none
Outlook on-premises migrated to exchange online without anyone knowing it RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We found there are 3 users mailbox migrated from on-premises to exchange online without anyone is aware of it.

This causes the issue with the 3 users outlook client connected to office 365 instead of the on-premises mail server. They have to add the reg key to have the connection back to the on-premises mail server.

I am wondering what can trigger the migration happen itself?

Thank you.

Monday, May 13, 2019 8:23 PM

All replies

• Hi,

We found there are 3 users mailbox migrated from on-premises to exchange online without anyone is aware of it.

This causes the issue with the 3 users outlook client connected to office 365 instead of the on-premises mail server. They have to add the reg key to have the connection back to the on-premises mail server.

I am wondering what can trigger the migration happen itself?

Thank you.

That cant happen without someone or some script moving them. Check get-moverequeststatistics and admin audit logging to see who moved them.

This statement doesnt make sense however "hey have to add the reg key to have the connection back to the on-premises mail server"

Monday, May 13, 2019 9:22 PM
  • Hi ginaqu,

Agree with Andy. The migration would not happen by itself. Admin audit logging would record that who has run the "new-moverequest" cmdlet, you can check the log to see who moved them.

Office 365 EAC > Compliance management > auditing > run the admin audit log report > find the "new-moverequest" cmdlet to check the detailed information, as below:

I create a move request to move the mailbox named nikotest, and check the audit log: 

Best Regards,
    Niko Cheng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, May 14, 2019 7:04 AM
  • Hi Niko,

Thank you for the detailed instructions.

I run the log report and I didn't find new-moverequest cmdlet in the past 2 weeks.

I am one of the mailbox migrated without notifying me and what happened to me was that last Tuesday my outlook suddenly direct connected to outlook instead of my on-premises exchange server. I have to reinstall outlook client on my pc and add the reg key to bypass the direct connect to fix my issue. then 2 days later one of my colleague had the same issue last week. Then I found we both and another user who have an online mailbox and showing we are migrated to online exchange while others remains not migrated.

I have no idea what happened. We are trying to find the root cause about it.

Do you have any ideas where I can start with?

Thank you soooo much for the help.

Tuesday, May 14, 2019 1:34 PM
  • Hi Niko,

Thank you for the detailed instructions.

I run the log report and I didn't find new-moverequest cmdlet in the past 2 weeks.

I am one of the mailbox migrated without notifying me and what happened to me was that last Tuesday my outlook suddenly direct connected to outlook instead of my on-premises exchange server. I have to reinstall outlook client on my pc and add the reg key to bypass the direct connect to fix my issue. then 2 days later one of my colleague had the same issue last week. Then I found we both and another user who have an online mailbox and showing we are migrated to online exchange while others remains not migrated.

I have no idea what happened. We are trying to find the root cause about it.

Do you have any ideas where I can start with?

Thank you soooo much for the help.

You should open a ticket with Office 365. That doesnt happen unless someone in your org is doing that.

I still dont understand what you mean by the reg key. Either your mailbox is in Exchange Online or its it not. You dont have 2 mailboxes. If you can use a reg key to connect to the on-prem mailbox then your mailbox wasnt moved and this is an Outlook client issue and someone is messing with the settings with a GPO or something similar

Tuesday, May 14, 2019 9:32 PM
  • Hi ginaqu,

I'm just writing to check how's everything going? If you have any questions or needed further help on this issue, please feel free to post back. If the issue has been resolved, please mark the helpful replies as answers, this will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,
    Niko Cheng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, May 21, 2019 9:42 AM
  • Hi,

The reg key is to bypass the autodiscovery process to directly connect to the online office365, we need to connect to the on-premise exchange server.

There is no logs and no evidences showing that someone migrated our mailboxed but 3 of us are having an online box for some reason. If someone was playing with GPO, it's only 3 of us affected which does not make sense as anyone else within the same OU is not affected.

I am still looking for a path that i can find the root cause.

Thank you.

Gina

Thursday, June 6, 2019 8:00 PM
  • Hi,

The reg key is to bypass the autodiscovery process to directly connect to the online office365, we need to connect to the on-premise exchange server.

There is no logs and no evidences showing that someone migrated our mailboxed but 3 of us are having an online box for some reason. If someone was playing with GPO, it's only 3 of us affected which does not make sense as anyone else within the same OU is not affected.

I am still looking for a path that i can find the root cause.

Thank you.

Gina

Ok, thats different than the actual mailbox being moved to Office 365. a GPO cant move a mailbox
    Thursday, June 6, 2019 8:31 PM