none
Outlook 2010 and cached mode. RRS feed

• Question

• I recently updated two machines to outlook 2010 and the back end is a third-party hosted exchange 2010 server.  Prior to moving to 2010 everything seem to function normally.  After the 2010 upgrade I started to notice that at times after trying to send a message that Outlook would hang on the message send.  The hangs are usually around 5 to 10 seconds and during this hang Outlook will go "not responding" and will also say "outlook is trying to receive data from the Exchange Server"?  Usually after 5 to 10 seconds the messages go away, outlook delivers the message, and Outlook is no longer hung.  I should also add that often there is no hang and occasionally the hang is indefinite and I have to actually kill outlook.

What is confusing me is why is outlook is hanging at all?  When its operating in cached mode why does it need to contact the exchange server prior to releasing the message.  It seems that the sent message should go into the outbox and release outlook regardless of whether it is connected or not? 

I have tried running Outlook in safe mode and that doesn't eliminate the problem.  I have also turned off my Norton Internet Security mail scanning and that has had no effect.

Not sure what to try next?

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 9:29 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

This issue can be related to many factors, both the client side and the server side.

I would like to confirm if the problem occurs in online mode. You can turn on or office Exchange cached mode by the instructions in this article:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/turn-on-or-off-cached-exchange-mode-HP001232935.aspx

For general troubleshooting, you may also create a new Outlook profile from Start > Control Panel, click or double-click Mail. Click Show Profiles.

If the problem persists, please let me know. We may need further diagnostic on this issue.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com  

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Monday, September 20, 2010 6:28 AM
    Wednesday, September 15, 2010 7:26 AM
  •  

Hi,

I am writing to see how everything is going with this issue. Is the problem resolved? If there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

Friday, September 17, 2010 9:22 AM
  •  

Hi,

As I have not heard from you for several days. I will go ahead and close this thread. If this issue is not resolved or you have any questions, please feel free to reply to us and this thread will be re-opened.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

Monday, September 20, 2010 6:28 AM