none
Direct Upgrade 13 to 19 worked but... RRS feed

• Question

• I know the documented process is 13 to 16 to 19 and this is what I planned to do and actually built / tested but for one of my sites I actually skipped the 16 UG (harassed not planned) and went 13 to 19 and it worked without any issues and the site has been live for a while. It is only when I am preparing to UG another site I realised I missed the 16 UG out. I have tested this next site 13 to 19 and it too seems to have worked okay. Anyone know if I am likely to run in to any issues in the future? I have read it is for "marketing reasons only" and actually should not be possible (as blocked by Mount-SPContentDatabase). I am running the latest 19CU.

Thanks in advance

Phil

Friday, September 13, 2019 4:41 PM

All replies

• Hi Phil,

Skipping SharePoint 2016 updates will lock the database.

Maybe you haven't had a problem now, but the way to skip SharePoint 2016 to update directly to 2019 is always unsupported.

This will also cause other unknown errors, please follow the steps provided in Microsoft's official documentation to update 2013 through 2019.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/upgrade-and-update/upgrade-from-sharepoint2013-to-sharepointserver-2019

If you still have questions about the steps for the update, or want to learn more about the errors that may result in it in the future, you can create service requests to contact support:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/supportforbusiness/productselection

If you want to be able to launch a new method to upgrade directly from SharePoint 2013 to 2019, you can post a new poll in user voice:

https://sharepoint.uservoice.com/forums/329214-sites-and-collaboration

Best regards

Itch Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Monday, September 16, 2019 2:21 AM
  • To quote (kind of) Jurassic Park: Your were so preoccupied with whether or not you could, you didn’t stop to think if you should.

Now to the serious part, the upgrade upgrades schemas etc. You'll end up with issues down the line maybe with patches etc. It's an unsupported process for an upgrade and MS will refuse to help if you opened a call. Best to just do the planned upgrade path with a stepping stone approach.

If this is helpful please mark it so. Also if this solved your problem mark as answer.

Monday, September 16, 2019 7:37 AM
  • Hi ,

Has the problem been solved?

If you think the replies are helpful to you, please remember to mark them as answers. It will help others who meet the similar question in this forum.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards

Itch Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Wednesday, September 18, 2019 9:49 AM
  • Hi ,

I'm still paying attention to this issue.

If you have any questions, you can update them at any time.

Looking forward to your update on this issue.

Best regards

Itch Sun

Tuesday, September 24, 2019 9:07 AM