none
Cross-Forest Migration Exchange 2010 (Source) and Exchange 2013 (Target) Free/Busy with Shared namespace RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

Many thanks in advance for the assist with my issue!

This project is through a company acquisition, we are in the midst of a 2008 R2 AD inter-forest migration using ADMT and also an Exchange cross-forest Exchange 2010 (Source) to Exchange 2013 (Target).

Source=Capitalhill.com (Exchange 2010 SP1 RU8)

Target=Beaconhill.com (Exchange 2013)

• The client had started the email re-branding process via SMTP alias for the capitallhill.com
      • Reply address is now beaconhill.com
    • Two-way domain trust between cpitalhill.com and beaconhill.com
    • I used FIM to create the cross-forest mail contact, user1@cpitialhill.com is not visible in beaconhill.com in the GalSync OU with the primary SMTP address of user1@beaconhill.com

My issue is with Free/Busy and I assume the issue is to do with SMTP the easy fix would be to set the original SMTP address back to the AD object but this is not viable do to the optics of having any trace of the old company name a very sensitive subject.

I have tried the following configuration with differing results

How can one start to troubleshoot Cross-Forest Free/Busy with Shared Namespace?

Friday, November 16, 2018 8:04 PM

All replies

• Your title says Exchange 2007 source but you say Exchange 2010 in your description.

You can try creating a mail contact in one domain having a PrimarySMTPAddress of something@beaconhill.com and a TargetAddress of something@beaconhill.com.  I'm not sure that will work but I seem to recall something about that working.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Friday, November 16, 2018 8:48 PM
  • Hi,

- configure virtual directorys correct on both CAS Server (source-domain.com and target-domain.com)

- create two way trust

- check certificate validation from source to destination and destination to source

- enable mrs proxy on source

- use migration smtp domain "mig-dom.com"

- client proxy exceptions for "*.mig-dom.com"

2)set on source "autodiscover.mig-dom.com" dns a record to Exchange CAS on target

and autodisocver srv records for this

3)set on target "autodiscover.mig-dom.com" dns a record to Exchange CAS on source

and autodisocver srv record for this

4)Add-AvailabilityAddressSpace -ForestName "mig-dom.com" -AccessMethod PerUserFB -UseServiceAccount $true on both CAS

5)Get-MailboxServer | Add-ADPermission -Accessrights Extendedright -Extendedrights "ms-Exch-EPI-Token-Serialization" -User "<Remote Forest Domain>\Exchange servers" on both CAS

6)copy user with admt from source > target

7)create mail enabled user on target

8)prepare move request

9) set on target exchange mail enabled user "target adress to "user@mig-dom.com" and "send as to user@publicdomain.com"

10) move request

11) set on source exchange mail enabled user "target adress to "user@mig-dom.de" and "send as to user@publicdomain.com"

Client ask for free/busy to user in target

Exchange lookup User with target adress "user@mig-dom.de"

Exchange use availbility address space for "mig-domain.com"

Exchange use autodisover.mig-dom.com from source DNS

Exchange gets autodiscover.xml from target Exchange

Exchange read target-domain.com/EWS

Exchange connect to target Exchange to /EWS

Exchange read Free/Busy and send to user

If you want to use Calendar delegation and permissions in coexistenc phase you have to use linked mailboxes for move request

• Edited by alpina27 Saturday, November 17, 2018 12:15 AM
    Saturday, November 17, 2018 12:13 AM