none
Excel 365 freeze when copy filtered selection RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I work in a company where Excel it's the main (sometime the only) software that we use.

We work with very large files with many rows and we never had problems with Office 2010, we made many tests doing the same operation with Office 2010 versus Office 2016 with many different computers and we discovered that Office 2010 was able to copy and paste a large filtered selection without any problems. Instead, when we try to do the same operation with Office 2016, it takes minutes while it seems to be freezed.

We are a company with 35 employees who think that back on Office 2010 is the only solution instead pay monthly this Office 365 who brought us only troubles.

Ha you any suggestion?

Thanks.

Friday, March 2, 2018 3:15 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Do this problem appear in all Excel files when try to copy and paste?

What the Windows system do you use in company?

Where do you open files? In local computer or network?

How large do files?

Do you use 32-bit or 64-bit Office application?

In my opinion, I suggest you try to check if this problem also appear in safe mode. Please running the following command: Press Win + R, type " excel /safe" in the blank box, press Enter. If it works fine in safe mode, please check the add-ins in your excel and disable them.

Install the latest updates for Office 2016.

Please provide more information about your problem and I'm glad to help you.

Regards,

Emi

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, March 5, 2018 9:34 AM
  • Thanks for your answer.

What the Windows system do you use in company? Windows 10.

Where do you open files? In local computer or network? Local.

How large do files? Doesn't matter, the copy/paste on filtered selection issue happens even with few rows (for us "few rows" are 20000).

Do you use 32-bit or 64-bit Office application? 64 bit, but we have tried with 32 too and it's worst.

When this happen the first thing we do it's assure that we are not leaving any active formula or external reference (even if Excel 2010 was able to work in any hard/impossible way).

We have many other problems like: crash on open, crash on first click, crash on change chart data if we make a selective selection (with "ctrl"), crash on mouse scroll (this happen with only 1 notebook so... should be not your fault).

We don't have any issue with Excel 2010 that continue to be very performing even with over 1million rows against this Excel 365 that crash/freeze with the operation that I mentioned.

I repeat: we have tested with hundreds different files and dozens different computers, the result is ever Excel 365 crash/freeze_minutes against Excel 2010 instant result.

We have noticed, also by macro, that now you keep the cache after a paste (this doesn't happened on Excel 2010). If we disable this option from macro seems to fix some copy/paste issue.

Have you any other suggestion?

Thanks.

Wednesday, March 7, 2018 3:46 PM
  • Hi,

Do you try to cehck if you login with a new profile, do this problem still exist?

Please try to delet %Temp% folder in your environment, maybe much information in there causing it to freeze sometimes.

Please try these methods.

Regards,

Emi

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, March 16, 2018 10:01 AM
  • Hello,

with the last update seems that all our problems have been fixed.

Good job,

Thanks.

Tuesday, March 20, 2018 10:00 AM
  • Hi,

It glad to hear your problem is solved.

I suggest you mark your solution as answer. Other partners who read the forums with the same issue can get more information from the correct result.

Thank you.

Regards,

Emi

Tuesday, March 20, 2018 10:08 AM