none
Save as dbf feature missing from Excel 2007

Question

• I am currently working with GIS (Geographic Information System) with older ArcView 3x software as well. I used to work with dbf (databasefile) the feature which was supported till Excel 2003 and then the feature has been discontinued. Unfortunately ArcView 3x software is not capable of handling excel files directly but can handle dbf file. I shall be thankful if Microsoft can continue to provide support with dbf file in office 2010. Please consider my humble request.
    Umapathy (உமாபதி) MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician, Consumer Support Technician MCTS: Windows Vista - Configuration, BSc, MCP, A+, MCDST
    Tuesday, July 6, 2010 5:26 PM

Answers

• I don't think that is going to happen.
    But here is a free add-in that does SAVE_AS DBF
    best wishes
    I am currently working with GIS (Geographic Information System) with older ArcView 3x software as well. I used to work with dbf (databasefile) the feature which was supported till Excel 2003 and then the feature has been discontinued. Unfortunately ArcView 3x software is not capable of handling excel files directly but can handle dbf file. I shall be thankful if Microsoft can continue to provide support with dbf file in office 2010. Please consider my humble request.
    Umapathy (�?மாபதி) MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician, Consumer Support Technician MCTS: Windows Vista - Configuration, BSc, MCP, A+, MCDST

people.stfx.ca/bliengme
    Tuesday, July 6, 2010 9:28 PM

All replies

• I don't think that is going to happen.
    But here is a free add-in that does SAVE_AS DBF
    best wishes
    I am currently working with GIS (Geographic Information System) with older ArcView 3x software as well. I used to work with dbf (databasefile) the feature which was supported till Excel 2003 and then the feature has been discontinued. Unfortunately ArcView 3x software is not capable of handling excel files directly but can handle dbf file. I shall be thankful if Microsoft can continue to provide support with dbf file in office 2010. Please consider my humble request.
    Umapathy (�?மாபதி) MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician, Consumer Support Technician MCTS: Windows Vista - Configuration, BSc, MCP, A+, MCDST

people.stfx.ca/bliengme
    Tuesday, July 6, 2010 9:28 PM
  • Regarding Save As DBF, this was one of the "deprecated" features listed in the below article:

Deprecated features for Excel 2007
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/excel/archive/2006/08/24/718786.aspx

Wednesday, July 7, 2010 1:01 AM
  • Regarding Save As DBF, this was one of the "deprecated" features listed in the below article:

Deprecated features for Excel 2007
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/excel/archive/2006/08/24/718786.aspx

Dear Will Buffington,

Sorry for responding late but I do not understand the logic behind deprecating dbf when people like me actually need to save feature as most of the GIS (Geographic Information System) software need this format anyway. I am sure this trend will not be welcomed by GIS people for sure. For the time being I can use open office rather than going for Microsoft Office. I have been paid for doing GIS work and not for using Microsoft office. I am in a feeling that the blog is created by some one who is not aware of GIS.

Umapathy (உமாபதி) MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician, Consumer Support Technician MCTS: Windows Vista - Configuration, BSc, MCP, A+, MCDST
    Wednesday, January 12, 2011 9:26 AM
  • It is an utterly stupid move by whoever at Microsoft decided to remove the DBF format.  We moved to Open Source Calc software for that very reason.  We have some computers that came with Office 2010, but we do not use it for serious work.  We keep Excel 2000 as well, which still has the DBF format option, and works fine.  

The DBF is still a very popular format for work with the Army and other Government agencies in Washington DC.  Ironically, Microsoft still includes SLYK (MuliPlan which no one uses) but not DBF (which many people use), and loses business.  Given a choice between getting their work done, and using Microsoft Excel, people will choose the first.  

Removing the DBF format is one of the stupidest things I have ever seen Microsoft do.  It is an impetus to try Calc, and find that it is Open Source software is free and full featured.

Monday, March 28, 2011 3:33 PM
  • I also think that removing DBF format was like a despotic decision of a dictator not regarding people's need, what's more, Microsoft misleads users by leaving DBF file formats in VBA Help on SaveAs FileFormats.

Stefi

Üdv, Stefi
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 12:07 PM
  • ArcView 3x can connect to EXCEL through ODBC connection.  Make sure you define a Name for the range of the data.

FYI

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 2:41 PM
  • ArcView 3x can connect to EXCEL through ODBC connection.  Make sure you define a Name for the range of the data.

FYI

That sounds good and it's new to me. (Though I know ArcGIS 9/10 can utilize Excel). If you have any online resoureces will you please provide a link so that I can learn the stuff. Thanks in advance.

Thursday, November 17, 2011 5:23 PM
  • In Office 2007 and 2010 you can turn back on many of the 'blocked' formats in Excel by updating the registry. This example is for Excel. Similar ones are available for Word and PowerPoint.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Excel\Security\FileOpenBlock]
    "LotusandQuattroFiles"=dword:00000000
    "LegacyBinaryFiles"=dword:00000000
    "LegacyDatabaseAndDatasourceFiles"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Excel\Security\FileSaveBlock]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Access\Security\FileOpenBlock]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Excel\Security\FileOpenBlock]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Excel\Security\FileSaveBlock]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Access\Security\FileOpenBlock]

Rich

• Proposed as answer by Rich Daniels Tuesday, December 20, 2011 11:31 PM
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 11:30 PM
  • Question for you Rich,

Does that actually enable me to save to dbf from excel, like 2003 could? Would those registry settings work for offive 2007?  Where did you find instructions to do that?  ADoes it create any problems?

Thanks

Wednesday, February 1, 2012 5:20 PM
  • Question for you Rich,

Does that actually enable me to save to dbf from excel, like 2003 could? Would those registry settings work for offive 2007?  Where did you find instructions to do that?  ADoes it create any problems?

Thanks

I have tried its not working...  i want to open WK4 file in office 2007 which is a part of LotusandQuattroFiles
    Tuesday, August 7, 2012 7:46 PM
  • NOt working
    Tuesday, August 7, 2012 7:47 PM