none
Exchange 2013 ECP and DAG issue RRS feed

• Question

• Good Day,

We have Exchange 2013 setup in Coexistence with Exchange 2007. Everything is working well except for two small issues I have noticed.

Current Setup of 2013:

SiteA:

2x CAS Servers on Windows 2012 R2 configured with windows NLB (Internet Facing).

2x MBX servers Configured in a DAG also running on Windows 2012 R2.

SiteB:

2x CAS Server on Windows 2012 R2.

2x MBX servers Configured in a DAG also running on Windows 2012 R2.

Issues I am having:

Issue 1:

When working on the ECP:

I can do all tasks on servers in the same site but get some errors when trying to do tasks on servers in the other site.

When trying to Activate a DB copy on the DAG at SiteB I get "The Microsoft Exchange Replication service does not appear to be running on Server name"

And just trying to go to the properties of a server at SiteB "An error occurred while accessing the registry on the server servername"

This happens vice versa.

I can access all servers on the same site but not between sites with some tasks.

I have made sure firewall is disabled and remote registry is indeed running but no luck.

From a network perspective all ports are open between the sites.

Issue 2:

When I reboot a DAG member with the active mailbox databases for testing outlook connectivity I get two issues.

Then I cannot access ECP at all until the server is up again.

Outlook keeps staying on trying to connect until it is reopened.

Any Ideas?

I will gladly give more information if needed.

Thank You

Riaan Rourke

Senior System Engineer

Monday, September 15, 2014 1:40 PM

Answers

• Hi ,

For issue 1:

Make sure all the exchange servers are installed with same CU'S 

For issue 2 :

From your configuration i  came to knew that you are having two node DAG extended across two sites .

What about the file share witness ? where you have kept that  ? whether it would be in site A or Site B?

Same time in your siteA  you are having CAS servers in NLB cluster .So for cluster name there would be an host A record in DNS , So during the database failover to Site B you should have to play with DNS.

That means just rename the HOST A record for nlb cluster name to the ip address of the cas server in SITE B .

PLease review the event logs in all the exchange servers. 

Please reply me if you have any queries.

Regards

S.Nithyanandham

Thanks S.Nithyanandham

• Marked as answer by Belinda Ma Friday, September 26, 2014 8:00 AM
    Wednesday, September 17, 2014 6:47 AM

All replies

• Are these VMs?  If so what are they running on?

Cheers,

Rhoderick

Microsoft Senior Exchange PFE

Blog: http://blogs.technet.com/rmilne  Twitter:   LinkedIn:   Facebook:   XING:

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Tuesday, September 16, 2014 3:35 AM
  • Hi Roderick,

Yes they run on VMware,

Regards

Tuesday, September 16, 2014 6:32 AM
  • I have setup the whole environment according to Virtualization best practises.

Might there be something is missed?

Kind regards

Tuesday, September 16, 2014 6:34 AM
  • Hi,

For the first issue, please make sure there is no network connectivity issues.

For the second issue, when you reboot one DAG members, auto-failover of database should start. Based on your description, auto-failover didn’t work.

Please use the Test-ReplicationHealth cmdlet to test the replication status.

Besides, please check the application log to see if there is any related error messages.

Best regards,

Belinda Ma
    TechNet Community Support

• Edited by Belinda Ma Tuesday, September 16, 2014 9:22 AM
    Tuesday, September 16, 2014 9:20 AM
  • Hi Belinda,

There are no connectivity issues.

The auto-failover does work,

The DBs goes active on the passive DAG member.

Thank You

Tuesday, September 16, 2014 1:08 PM
  • Since I don't see this with Hyper-V I'll assume this is on ESX. Please let me know it that's not correct.

In terms of virtualization best practices - whose list was that :) 

There are multiple configuration things that you *MUST* do when using WLBS on ESX.  It will depend upon multiple things in the environment.  I'd start with this

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1556

Fix that, and chances are the other item will be also remediated.

Cheers,

Rhoderick

Microsoft Senior Exchange PFE

Blog: http://blogs.technet.com/rmilne  Twitter:   LinkedIn:   Facebook:   XING:

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Tuesday, September 16, 2014 2:22 PM
  • NLB in Unicast was an issue initially but I have fixed that.

Currently running in Multicast mode.

And the issue between the sites any ideas?

Thanks

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 6:06 AM
  • Hi ,

For issue 1:

Make sure all the exchange servers are installed with same CU'S 

For issue 2 :

From your configuration i  came to knew that you are having two node DAG extended across two sites .

What about the file share witness ? where you have kept that  ? whether it would be in site A or Site B?

Same time in your siteA  you are having CAS servers in NLB cluster .So for cluster name there would be an host A record in DNS , So during the database failover to Site B you should have to play with DNS.

That means just rename the HOST A record for nlb cluster name to the ip address of the cas server in SITE B .

PLease review the event logs in all the exchange servers. 

Please reply me if you have any queries.

Regards

S.Nithyanandham

Thanks S.Nithyanandham

• Marked as answer by Belinda Ma Friday, September 26, 2014 8:00 AM
    Wednesday, September 17, 2014 6:47 AM