none
First 2012 DC in Network has Tombstoned.

Question

• Hi,

We have a network that has mainly 2008R2 DC's and a couple of old 2003 DC's that are in the process of being replaced.

Some time ago, we successfully installed our first 2012 DC (a virtual machine).

For one reason or another, this server ended up being powered off and forgotten about and is now past the tombstone period for our forest (I've checked - its the default of 60 days).

My question is... what do you reckon is the best way forward? Do I install another 2012 DC and then do the removal of the tombstoned one (metadata cleanup). Or... do I do the removal first, before installing a new 2012 DC. Or is there something more complicated I need to worry about :)

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Regards

Friday, November 10, 2017 9:46 AM

All replies

• Hi

I'd prefer to forcefully demote this dc then perform metada cleanup.After that add another dc as additional domain controller.(server 2012 r2).

So don't worry you already prepared schems,domain,etc..You can add server 2012 as dc.point is just demote problematic dc remove it records.(metadata cleanup.)

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

• Proposed as answer by Tim Buntrock Friday, November 10, 2017 1:56 PM
    Friday, November 10, 2017 12:55 PM
  • Yes, thanks. That makes sense.

I'll do just that and report back.

Regards

Alpha Lan

Regards Alpha Lan

Friday, November 10, 2017 2:55 PM