Adding a wireless router to a home network. RRS feed

• Question

• My computers and printer are hardwired into a modem. When I am on one of these hardwired computers, I can access the shared folders and print from any of them. I just bought a wireless router that is hardwired into the modem as well, so that I have wi fi access. However, I cannot access the shared folders or the printer when I am connected via wi fi. The router is a DIR-815. Any suggestions?
    Saturday, July 12, 2014 9:11 AM

Answers

• 1. You cannot be on both, ethernet and WiFi at the same time. When you are trying to connect to both, the fastest network wins.

2. Have you configured WiFi correctly on both, computers and printer? Can you see the WiFi router? Also check Device Manager and make sure that WiFi driver is "in".

3. Test WiFi router with mobile or similar device, chances are that router is not configured correctly.

You are given too few info to give direct help. Perhaps better platform for questions like this one is forum answers.microsoft.com.

HTH

Milos

• Proposed as answer by Michael_LS Thursday, July 17, 2014 8:40 AM
    • Marked as answer by Michael_Martin Thursday, July 24, 2014 2:45 PM
    Sunday, July 13, 2014 6:38 PM

All replies

• 1. You cannot be on both, ethernet and WiFi at the same time. When you are trying to connect to both, the fastest network wins.

2. Have you configured WiFi correctly on both, computers and printer? Can you see the WiFi router? Also check Device Manager and make sure that WiFi driver is "in".

3. Test WiFi router with mobile or similar device, chances are that router is not configured correctly.

You are given too few info to give direct help. Perhaps better platform for questions like this one is forum answers.microsoft.com.

HTH

Milos

• Proposed as answer by Michael_LS Thursday, July 17, 2014 8:40 AM
    • Marked as answer by Michael_Martin Thursday, July 24, 2014 2:45 PM
    Sunday, July 13, 2014 6:38 PM
  • Hi,

Do you need any further help regarding the issue here?

Best regards

Michael Shao
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, July 17, 2014 9:32 AM