-and-exporting-ocs-user-contacts/

Thursday, February 10, 2011 1:54 AM
  • Hi, Greg, did you login that sip account with Lync client as Glenn said?

In that case you have to remove that sip account then re-enable it again in OCS server, use dbimpexp.exe can help you export and import contacts. more information about dbimpexp.exe please check following article.

http://www.ocspedia.com/Misc/Explore_Dbimpexp.htm

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 2:03 AM
  • Ben-Shun Zhu,

I have not logged-into the account using a Lync client, although I can't be sure none of the other users did.

Are you telling me Microsoft has no means of diagnosing or repairing this situation short of deleting and recreating the account? That doesn't sound like a very practical solution for a large OCS deployment with users all over the country.

Do you have any other suggestions either for definitively identifying the underlying problem, or correcting it without interrupting the end-user's service?

Thanks.

Greg

Thursday, February 10, 2011 4:23 AM
  • Hi, Greg,

If other users did login with Lync client, there must be changes have been made in sip user account on backend database server, in that case I would not recommend you tweak on database server that will get risk on production environment, if only one user has the problem, I think the best solution is recreate sip user account for that user.

If you have a large OCS deployment with tremendous sip users in the production environment, I would recommend you contact Lync PSS they will help you on this issue, Please visit the below link to see the various paid support options that are available to better meet your needs. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;en-us;offerprophone

Thursday, February 10, 2011 5:51 AM
  • Greg, like Luis said you can check the OCS Server console under the Database tab you can lookup the user account, it will show what versions you used to access that pool and if 4.x it's the Lync client. That way you could find out if a user logged on with the Lync client and identity the cause of the problem.

If this behavior is according to design or not i don't know, but using the Lync client with OCS 2007 isn't really supported and require a reg change as well so i guess we cannot really blame Microsoft for the creative users even if i agree it would be nice with a default feature to prevent this. Maybe Microsoft isn't aware of this problem or currently working on a easier fix. Either way the Lync client and OCS 2007 isn't supported so i guess the users cannot blame anyone, but themselves.

You can use the "Client version filter" to prevent the users from using the Lync client in your environment and to prevent other users from doing the same mistake. I created a rule to block version 4.x or newer in my environment that seems to work fine. If you only have a few account with this problem i guess the proposed solution should work fine. It seems like deleting the account and use DBIMPEXP.EXE to export the contacts is the best solution so far.

Glenn

• Marked as answer by Ben-Shun Zhu Wednesday, February 16, 2011 8:59 AM
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 7:10 AM
  • Hi all,

I'm having the same problem with my OCS user. Has anyone tried to move a "broken" user from one server to another server? Unfortuantely I only have one server and cannot figure  it out, but if it will work, i will set up another one to fix the affected users in our company.

Regards

Christian

Friday, October 28, 2011 11:19 AM
  • Hi all

The easy way to solve it is to use dbimpexp.exe to export the user to xml file, then find the minSupportedClientVersion, it will say 4.0.0.0, change it to 2.0.0.0, and import the xml with dbimpexp.exe .

Regards

Lars

Wednesday, November 23, 2011 1:43 PM
  • This is only part of the answer. If you import the contacts back to the user the problem is back.
    Lars Løffval's answer needs to be taken into account.
    Friday, January 04, 2013 2:29 PM