none
Problem playing DVD’s within Windows Media Center

Question

• I have installed a clean install of Windows 7 on two different machines and both have the same problem of not being able to play DVD’s from within Windows Media Center, the DVD does play using the Media Player.

When I try to play a DVD (from the drive or a ripped vob file on the hard drive) from within Windows Media Center, I get the following error:

“Video Error

Files needed to display video are not installed or are not working correctly. Restart Windows Media Center or restart the computer”

Thursday, September 17, 2009 6:21 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I have tested it on local machine. Windows Media Center can play DVD and VOB files without problem.

This issue is mainly caused by graphics drivers.

I would like to confirm which model of Computer and Graphics card is used.

At this time, you may try removing and reinstalling the graphics card:

Reinstall driver

==============

1. Click the Start Button, type "devmgmt.msc" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box and press Enter.

2. Double click to expand "Display adaptors".

3. Right click your graphics card and click Uninstall.

4. Check "Delete driver software for this device" check box, click OK.

5. Restart the computer

6. Click the Start Button, Type "appwiz.cpl" in the start search box and press Enter.

7. If any graphics card software is installed, please uninstall it.

If it persists, test it in Clean Boot mode.

You can also contact the manufacturers to confirm its Windows 7 compatibility.

Hope it helps.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Wednesday, September 23, 2009 1:57 AM
    Monday, September 21, 2009 3:50 AM
  • I am also suffering the same problems myself. As mentioned DVDs will play fine in Media Player just not in Media Center.

I am running on an Acer Revo (Aton N330 board with Nvidia ION chipset). I have my revo connected via HDMI to my Amp for Audio & video and then video onto LCD.

I am running the latest Nvidia drivers. I have tried reinstalling them but it made no difference.

I have tried changing the decider WMC uses for DVD playback to PowerDVD which appeared to fix the problem of playing physical DVDs but it still does not play any DVD Images via Movie Folders.

I have found this is NOT graphics related. If I unplug my HDMI and use VGA/Headphones it works. If I leave my headphones in and use HDMI for video only it also works. If I am using HDMI audio then it causes the problems.
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Thursday, December 17, 2009 2:59 AM
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 10:54 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Before going any further, I would like to know if Windows Media Center can play other media files.

This issue can be caused by incompatible Video drivers.

First, please update your BIOS, Chipset and Video driver from manufacturer's website.

If the issue persists, you can reset Windows Media program as below:

Reset Windows Media program

======================

1. Open Control Panel/Programs and Features.

2. Click "Turn Windows features on or off" in the left pane.

3. Expand "Media Features", uncheck "Windows Media Player". Click "Yes" to continue, and click OK to quit. Then Restart.

Note: If you turn off WMP, Windows Media Center will be turned off either. You may need to re-configure settings for Windows Media Center after re-enabling it.

4. Open "Turn Windows features on or off" again. Turn on the features "Windows Media Player" and "Windows Media Center". Restart.

5. Launch Windows Media Player, initialize the program.

If it does not work, try Windows Codec pack:

http://www.ghacks.net/2009/01/20/windows-7-codec-package/

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    Friday, September 18, 2009 3:58 AM
  • I have checked the PC has the most up-to-date drivers installed.

I removed and re-installed Media Center as you suggested but it made now differences.

I downloaded and installed the Windows 7 Codec Package, but it has made no difference to Media Center.

This problem of playing DVD’s is only from within Windows Media Center only, Media Player plays the DVD correctly. I have tested Media Center with a mpg file and it works correctly, but it is when I try to play a vob file I get the error and the movie does not play.

Friday, September 18, 2009 5:57 AM
  • Hi,

I have tested it on local machine. Windows Media Center can play DVD and VOB files without problem.

This issue is mainly caused by graphics drivers.

I would like to confirm which model of Computer and Graphics card is used.

At this time, you may try removing and reinstalling the graphics card:

Reinstall driver

==============

1. Click the Start Button, type "devmgmt.msc" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box and press Enter.

2. Double click to expand "Display adaptors".

3. Right click your graphics card and click Uninstall.

4. Check "Delete driver software for this device" check box, click OK.

5. Restart the computer

6. Click the Start Button, Type "appwiz.cpl" in the start search box and press Enter.

7. If any graphics card software is installed, please uninstall it.

If it persists, test it in Clean Boot mode.

You can also contact the manufacturers to confirm its Windows 7 compatibility.

Hope it helps.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Wednesday, September 23, 2009 1:57 AM
    Monday, September 21, 2009 3:50 AM
  • I am having the same problem as GTS300 after installing Windows7 release.  RC was working fine.

If i play a DVD in media center the audio loops only first 2 seconds or so of chapter, and then stops with the 'video error' message.
    If i play in Media player, video runs fine.

Very strange, I haven't been able to find a fix for this yet.

Joe
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 1:48 AM
  • I started having the problem after I open media player.  Before that media center was fine after the win7 upgrade.
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 3:10 PM
  • I am having the same problem w/ a fresh Windows 7 install.  It will play for about 1 or 2 seconds and then I get the infamous video error "Files needed to display video are not installed or not working correctly". I have a Intel DG45FC board w/ their latest Windows 7 drivers for video, audio, lan, etc.  The system also has a hauppage WinTV-HVR-2250 dual HT tuner with their latest Windows 7 drivers.  Is there a correct sequence of driver installation that I should be following?  It is important to note that I can play DVDs and recorded TV w/o any problem when I play directly from Windows Media Player but when I try to play them from within Media Center, then I get the video error.  This is incredibly frustrating.  Can anyone help?  I will personally bake a batch of homemade cookies to the 1st person who can solve my problem!  - Sean 
    Wednesday, November 04, 2009 5:33 PM
  • I have the same issue  and also have the HVR-2250 card in my machine. Is it possible that the driver is having the issue and affecting the video?
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 9:32 PM
  • I suppose that is possible but my 1st inclination is that it isn't related as I have the problem w/ DVD playback and w/ recorded TV playback which in theory the Hauppage card has nothing to do with in those scenarios.  This is frustrating - I have a EE degree, work for Intel for 15 years and have been building PCs most of my life as a hobby and this is one issue I have not been able to resolve.  I would really appreciate any guidance, tips or suggestions anyone might have.  Help!!!! :)
    Friday, November 13, 2009 3:16 PM
  • This does not seem to have solved the problem for anyone.  Can we get some more info, or possibly some other ideas?
    Monday, November 16, 2009 5:08 AM
  • I found some more information doing some testing last night.  It appears to only be certain video formats.  For instance, the opening FBI warning always works, and on some other shows theres an intro splash screen.  Warner bros logo, comedy central logo, or 'following preview blah balh' or other similar displays

It appears there is only an issue when it switches to the actual movie/menu that it gives me the video player error message. 

I have WinDVD installed, but i verified that I wasn't having this issue after installing that, and after removing it I still have the same issue.

Monday, November 16, 2009 5:47 PM
  • I am having the same problem w/ a fresh Windows 7 install.  It will play for about 1 or 2 seconds and then I get the infamous video error "Files needed to display video are not installed or not working correctly". I have a Intel DG45FC board w/ their latest Windows 7 drivers for video, audio, lan, etc.  The system also has a hauppage WinTV-HVR-2250 dual HT tuner with their latest Windows 7 drivers.  Is there a correct sequence of driver installation that I should be following?  It is important to note that I can play DVDs and recorded TV w/o any problem when I play directly from Windows Media Player but when I try to play them from within Media Center, then I get the video error.  This is incredibly frustrating.  Can anyone help?  I will personally bake a batch of homemade cookies to the 1st person who can solve my problem!  - Sean 
    Ha I work at Intel too Sean!

You are having this issue with a fresh install?  No other programs or updates applied?  I only get this issue after a while, but I haven't been able to pinpoint what causes the issue.

I assume you tried without the tuner card to see if DVDs playback?  I dont have a Tuner in mine and I get this issue.

Monday, November 16, 2009 9:51 PM
  • Hi... Uninstall your Audio and Graphic Driver, and reinstall by the below sequence:
    1) Install the HD Audio driver first
    2) Then install the Intel graphic driver.

This will solve the problem. I don;t know why. But, it fixed the problem.

Friday, November 20, 2009 12:33 PM
  • According to my research, it should be a video card driver problem. Please first make sure the drivers are up to date. You can also try the following steps:

Register Windows Media Center components
    =========================

1. Please click Start button, click All Programs, click Accessories, then right-click Command Prompt, in the right click menu, please click Run as administrator.
    2. Type the following commands, press Enter after each line.

regsvr32 atl.dll
    cd C:\WINDOWS\eHome
    ehSched /unregServer
    ehSched /service
    ehRecvr /unregServer
    ehRecvr /service
    ehRec.exe /unregServer
    ehRec.exe /regserver
    ehmsas.exe /unregServer
    ehmsas.exe /regserver

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    Monday, November 23, 2009 9:40 AM
  • I am also suffering the same problems myself. As mentioned DVDs will play fine in Media Player just not in Media Center.

I am running on an Acer Revo (Aton N330 board with Nvidia ION chipset). I have my revo connected via HDMI to my Amp for Audio & video and then video onto LCD.

I am running the latest Nvidia drivers. I have tried reinstalling them but it made no difference.

I have tried changing the decider WMC uses for DVD playback to PowerDVD which appeared to fix the problem of playing physical DVDs but it still does not play any DVD Images via Movie Folders.

I have found this is NOT graphics related. If I unplug my HDMI and use VGA/Headphones it works. If I leave my headphones in and use HDMI for video only it also works. If I am using HDMI audio then it causes the problems.
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Thursday, December 17, 2009 2:59 AM
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 10:54 AM
  • Vivian, I do appreciate your responses but I think a lot of us have already performed the basic tasks of uninstalling and reinstalling drivers, etc.  I also don't have any doubt that Windows Media Center can play DVDs for most configurations however there does seem to be a unique set of conditions that makes this fail.  It is extremely frustrating.

For the record, I have a clean install of Windows 7 on an Intel DG45ID motherboard w/ the very latest BIOS update and very latest WHQL certified audio/graphics drivers from Intel's website.  I do not have any third party applications installed w/ the exception of PowerDVD (to play blu-ray movies since Windows 7 does not support that natively) and iTunes.

It is important to note that I am able to play DVDs and recorded shows w/o any problem using Windows Media Player.  I only experience this problem when I am using Windows Media Center to do the same thing.  I also have this problem using Windows Media center to play live TV.

After reading about the issues that others are having, I believe I see common configuration of those users who have same problem which is it appears to me that all are using HDMI for video and all are using HDMI for audio as well.  Is this true?  I have a suspicion that if a different audio source is used (analog or SPDIF) that the problem will not manifest itself but I haven't verified this yet (I'll buy an optical audio cable today to test).

Is there anyone else out there who is seeing the same error who is not using HDMI audio/video?

Also, does anyone know how to "hardwire" the HDMI video output settings instead of it autoconfiguring every time my TV and/or stereo gets turned on?

Thanks,
    Sean
    Monday, December 14, 2009 6:29 PM
  • I am having a very similar problem. This seems to occur when outputing 5.1 audio over HDMI.

I receive the following error in 7MC when i try to play any audio source that has 5.1 surround sound. 

Video Error
        Files needed to display video are not installed or not working correctly. Please restart Media Center and/or restart the computer.

System:

• Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (clean install from formatted HD, fully patched)
    • Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz
    • GIGABYTE GA-E7AUM-DS2H LGA 775 NVIDIA GeForce 9400 HDMI
    • G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066
    • LG Black 8X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 40X CD-ROM SATA Internal
    • Hauppauge HVR-1800
    • Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31500341AS 1.5TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s

I am running the audio via HDMI output to my Denon AVR-4310CI receiver. The other audio outputs are disabled. All drivers are current WHQL releases from manufacturers. There are no codec packs or additional software installed. If i set the audio output to 2 speaker in the Windows Audio settings everything works fine, with stereo output. The error appears when after setting the speaker configuration to 5.1 in the Windows Audio control panel.

I can place a DVD in the system and play it via Windows Media Player and everything works as expected. If i try to play the same DVD via 7MC I get the above video error. I have also tried adding in an ATI Radeon 5750 video card with current 9.11 drivers and I get the same result. My system passes the cable tuner validation so i am reasonably assured that HDCP is working correctly. I have reloaded Windows 7 twice now with each time showing the same error. I do not see any errors or warnings in the system or application logs.

I am at a loss on what to try next. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tuesday, December 15, 2009 12:54 AM
  • OK, now I think we are getting somewhere.  grune23, I think you hit the nail on the head.  The issue seems to occur when HDMI is being used for audio and video and the output is set for 5.1 (or 7.1).  I too am running the HDMI signal into a receiver (Harmon Kardon) in video pass through mode to my plasma.  Last night I ran a simple experiment in which I was able to induce the "Files needed to display video are not installed or not working correctly. Please restart Media Center and/or restart the computer" error by using my standard setup (video over HDMI + 5.1 audio over HDMI through my receiver to my TV) and running media center and then playing a DVD.  I was able to get the failure everytime I did this.  I was able to play the DVD fine directly from Windows Media Player but never using Media Center.  I then simply disabled the HDMI audio and plugged in a USB headset, the issue went completely away.  I then unplugged the USB headset, turned HDMI audio back on, and the issue came right back.  As another experiment, I simply configured the HDMI audio to stereo mode (instead of 5.1 mode) and the system worked fine.

In short, there seems to be a Microsoft Media Center bug when using HDMI for both video and 5.1 (or greater) audio.

Microsoft, have you been able to replicate this problem in your lab using a similar configuration as above?

Tonight, I will see if I can apply a bandaid to the problem simply by disabling HDMI audio and using an digital optical cable to my reciever in 5.1 mode.  If this works, I am happy but I think MSFT should look into this further as this has been a horrible Windows 7 out of the box experience.

- Sean
    • Proposed as answer by Alex Brodie Thursday, December 31, 2009 6:19 AM
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 6:22 PM
  • Yeah, I am NOT using HDMI audio, just the video from DVI (DVI to HDMI cable to my TV) and my DVD playback within MCE is perfect. I can even fast forward and rewind a lot within one disc. I output my sound from the motherboard to a sub/right/left set of speakers. I think you guys are on the right track!

T
    HTPC1: Win7 Pro 64, Apevia X-Master Case, ASUS P5P43TD Pro Motherboard, Intel 2.66GHz Quad Core, 4GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM, 1TB WD Caviar 7200RPM Hard Drive, ASUS NVidia EN9500GT 1GB VGA, Hauppauge HVR-2250 PCIe Dual Hybrid TV/FM Tuner, ASUS My Cinema PHC3-100 PCI Combo TV/FM Tuner, LG GGW-H20L Blu-Ray RW/HD-DVD/DVD-RW Drive, Pioneer DVR-212D DVD-RW Drive, Generic USB Card Reader, StarTech PCI CardBus Adapter, Logitech MK700 Wireless Keyboard+Mouse, Syba USB Bluetooth Adapter, Magnavox 42in HDTV
    • Edited by airfirehorse Wednesday, December 16, 2009 9:46 PM left something out
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 9:46 PM
  • Hi All,

Thank you for keep reporting the results of each troubleshooting steps. I am glad to hear that disabling HDMI resolved some of this issue. I will record it and forward this information to the appropriate department through our internal channel.

Thank you all!
    Vivian Xing - MSFT
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 3:03 AM
  • I too can confirm that changing from 5.1 over HDMI to stereo over HDMI fixes the problem.  This appears to be a 100% reproducible issue.
    Friday, December 18, 2009 2:12 AM
  • Vivian

I have a brand new machine
    Intel i7 2.66 processor
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    Saphire 5770
    EVGA x58 mother board
    Hauppaugh Win TV
    6 Gig RAM

All clean installs of compatible drivers

Windows Media Center will not play dvd files.  Same error as everyone else on this chain....files not working....

If I disable surround sound on HDMI files play.  Quad/5.1/7.1 audio crashes WMC

I have to say I too am quite disappointed to have spent all of this time and money to find my HTPC can only play stereo.

HELP! 
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 6:25 PM
  • I agree, this is quite frustrating.  Thanks to all who have confirmed that the problem is w/ 5.1 audio running over HDMI and that it goes away w/ running stereo over HDMI.  It seems that many folks experiencing this problem also have a Hauppage TV tuner.  Can someone please respond who is experiencing this issue who DOES NOT have a Hauppage TV tuner?  I wonder if this is also an important clue for MSFT.

Also, I would like MSFTs acknowledgement of this problem and formal documentation on their site of the issue w/ proposed work arounds (i.e. downgrade to stereo over HDMI and/or use a separate audio channel such as SPDIF, etc).

- Sean
    Monday, December 28, 2009 6:04 PM
  • Same issue, i have a haupagge tuner, and only have the issue using hdmi video and audio.
    Something new.
    I reinstalled windows 7 clean install.
    Standard ati drivers during install from windows.
    Graphics fine. audio 2-channnel hdmi. (no i have 7.1 tuner)
    Movies and tv tuner work fine in media center with no error (other than stereo sound in all applications).

Install ati radeon 4870 drivers. hdmi 7.1 works in everything but media center. "video error, files . . "

Did another clean install of windows 7.
    Installed only realtek hdmi audio drivers for ati. on top of the standard windows radeon driver. (did not install ati's).
    now!!!!
    Surround works in all software. Media center plays dvd without error. But, still in stereo (i clicked 7.1 in setup of sound and in media center, no difference)

FYI, i would install third party software after, after, testing the clean environment.

If everything works but media center, then doesn't the problem, mean: media center?
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 2:03 AM
  • Can someone please respond who is experiencing this issue who DOES NOT have a Hauppage TV tuner?  I wonder if this is also an important clue for MSFT.

I do NOT have a TV tuner of any kind installed.  In my case this is running on an Acer Revo 3610 (same as the third post in the thread).  This system uses an nVidia ION chipset.

-- Dave
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 4:29 PM
  • I was having the identical problem - WMP played DVDs fine, but WMC failed with that files missing error after a few seconds. Updating the "manage audio settings" to stereo fixed the issue for me.

You get credit for saving Christmas in my book - the Hulu+Netflix+Bluray HTPC build for my wife is salvaged. :)

I wish the moderators around here weren't so eager to sweep issues under the rug and approve bad answers that clearly don't help anyone. It'd be nice if it took less than an hour worth of digging to have an internet search resolve to something as useful as this post.

Thursday, December 31, 2009 6:26 AM
  • I'm having the exact same problem (Win Media Player plays DVDs fine, PowerDVD within 7MC works fine, 7MC fails; initial video on dvd works and then the error occurs likely when audio changes to 5.1) as described in this thread with a fresh Win 7 install on a GA-P55A-UD3 with an HIS H467QS1GH Radeon HD 4670 graphics card. 
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 9:03 PM
  • Forget about HDMI, drivers and what have you: try to play 'Movie' in stead of 'Video' - and tada!!
    Saturday, January 02, 2010 10:35 PM
  • Hi Vivian,

I have the same issue on a fresh build, can you give us an update from the product group?

rgds

mat
    Monday, January 04, 2010 4:22 PM
  • Hi Vivian

I have the same problem as above (system details below). When I configure the HDMI output to STEREO output, playback works for DVD discs and DVDs stored on Hard Disk. These all play correctly and output 5.1 surround (despite setting the HDMI output as STEREO?). For Video games however, when setting the HDMI output to stereo, these no longer produce 5.1 and are instead output in STEREO.

Please advise of prgoress

Thx

Dwayne

System:
    MoBo: ASUS P5QSE2, CPU: E8400 at 4.3 Ghz, Graphics HD5870 (all audio routed through 5870 HDMI and into Pioneer 7.1 Receiver)
    Wednesday, January 06, 2010 3:55 AM
  • Vivian,

I have a new home-built machine with the same issue in Media Center.  Items will play for about 1 or 2 seconds, but with skipping sound, then I get the video error "Files needed to display video are not installed or not working correctly".

ASUS M4N78 Pro motherboard with NVidia GeForce 8300 video chipset
    AMD Athalon II X2 250 3 Ghz CPU
    4 Gb Corsair DDR2 800 MHz RAM
    Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 Tuner Card
    LG Blu-Ray drive
    Onkyo receiver with HDMI pass-thru
    Windows 7 64 Bit
    I've confirmed that the issue only occurs when playing items with 5.1 surround sound in Media Center.  Items play fine in other media players.  I've updated the audio, video, and TV tuner drivers to the latest configs, but it didn't help.  

This motherboard has an Optical audio-out, and if I use the Optical to send the sound to the receiver, everything works fine.  Everything plays, great sound, no issue.  But if I try to use HDMI for audio and video, I can only play items if they are in stereo.

I want to get away from the Optical audio because when I play blu-ray disks in the PowerDVD player, the sound cuts out for about 1/2 second when it switches chapters.  Over HDMI, everything works perfectly.

So now, if I watch items in Media Center, I need to configure the audio to go through the Optical cable.  If I want to watch a Blu-Ray, I need to re-configure the computer to use HDMI audio.  Very annoying.

Any help you can give would be much appreciated.  Thanks!
    • Edited by kevsmithbu Wednesday, January 13, 2010 6:26 PM Updated with Windows 7 version
    Sunday, January 10, 2010 1:55 PM
  • I agree, this is quite frustrating.  Thanks to all who have confirmed that the problem is w/ 5.1 audio running over HDMI and that it goes away w/ running stereo over HDMI.  It seems that many folks experiencing this problem also have a Hauppage TV tuner.  Can someone please respond who is experiencing this issue who DOES NOT have a Hauppage TV tuner?  I wonder if this is also an important clue for MSFT.

Also, I would like MSFTs acknowledgement of this problem and formal documentation on their site of the issue w/ proposed work arounds (i.e. downgrade to stereo over HDMI and/or use a separate audio channel such as SPDIF, etc).

- Sean
    No Hauppage TV tune here. Same issue: DVD with 5.1 sound thru HDMI works on WMP but errors on WMC.

Dell Inspiron Zino HD
    CPU: AMD Athlon™ X2 3250e processor
    Graphics: ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 4330 GPU
    Memory: 4GB of DDR2 800
    Windows® 7 Home Premium 64Bit

Monday, January 11, 2010 3:38 AM
  • Count me in on this problem. 

I upgraded to Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, from Vista 64 bit, and now I can't open Windows Media Center.  First it was if I just put a DVD in the player, but now I realize if I just try to open the Media Center this happes: The mouse curser disappears and although the program shows on the bottom bar I can't toggle to it.  I have to control alt delete to log off and then log back on to get back to nomal.  Then, I can open the DVD with antoher program and all is fine.  A similar thing happens with any Powerpoint presentation that I try to open from an email.  Help!
    Monday, January 11, 2010 3:52 PM
  • I have the same issue, when I play over HDMI video decoder error. Over VGA it works fine, no issue.
    Any news.

Windows 7 64-bit
    ATI 4550 with 9.12
    Happauge 1800 (WinTv 7)
    Athalon 3500+ 64-bit
    • Edited by JamHandMan Wednesday, January 13, 2010 3:25 PM
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 12:27 AM
  • I believe this whole issue stems from an update somewhere. I've been running my HTPC with W7 from the Beta stages and now run it using the W7 ultimate edition. I've had no issues with DVD sound in WMC7 up until about 2 months ago and this issue cropped up. I've do no new installs, no changes to the computer other than updating the ATI video drivers to 9.12. All drivers are up to date for everything else. I will try and roll back the ATI drivers to an older release to see if that may be the issue. It's either the ATI drivers or an update MS installed that I missed. I have them set to download but not install without my permission. I'm therefore leaning to an ATI issue. CCC 10.1 should be out soon as well.
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 4:07 AM
  • Hmmm, you may be right that it is the 9.12 CCC. I was going to try this lastnight, but didn't have time. Let us know if a driver rollback helps. :^)
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 3:27 PM
  • Well, I tried the 9.12 hotfix driver last night with no affect.  I also tried a Beta version of 10.1 and also no change.  I will try to do a rollback to an older driver to test that.  I will go back to 9.8 as that seems when the problems on here appear to have begun (starting in 9.9).  I will do a full driver sweeper run as well to clear the system of ATI leftovers before I do it as well.  Will follow up tonight if any progress.
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 3:30 PM
  • For what it is worth, I have Intel integrated graphics (45 series chipset) so my issue is not related to ATI drivers.  It seems this issue is manefested will various brands of graphics cards (NVidia, Intel and ATI) as well as w/ Intel and AMD CPUs.  When is MSFT going to start responding to these threads and acknowledge that this is a real problem?  How can Win7 be positioned for HTPC applications with such a rudimentary problem as this?
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 9:58 PM
  • No one from the Media Center Product team seems to be answering questions on
    this forum.

MS wants http://thegreenbutton.com to be the official venue for Media Center,
    including support.

While I can't guarantee that you will get the answers you want, you could
    try.... posting there.

On Wed, 13-Jan-10 21:58:14 GMT, SeanKohler wrote:

For what it is worth, I have Intel integrated graphics (45 series chipset) so my
    issue is not related to ATI drivers. It seems this issue is manefested will
    various brands of graphics cards (NVidia, Intel and ATI) as well as w/ Intel and
    AMD CPUs. When is MSFT going to start responding to these threads and
    acknowledge that this is a real problem? How can Win7 be positioned for HTPC
    applications with such a rudimentary problem as this?

Barb Bowman www.digitalmediaphile.com
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 12:11 PM
  • I just put a new post on The Green Button:

http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/p/84411/421916.aspx#421916

Everyone please feel free to post descriptions there.  Hopefully, Microsoft will notice.
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 1:24 PM
  • Has anyone logged a support call yet? If you have can you post your SR here as i am going log one in the next day or so.

Thursday, January 14, 2010 2:02 PM
  • I have not called. I'm actually still running the RC of Windows 7. I've been saving up. :^/
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 3:51 PM
  • Well, I've corrected it on my computer. 

I had done everything from upgrade/downgrade my video and audio drivers, install uninstall codecs, etc.  Nothing worked. 

Went back to my AVS forum site and found someone with a similar issue and a VERY simple solution.  I tried it and low and behold, it worked! All I had to do was disable the navigation sounds in WMC..... close WMC, restart and all the DVD's now play, granted no sounds when navigating WMC, but I'll take that. 

To disable it, open WMC, go to Tasks, settings, general, visual and sound effects and uncheck 'play sounds when navigating WMC'  back out, close and restart wmc.

Let me know if this works for anyone else. 
    • Proposed as answer by TirsoA Saturday, January 23, 2010 5:11 AM
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 5:12 AM
  • VampyreGTX - thank you - that solution works exactly as described - after disabling navigation sounds in WMC I can now watch all the My Movie DVD's (stored on HD) and Digital TV (Live and Recorded) whereas I could not before. So, I can now go between WMC and PC games and both are in full 5.1 surround over HDMI (without me having to adjust audio properties!)

so - to VampyreGTX - Thanks bro

To Microsoft - :o|   *that is a frowning face! ... a stern frowning face*

Boyze
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 7:29 AM
  • The fix works for me as well.
    Disabling sound effects in WMC allows 5.1 audio over HDMI.
    Saturday, January 23, 2010 5:13 AM
  • Still not working for me :^/ I disabled the sounds and I still have the issue where the DVD's menu half loads, playback restarts and the it dies. I'll just have to keep using Windows Media Player until MS can fix the issue. 
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 5:23 AM
  • After disabling the navigation sounds and setting 5.1 surround sound over HDMI, you need to restart the computer.  That's what I needed to do for it to work for me.
    Monday, January 25, 2010 2:39 AM
  • Ahh, ok. I will try this and report back.
    Monday, January 25, 2010 3:27 AM
  • I have tried all the above and still no joy!  This is a fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate, fully patched.  I ran dxdiag and saved the results to see if anyone might have a clue why this is happening. 

I can not play DVD's or Netflix movies within WMC.  Outside of WMC, DVD's play fine in WMP and I can also watch Netflix movies in the browser.  I have the latest, Flash, Silverlight, Shockwave, Quicktime installed. 

When I attempt to play a Netflix movie, the Netflix menu comes up, allows me to browse, select a movie and after clicking play (or resume), the screen blanks, the WMC nav buttons disappear, the screen blinks then blanks and then the nav menu at the top reappears.  The mouse never goes off the screen.

When I attempt to play a DVD, I get the "video error files needed to display video are not installed" message.

------------------
    System Information
    ------------------
    Time of this report: 1/30/2010, 11:30:09
           Machine name: WMCNightmare
       Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_rtm.090713-1255)
               Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.               
           System Model: Dimension 4700              
                   BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A09
              Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
                 Memory: 4096MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 3062MB RAM
              Page File: 883MB used, 5237MB available
            Windows Dir: C:\Windows
        DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
       User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
     System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
        DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
         DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 32bit Unicode

------------
    DxDiag Notes
    ------------
          Display Tab 1: No problems found.
            Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
              Input Tab: No problems found.

--------------------
    DirectX Debug Levels
    --------------------
    Direct3D:    0/4 (retail)
    DirectDraw:  0/4 (retail)
    DirectInput: 0/5 (retail)
    DirectMusic: 0/5 (retail)
    DirectPlay:  0/9 (retail)
    DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
    DirectShow:  0/6 (retail)

---------------
    Display Devices
    ---------------
              Card name: Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family
           Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
              Chip type: Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset
               DAC type: Internal
             Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2582&SUBSYS_01811028&REV_04
         Display Memory: 122.0 MB
       Dedicated Memory: n/a
          Shared Memory: n/a
           Current Mode: 1280 x 1024 (32 bit) (60Hz)
           Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
          Monitor Model:
             Monitor Id:
            Native Mode:
            Output Type:
            Driver Name: igxprd32
    Driver File Version: 6.14.0010.4704 (English)
         Driver Version: 6.14.10.4704
            DDI Version: 9
           Driver Model: unknown
      Driver Attributes: Final Retail
       Driver Date/Size: 10/6/2006 22:23:32, 53248 bytes
            WHQL Logo'd: Yes
        WHQL Date Stamp:
      Device Identifier: {D7B78E66-66C2-11CF-F861-8B21A5C2CB35}
              Vendor ID: 0x8086
              Device ID: 0x2582
              SubSys ID: 0x01811028
            Revision ID: 0x0004
     Driver Strong Name: Unknown
         Rank Of Driver: Unknown
            Video Accel:
          Deinterlace Caps: n/a
           D3D9 Overlay: n/a
                DXVA-HD: n/a
           DDraw Status: Enabled
             D3D Status: Enabled
             AGP Status: Not Available

-------------
    Sound Devices
    -------------
                Description: Speakers (SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio)
     Default Sound Playback: Yes
     Default Voice Playback: Yes
                Hardware ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_266E&SUBSYS_01811028&REV_03
            Manufacturer ID: 1
                 Product ID: 100
                       Type: WDM
                Driver Name: smwdm.sys
             Driver Version: 5.12.0001.7010 (English)
                WHQL Logo'd: Yes
              Date and Size: 11/29/2005 21:30:24, 260224 bytes
                Other Files:
            Driver Provider: Analog Devices
             HW Accel Level: Basic
                  Cap Flags: 0xF1F
        Min/Max Sample Rate: 100, 200000
    Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 1, 0
     Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 0, 0
                  HW Memory: 0
           Voice Management: No
     EAX(tm) 2.0 Listen/Src: No, No
       I3DL2(tm) Listen/Src: No, No
    Sensaura(tm) ZoomFX(tm): No

---------------------
    Sound Capture Devices
    ---------------------
                Description: Microphone (SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio)
      Default Sound Capture: Yes
      Default Voice Capture: No
                  Cap Flags: 0x1
               Format Flags: 0xFFFFF

Description: Phone Line (SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio)
      Default Sound Capture: No
      Default Voice Capture: Yes

Description: Line In (SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio)
      Default Sound Capture: No
      Default Voice Capture: No

-------------------
    DirectInput Devices
    -------------------
          Device Name: Mouse
             Attached: 1
        Controller ID: n/a
    Vendor/Product ID: n/a
            FF Driver: n/a

Device Name: Keyboard
             Attached: 1
        Controller ID: n/a
    Vendor/Product ID: n/a
            FF Driver: n/a

Poll w/ Interrupt: No

-----------
    USB Devices
    -----------
    + USB Root Hub
    | Vendor/Product ID: 0x8086, 0x2659
    | Matching Device ID: usb\root_hub
    | Service: usbhub
    | Driver: usbhub.sys, 7/13/2009 18:52:09, 258560 bytes
    | Driver: usbd.sys, 7/13/2009 18:51:05, 5888 bytes
    |
    +-+ Microsoft USB Wheel Mouse Optical
    | | Vendor/Product ID: 0x045E, 0x0040
    | | Location: Port_#0001.Hub_#0002
    | | Matching Device ID: usb\vid_045e&pid_0040
    | | Service: HidUsb
    | | Driver: hidusb.sys, 7/13/2009 18:51:04, 24064 bytes
    | | Driver: hidclass.sys, 7/13/2009 18:51:01, 55808 bytes
    | | Driver: hidparse.sys, 7/13/2009 18:51:00, 25728 bytes
    | |
    | +-+ HID-compliant Mouse
    | | | Vendor/Product ID: 0x045E, 0x0040
    | | | Matching Device ID: hid\vid_046d&pid_c000
    | | | Lower Filters: LHidFlt2
    | | | Service: mouhid
    | | | Driver: LHidFlt2.sys, 5/21/2002 10:50:00, 23270 bytes
    | | | Driver: LMouFlt2.sys, 5/21/2002 10:50:00, 68886 bytes
    | | | Driver: LKbdFlt2.sys, 5/21/2002 10:50:00, 5846 bytes
    | | | Driver: mouhid.sys, 7/13/2009 18:45:08, 26112 bytes
    | | | Driver: mouclass.sys, 7/13/2009 20:20:44, 41552 bytes
    | | | Driver: LCoInst.dll, 5/21/2002 10:50:00, 19188 bytes

----------------
    Gameport Devices
    ----------------

------------
    PS/2 Devices
    ------------
    + HID Keyboard Device
    | Vendor/Product ID: 0x413C, 0x2003
    | Matching Device ID: hid_device_system_keyboard
    | Service: kbdhid
    | Driver: kbdhid.sys, 7/13/2009 18:45:09, 28160 bytes
    | Driver: kbdclass.sys, 7/13/2009 20:20:36, 42576 bytes
    |
    + Terminal Server Keyboard Driver
    | Matching Device ID: root\rdp_kbd
    | Upper Filters: kbdclass
    | Service: TermDD
    | Driver: i8042prt.sys, 7/13/2009 18:11:24, 80896 bytes
    | Driver: kbdclass.sys, 7/13/2009 20:20:36, 42576 bytes
    |
    + Terminal Server Mouse Driver
    | Matching Device ID: root\rdp_mou
    | Upper Filters: mouclass
    | Service: TermDD
    | Driver: termdd.sys, 7/13/2009 20:19:10, 51776 bytes
    | Driver: sermouse.sys, 7/13/2009 18:45:08, 19968 bytes
    | Driver: mouclass.sys, 7/13/2009 20:20:44, 41552 bytes

------------------------
    Disk & DVD/CD-ROM Drives
    ------------------------
          Drive: C:
     Free Space: 129.0 GB
    Total Space: 152.5 GB
    File System: NTFS
          Model: WDC WD1600JD-75HBB0 ATA Device

Drive: D:
     Free Space: 33.9 GB
    Total Space: 152.6 GB
    File System: NTFS
          Model: WDC WD1600JD-22HBB0 ATA Device

Drive: F:
          Model: SONY DVD RW DRU-800A ATA Device
         Driver: c:\windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys, 6.01.7600.16385 (English), 7/13/2009 18:11:26, 108544 bytes

Drive: E:
          Model: TSSTcorp CD-RW   TS-H292B ATA Device
         Driver: c:\windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys, 6.01.7600.16385 (English), 7/13/2009 18:11:26, 108544 bytes

--------------
    System Devices
    --------------
         Name: Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM USB Universal Host Controller - 265A
    Device ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_265A&SUBSYS_01811028&REV_03\3&172E68DD&0&EA
       Driver: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\usbuhci.sys, 6.01.7600.16385 (English), 7/13/2009 18:51:10, 24064 bytes
       Driver: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\usbport.sys, 6.01.7600.16385 (English), 7/13/2009 18:51:15, 284160 bytes
       Driver: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\usbhub.sys, 6.01.7600.16385 (English), 7/13/2009 18:52:09, 258560 bytes

Name: Intel(R) 82801 PCI Bridge - 244E
    Device ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_244E&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_D3\3&172E68DD&0&F0
       Driver: C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\pci.sys, 6.01.7600.16385 (English), 7/13/2009 20:20:45, 153680 bytes

Name: Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family
    Device ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2782&SUBSYS_01811028&REV_04\3&172E68DD&0&11
       Driver: n/a

Name: Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM USB Universal Host Controller - 2659
    Device ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2659&SUBSYS_01811028&REV_03\3&172E68DD&0&E9
       Driver: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\usbuhci.sys, 6.01.7600.16385 (English), 7/13/2009 18:51:10, 24064 bytes
       Driver: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\usbport.sys, 6.01.7600.16385 (English), 7/13/2009 18:51:15, 284160 bytes
       Driver: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\usbhub.sys, 6.01.7600.16385 (English), 7/13/2009 18:52:09, 258560 bytes

Name: Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection
    Device ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1064&SUBSYS_01811028&REV_03\4&10416D21&0&40F0
       Driver: C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\e100b325.sys, 8.00.0047.0000 (English), 7/13/2009 17:02:49, 159232 bytes

Name: Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 266F
    Device ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_266F&SUBSYS_01811028&REV_03\3&172E68DD&0&F9
       Driver: C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\intelide.sys, 6.01.7600.16385 (English), 7/13/2009 20:20:36, 15424 bytes
       Driver: C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\pciidex.sys, 6.01.7600.16385 (English), 7/13/2009 20:19:03, 42560 bytes
       Driver: C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\atapi.sys, 6.01.7600.16385 (English), 7/13/2009 20:26:15, 21584 bytes
       Driver: C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\ataport.sys, 6.01.7600.16385 (English), 7/13/2009 20:26:15, 133200 bytes

Name: Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM USB Universal Host Controller - 2658
    Device ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2658&SUBSYS_01811028&REV_03\3&172E68DD&0&E8

Name: SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio
    Device ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_266E&SUBSYS_01811028&REV_03\3&172E68DD&0&F2
       Driver: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\smwdm.sys, 5.12.0001.7010 (English), 11/29/2005 21:30:24, 260224 bytes
       Driver: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\drmk.sys, 6.01.7600.16385 (English), 7/13/2009 19:41:37, 80896 bytes
       Driver: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\portcls.sys, 6.01.7600.16385 (English), 7/13/2009 18:51:02, 177152 bytes

Name: Intel(R) 82801FB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 2651
    Device ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2651&SUBSYS_01811028&REV_03\3&172E68DD&0&FA
       Driver: C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\intelide.sys, 6.01.7600.16385 (English), 7/13/2009 20:20:36, 15424 bytes
       Driver: C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\pciidex.sys, 6.01.7600.16385 (English), 7/13/2009 20:19:03, 42560 bytes
       Driver: C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\atapi.sys, 6.01.7600.16385 (English), 7/13/2009 20:26:15, 21584 bytes
       Driver: C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\ataport.sys, 6.01.7600.16385 (English), 7/13/2009 20:26:15, 133200 bytes

Name: Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM SMBus Controller - 266A
    Device ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_266A&SUBSYS_01811028&REV_03\3&172E68DD&0&FB

Name: Intel(R) 82801FB LPC Interface Controller - 2640
    Device ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2640&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_03\3&172E68DD&0&F8
       Driver: C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\msisadrv.sys, 6.01.7600.16385 (English), 7/13/2009 20:20:43, 13888 bytes

Name: Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM PCI Express Root Port - 2660
    Device ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2660&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_03\3&172E68DD&0&E0
       Driver: C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\pci.sys, 6.01.7600.16385 (English), 7/13/2009 20:20:45, 153680 bytes

Name: Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family
    Device ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2582&SUBSYS_01811028&REV_04\3&172E68DD&0&10
       Driver: C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\igxpmp32.sys, 6.14.0010.4704 (English), 10/6/2006 22:24:00, 1181824 bytes
       Driver: C:\Windows\system32\igxprd32.dll, 6.14.0010.4704 (English), 10/6/2006 22:23:32, 53248 bytes
       Driver: C:\Windows\system32\igxpgd32.dll, 6.14.0010.4704 (English), 10/6/2006 22:23:22, 146432 bytes
       Driver: C:\Windows\system32\igxpdv32.dll, 6.14.0010.4704 (English), 10/6/2006 22:22:54, 1442848 bytes
       Driver: C:\Windows\system32\igxpdx32.dll, 6.14.0010.4704 (English), 10/6/2006 22:24:42, 2262528 bytes
       Driver: C:\Windows\system32\igxpxa32.cpa, 10/6/2006 19:58:50, 655842 bytes
       Driver: C:\Windows\system32\igxpxa32.vp, 10/6/2006 19:58:50, 929 bytes
       Driver: C:\Windows\system32\igxpxk32.vp, 10/6/2006 19:58:50, 2096 bytes
       Driver: C:\Windows\system32\igxpxs32.vp, 10/6/2006 23:41:32, 23632 bytes
       Driver: C:\Windows\system32\hccutils.dll, 3.00.0000.4704 (English), 10/6/2006 20:09:08, 81920 bytes
       Driver: C:\Windows\system32\igfxsrvc.dll, 3.00.0000.4704 (English), 10/6/2006 20:09:34, 44032 bytes
       Driver: C:\Windows\system32\igfxsrvc.exe, 3.00.0000.4704 (English), 10/6/2006 20:09:32, 192512 bytes
       Driver: C:\Windows\system32\igfxpph.dll, 3.00.0000.4704 (English), 10/6/2006 20:09:52, 163840 bytes
       Driver: C:\Windows\system32\igfxcpl.cpl, 3.00.0000.4704 (English), 10/6/2006 20:11:24, 94208 bytes
       Driver: C:\Windows\system32\igfxcfg.exe, 3.00.0000.4704 (English), 10/6/2006 20:13:10, 450560 bytes
       Driver: C:\Windows\system32\igfxdev.dll, 3.00.0000.4704 (English), 10/6/2006 20:09:04, 155648 bytes
       Driver: C:\Windows\system32\igfxdo.dll, 3.00.0000.4704 (English), 10/6/2006 20:10:00, 98304 bytes
       Driver: C:\Windows\system32\igfxtray.exe, 3.00.0000.4704 (English), 10/6/2006 20:11:10, 98304 bytes
       Driver: C:\Windows\system32\igfxzoom.exe, 3.00.0000.4704 (English), 10/6/2006 20:10:56, 106496 bytes
       Driver: C:\Windows\system32\hkcmd.exe, 3.00.0000.4704 (English), 10/6/2006 20:13:28, 114688 bytes
       Driver: C:\Windows\system32\igfxress.dll, 3.00.0000.4704 (English), 10/6/2006 20:10:14, 3276800 bytes
       Driver: C:\Windows\system32\igfxpers.exe, 3.00.0000.4704 (English), 10/6/2006 20:10:06, 94208 bytes
       Driver: C:\Windows\system32\igfxrara.lrc, 3.00.0000.4704 (English), 10/6/2006 20:13:44, 143360 bytes
       Driver: C:\Windows\system32\igfxrchs.lrc, 3.00.0000.4704 (English), 10/6/2006 20:13:44, 98304 bytes
       Driver: C:\Windows\system32\igfxrcht.lrc, 3.00.0000.4704 (English), 10/6/2006 20:13:44, 98304 bytes
       Driver: C:\Windows\system32\igfxrdan.lrc, 3.00.0000.4704 (English), 10/6/2006 20:13:46, 159744 bytes
       Driver: C:\Windows\system32\igfxrdeu.lrc, 3.00.0000.4704 (English), 10/6/2006 20:13:46, 176128 bytes
       Driver: C:\Windows\system32\igfxrenu.lrc, 3.00.0000.4704 (English), 10/6/2006 20:09:14, 155648 bytes
       Driver: C:\Windows\system32\igfxresp.lrc, 3.00.0000.4704 (English), 10/6/2006 20:13:48, 172032 bytes
       Driver: C:\Windows\system32\igfxrfin.lrc, 3.00.0000.4704 (English), 10/6/2006 20:13:48, 159744 bytes
       Driver: C:\Windows\system32\igfxrfra.lrc, 3.00.0000.4704 (English), 10/6/2006 20:13:48, 167936 bytes
       Driver: C:\Windows\system32\igfxrheb.lrc, 3.00.0000.4704 (English), 10/6/2006 20:13:48, 139264 bytes
       Driver: C:\Windows\system32\igfxrita.lrc, 3.00.0000.4704 (English), 10/6/2006 20:13:50, 172032 bytes
       Driver: C:\Windows\system32\igfxrjpn.lrc, 3.00.0000.4704 (English), 10/6/2006 20:13:50, 114688 bytes
       Driver: C:\Windows\system32\igfxrkor.lrc, 3.00.0000.4704 (English), 10/6/2006 20:13:52, 114688 bytes
       Driver: C:\Windows\system32\igfxrnld.lrc, 3.00.0000.4704 (English), 10/6/2006 20:13:52, 172032 bytes
       Driver: C:\Windows\system32\igfxrnor.lrc, 3.00.0000.4704 (English), 10/6/2006 20:13:52, 159744 bytes
       Driver: C:\Windows\system32\igfxrplk.lrc, 3.00.0000.4704 (English), 10/6/2006 20:13:54, 163840 bytes
       Driver: C:\Windows\system32\igfxrptb.lrc, 3.00.0000.4704 (English), 10/6/2006 20:13:54, 163840 bytes
       Driver: C:\Windows\system32\igfxrptg.lrc, 3.00.0000.4704 (English), 10/6/2006 20:13:54, 163840 bytes
       Driver: C:\Windows\system32\igfxrrus.lrc, 3.00.0000.4704 (English), 10/6/2006 20:13:54, 163840 bytes
       Driver: C:\Windows\system32\igfxrsve.lrc, 3.00.0000.4704 (English), 10/6/2006 20:13:56, 159744 bytes
       Driver: C:\Windows\system32\igfxrtha.lrc, 3.00.0000.4704 (English), 10/6/2006 20:13:56, 147456 bytes
       Driver: C:\Windows\system32\igfxrcsy.lrc, 3.00.0000.4704 (English), 10/6/2006 20:13:44, 159744 bytes
       Driver: C:\Windows\system32\igfxrell.lrc, 3.00.0000.4704 (English), 10/6/2006 20:13:46, 176128 bytes
       Driver: C:\Windows\system32\igfxrhun.lrc, 3.00.0000.4704 (English), 10/6/2006 20:13:50, 167936 bytes
       Driver: C:\Windows\system32\igfxrtrk.lrc, 3.00.0000.4704 (English), 10/6/2006 20:13:56, 155648 bytes
       Driver: C:\Windows\system32\igfxext.exe, 3.00.0000.4704 (English), 10/6/2006 20:13:36, 122880 bytes
       Driver: C:\Windows\system32\igfxexps.dll, 3.00.0000.4704 (English), 10/6/2006 20:13:38, 23552 bytes
       Driver: C:\Windows\system32\difx32.dll, 2.01.0000.0000 (English), 8/10/2006 22:05:26, 312320 bytes
       Driver: C:\Windows\system32\iglicd32.dll, 6.14.0010.4704 (English), 10/6/2006 20:51:22, 2363392 bytes
       Driver: C:\Windows\system32\igldev32.dll, 6.14.0010.4704 (English), 10/6/2006 20:53:52, 454656 bytes
       Driver: C:\Windows\system32\igfxCoIn_v4704.dll, 10/6/2006 23:19:12, 200704 bytes
       Driver: C:\Windows\system32\difxapi.dll, 2.01.0000.0000 (English), 7/13/2009 20:15:11, 315904 bytes

Name: Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 265C
    Device ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_265C&SUBSYS_01811028&REV_03\3&172E68DD&0&EF
       Driver: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\usbehci.sys, 6.01.7600.16385 (English), 7/13/2009 18:51:14, 41472 bytes

Name: Intel(R) 915G/P/GV/GL/PL/910GE/GL PCI Express Root Port - 2581
    Device ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2581&SUBSYS_00008086&REV_04\3&172E68DD&0&08

Name: Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM USB Universal Host Controller - 265B
    Device ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_265B&SUBSYS_01811028&REV_03\3&172E68DD&0&EB

Name: Intel(R) 915G/P/GV/GL/PL/910GE/GL Processor to I/O Controller - 2580
    Device ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2580&SUBSYS_01811028&REV_04\3&172E68DD&0&00

------------------
    DirectShow Filters
    ------------------

DirectShow Filters:
    WMAudio Decoder DMO,0x00800800,1,1,WMADMOD.DLL,6.01.7600.16385
    WMAPro over S/PDIF DMO,0x00600800,1,1,WMADMOD.DLL,6.01.7600.16385
    WMSpeech Decoder DMO,0x00600800,1,1,WMSPDMOD.DLL,6.01.7600.16385
    MP3 Decoder DMO,0x00600800,1,1,mp3dmod.dll,6.01.7600.16385
    Mpeg4s Decoder DMO,0x00800001,1,1,mp4sdecd.dll,6.01.7600.16385
    WMV Screen decoder DMO,0x00600800,1,1,wmvsdecd.dll,6.01.7600.16385
    WMVideo Decoder DMO,0x00800001,1,1,wmvdecod.dll,6.01.7600.16385
    Mpeg43 Decoder DMO,0x00800001,1,1,mp43decd.dll,6.01.7600.16385
    Mpeg4 Decoder DMO,0x00800001,1,1,mpg4decd.dll,6.01.7600.16385
    DV Muxer,0x00400000,0,0,qdv.dll,6.06.7600.16385
    Color Space Converter,0x00400001,1,1,quartz.dll,6.06.7600.16385
    WM ASF Reader,0x00400000,0,0,qasf.dll,12.00.7600.16385
    Screen Capture filter,0x00200000,0,1,wmpsrcwp.dll,12.00.7600.16385
    AVI Splitter,0x00600000,1,1,quartz.dll,6.06.7600.16385
    VGA 16 Color Ditherer,0x00400000,1,1,quartz.dll,6.06.7600.16385
    SBE2MediaTypeProfile,0x00200000,0,0,sbe.dll,6.06.7600.16385
    Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder,0x005fffff,2,4,msmpeg2vdec.dll,6.01.7140.0000
    AC3 Parser Filter,0x00600000,1,1,mpg2splt.ax,6.06.7600.16385
    StreamBufferSink,0x00200000,0,0,sbe.dll,6.06.7600.16385
    Microsoft TV Captions Decoder,0x00200001,1,0,MSTVCapn.dll,6.01.7600.16385
    MJPEG Decompressor,0x00600000,1,1,quartz.dll,6.06.7600.16385
    CBVA DMO wrapper filter,0x00200000,1,1,cbva.dll,6.01.7600.16385
    MPEG-I Stream Splitter,0x00600000,1,2,quartz.dll,6.06.7600.16385
    SAMI (CC) Parser,0x00400000,1,1,quartz.dll,6.06.7600.16385
    VBI Codec,0x00600000,1,4,VBICodec.ax,6.06.7600.16385
    MPEG-2 Splitter,0x005fffff,1,0,mpg2splt.ax,6.06.7600.16385
    Closed Captions Analysis Filter,0x00200000,2,5,cca.dll,6.06.7600.16385
    SBE2FileScan,0x00200000,0,0,sbe.dll,6.06.7600.16385
    Microsoft MPEG-2 Video Encoder,0x00200000,1,1,msmpeg2enc.dll,6.01.7600.16385
    Internal Script Command Renderer,0x00800001,1,0,quartz.dll,6.06.7600.16385
    MPEG Audio Decoder,0x03680001,1,1,quartz.dll,6.06.7600.16385
    PlayReady DMO Wrapper,0x00600002,1,1,PRDMOW~1.DLL,1.03.2297.0000
    DV Splitter,0x00600000,1,2,qdv.dll,6.06.7600.16385
    Video Mixing Renderer 9,0x00200000,1,0,quartz.dll,6.06.7600.16385
    MS PR Source Filter,0x00200000,0,2,PRSource.dll,1.03.2297.0000
    Microsoft MPEG-2 Encoder,0x00200000,2,1,msmpeg2enc.dll,6.01.7600.16385
    ACM Wrapper,0x00600000,1,1,quartz.dll,6.06.7600.16385
    Video Renderer,0x00800001,1,0,quartz.dll,6.06.7600.16385
    MPEG-2 Video Stream Analyzer,0x00200000,0,0,sbe.dll,6.06.7600.16385
    Line 21 Decoder,0x00600000,1,1,qdvd.dll,6.06.7600.16385
    Video Port Manager,0x00600000,2,1,quartz.dll,6.06.7600.16385
    Video Renderer,0x00400000,1,0,quartz.dll,6.06.7600.16385
    VPS Decoder,0x00200000,0,0,WSTPager.ax,6.06.7600.16385
    WM ASF Writer,0x00400000,0,0,qasf.dll,12.00.7600.16385
    VBI Surface Allocator,0x00600000,1,1,vbisurf.ax,6.01.7600.16385
    File writer,0x00200000,1,0,qcap.dll,6.06.7600.16385
    iTV Data Sink,0x00600000,1,0,itvdata.dll,6.06.7600.16385
    iTV Data Capture filter,0x00600000,1,1,itvdata.dll,6.06.7600.16385
    DVD Navigator,0x00200000,0,3,qdvd.dll,6.06.7600.16385
    Microsoft TV Subtitles Decoder,0x00200001,1,0,MSTVCapn.dll,6.01.7600.16385
    Overlay Mixer2,0x00200000,1,1,qdvd.dll,6.06.7600.16385
    AVI Draw,0x00600064,9,1,quartz.dll,6.06.7600.16385
    RDP DShow Redirection Filter,0xffffffff,1,0,DShowRdpFilter.dll,
    Microsoft MPEG-2 Audio Encoder,0x00200000,1,1,msmpeg2enc.dll,6.01.7600.16385
    WST Pager,0x00200000,1,1,WSTPager.ax,6.06.7600.16385
    MPEG-2 Demultiplexer,0x00600000,1,1,mpg2splt.ax,6.06.7600.16385
    DV Video Decoder,0x00800000,1,1,qdv.dll,6.06.7600.16385
    SampleGrabber,0x00200000,1,1,qedit.dll,6.06.7600.16385
    Null Renderer,0x00200000,1,0,qedit.dll,6.06.7600.16385
    MPEG-2 Sections and Tables,0x005fffff,1,0,Mpeg2Data.ax,6.06.7600.16385
    Microsoft AC3 Encoder,0x00200000,1,1,msac3enc.dll,6.01.7600.16385
    StreamBufferSource,0x00200000,0,0,sbe.dll,6.06.7600.16385
    Smart Tee,0x00200000,1,2,qcap.dll,6.06.7600.16385
    Overlay Mixer,0x00200000,0,0,qdvd.dll,6.06.7600.16385
    AVI Decompressor,0x00600000,1,1,quartz.dll,6.06.7600.16385
    NetBridge,0x00200000,2,0,netbridge.dll,6.01.7600.16385
    AVI/WAV File Source,0x00400000,0,2,quartz.dll,6.06.7600.16385
    Wave Parser,0x00400000,1,1,quartz.dll,6.06.7600.16385
    MIDI Parser,0x00400000,1,1,quartz.dll,6.06.7600.16385
    Multi-file Parser,0x00400000,1,1,quartz.dll,6.06.7600.16385
    File stream renderer,0x00400000,1,1,quartz.dll,6.06.7600.16385
    Microsoft DTV-DVD Audio Decoder,0x005fffff,1,1,msmpeg2adec.dll,6.01.7140.0000
    StreamBufferSink2,0x00200000,0,0,sbe.dll,6.06.7600.16385
    AVI Mux,0x00200000,1,0,qcap.dll,6.06.7600.16385
    Line 21 Decoder 2,0x00600002,1,1,quartz.dll,6.06.7600.16385
    File Source (Async.),0x00400000,0,1,quartz.dll,6.06.7600.16385
    File Source (URL),0x00400000,0,1,quartz.dll,6.06.7600.16385
    Media Center Extender Encryption Filter,0x00200000,2,2,Mcx2Filter.dll,6.01.7600.16385
    AudioRecorder WAV Dest,0x00200000,0,0,WavDest.dll,
    AudioRecorder Wave Form,0x00200000,0,0,WavDest.dll,
    SoundRecorder Null Renderer,0x00200000,0,0,WavDest.dll,
    Infinite Pin Tee Filter,0x00200000,1,1,qcap.dll,6.06.7600.16385
    Enhanced Video Renderer,0x00200000,1,0,evr.dll,6.01.7600.16385
    BDA MPEG2 Transport Information Filter,0x00200000,2,0,psisrndr.ax,6.06.7600.16385
    MPEG Video Decoder,0x40000001,1,1,quartz.dll,6.06.7600.16385

WDM Streaming Tee/Splitter Devices:
    Tee/Sink-to-Sink Converter,0x00200000,1,1,ksproxy.ax,6.01.7600.16385

Video Compressors:
    WMVideo8 Encoder DMO,0x00600800,1,1,wmvxencd.dll,6.01.7600.16385
    WMVideo9 Encoder DMO,0x00600800,1,1,wmvencod.dll,6.01.7600.16385
    MSScreen 9 encoder DMO,0x00600800,1,1,wmvsencd.dll,6.01.7600.16385
    DV Video Encoder,0x00200000,0,0,qdv.dll,6.06.7600.16385
    MJPEG Compressor,0x00200000,0,0,quartz.dll,6.06.7600.16385
    Cinepak Codec by Radius,0x00200000,1,1,qcap.dll,6.06.7600.16385
    Intel IYUV codec,0x00200000,1,1,qcap.dll,6.06.7600.16385
    Intel IYUV codec,0x00200000,1,1,qcap.dll,6.06.7600.16385
    Microsoft RLE,0x00200000,1,1,qcap.dll,6.06.7600.16385
    Microsoft Video 1,0x00200000,1,1,qcap.dll,6.06.7600.16385

Audio Compressors:
    WM Speech Encoder DMO,0x00600800,1,1,WMSPDMOE.DLL,6.01.7600.16385
    WMAudio Encoder DMO,0x00600800,1,1,WMADMOE.DLL,6.01.7600.16385
    IMA ADPCM,0x00200000,1,1,quartz.dll,6.06.7600.16385
    PCM,0x00200000,1,1,quartz.dll,6.06.7600.16385
    Microsoft ADPCM,0x00200000,1,1,quartz.dll,6.06.7600.16385
    GSM 6.10,0x00200000,1,1,quartz.dll,6.06.7600.16385
    CCITT A-Law,0x00200000,1,1,quartz.dll,6.06.7600.16385
    CCITT u-Law,0x00200000,1,1,quartz.dll,6.06.7600.16385
    MPEG Layer-3,0x00200000,1,1,quartz.dll,6.06.7600.16385

Audio Capture Sources:
    Microphone (SoundMAX Integrated,0x00200000,0,0,qcap.dll,6.06.7600.16385
    Line In (SoundMAX Integrated Di,0x00200000,0,0,qcap.dll,6.06.7600.16385
    Phone Line (SoundMAX Integrated,0x00200000,0,0,qcap.dll,6.06.7600.16385

PBDA CP Filters:
    PBDA DTFilter,0x00600000,1,1,CPFilters.dll,6.06.7600.16385
    PBDA ETFilter,0x00200000,0,0,CPFilters.dll,6.06.7600.16385
    PBDA PTFilter,0x00200000,0,0,CPFilters.dll,6.06.7600.16385

Midi Renderers:
    Default MidiOut Device,0x00800000,1,0,quartz.dll,6.06.7600.16385
    Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth,0x00200000,1,0,quartz.dll,6.06.7600.16385

WDM Streaming Capture Devices:
    SoundMAX Digital Audio,0x00200000,2,2,ksproxy.ax,6.01.7600.16385

WDM Streaming Rendering Devices:
    SoundMAX Digital Audio,0x00200000,2,2,ksproxy.ax,6.01.7600.16385

BDA Network Providers:
    Microsoft ATSC Network Provider,0x00200000,0,1,MSDvbNP.ax,6.06.7600.16385
    Microsoft DVBC Network Provider,0x00200000,0,1,MSDvbNP.ax,6.06.7600.16385
    Microsoft DVBS Network Provider,0x00200000,0,1,MSDvbNP.ax,6.06.7600.16385
    Microsoft DVBT Network Provider,0x00200000,0,1,MSDvbNP.ax,6.06.7600.16385
    Microsoft Network Provider,0x00200000,0,1,MSNP.ax,6.06.7600.16385

Multi-Instance Capable VBI Codecs:
    VBI Codec,0x00600000,1,4,VBICodec.ax,6.06.7600.16385

BDA Transport Information Renderers:
    BDA MPEG2 Transport Information Filter,0x00600000,2,0,psisrndr.ax,6.06.7600.16385
    MPEG-2 Sections and Tables,0x00600000,1,0,Mpeg2Data.ax,6.06.7600.16385

BDA CP/CA Filters:
    Decrypt/Tag,0x00600000,1,1,EncDec.dll,6.06.7600.16385
    Encrypt/Tag,0x00200000,0,0,EncDec.dll,6.06.7600.16385
    PTFilter,0x00200000,0,0,EncDec.dll,6.06.7600.16385
    XDS Codec,0x00200000,0,0,EncDec.dll,6.06.7600.16385

WDM Streaming Communication Transforms:
    Tee/Sink-to-Sink Converter,0x00200000,1,1,ksproxy.ax,6.01.7600.16385

Audio Renderers:
    Speakers (SoundMAX Integrated D,0x00200000,1,0,quartz.dll,6.06.7600.16385
    Default DirectSound Device,0x00800000,1,0,quartz.dll,6.06.7600.16385
    Default WaveOut Device,0x00200000,1,0,quartz.dll,6.06.7600.16385
    DirectSound: Speakers (SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio),0x00200000,1,0,quartz.dll,6.06.7600.16385

---------------
    EVR Power Information
    ---------------
    Current Setting: {5C67A112-A4C9-483F-B4A7-1D473BECAFDC} (Quality)
      Quality Flags: 2576
        Enabled:
        Force throttling
        Allow half deinterlace
        Allow scaling
        Decode Power Usage: 100
      Balanced Flags: 1424
        Enabled:
        Force throttling
        Allow batching
        Force half deinterlace
        Force scaling
        Decode Power Usage: 50
      PowerFlags: 1424
        Enabled:
        Force throttling
        Allow batching
        Force half deinterlace
        Force scaling
        Decode Power Usage: 0

Saturday, January 30, 2010 5:15 PM
  • The recommendation of turning off sounds in WMC navigation fixed the problem for me also.  Terrifically annoying for such a small thing to cause such a big problem.
    Sunday, January 31, 2010 6:19 AM
  • Having the same problem, Intel G41 based board w/HDMI Audio to a Onkyo Receiver. Disabling navigation sounds also helped me, I was able to get it working by setting Windows to 2.0 output vs 5.1 speaker configuration (In configure under sounds and audio devices). But by selecting the 5.1 and disabling navigation sounds it started working again as well.

Previous to this intel G41 based build, I was using a Nvidia ION with the Atom 330 Dual Core. It did not seem to have this problem, it was configured and working properly, with 5.1 selected speakers over HDMI and Navigation sounds in media center. The Atom chip was just too slow IMO, so I switched to a C2D 2.4 Ghz w/4GB and the Intel G41. Its interesting to see that this problem has also happened on Nvidia / ATI HDMI ports as well, I was confident it was an Intel problem. Any ideas when we will see this issue resolved , it should be able to be fixed by a patch correct?
    Tuesday, February 02, 2010 4:24 AM
  • I don't think it is only Intel chipset. I have a Shuttle with Nvidia 8200 with the same problem. This is my version of HTPC. My HDMI output is connected to an Onkyo TX-SR606 receiver and then to a Vizio LCD. I get the same result (i.e. fails while playing DVD files from within Media Center). One more bit of info for the community, if I connect my PC HDMI directly to my Vizio LCD, it works fine. However when I pass through the AV receiver, I get the error. As everyone says, the problem only occurs within WMC. I have also used XBMC (better than WMC IMHO) to play DVDs and I have no problem (also successful with Power DVD or TotalMedia Theatre players). I was thinking that it was the WMC default decoder and tried to find a way to change the WMC default decoder to use either PowerDVD or TotalMedia Theatre. I could't find a way to change WMC default decoder. I will try disabling the navigation sound and let you know if it works for me as well. By the way if someone knows how to change the default decoder to use PowerDVD, please share. the MCDU apps didn't work for me. at least I could not find the PowerDVD or TotalMedia decoder as options even though I have both installed on my PC.
    usin Win7 Ultimate, Shuttle motherboard 4GB RAM.
    Monday, February 15, 2010 9:05 PM
  • I too have this issue. Disabling sounds within WMC resolved my issue also.
    Monday, March 08, 2010 2:41 AM
  • I just wanted to say thanks for the workaround above, I was tearing my hair out.  With the sounds enabled my receiver shows MultiChannel, without them enabled it shows PLII Movie. It seems to get it's self hung up while moving to DD/DTS from MultiChannel.

Is Microsoft going to address this issue?

Monday, March 29, 2010 11:49 PM
  • This has been a long going issue for error message display in MCE while trying to play DVD or DTV (live TV) using HDMI.

I am no Windows 7 user, but has been a Vista Ulitimate user for more than three years and finally encounterd this problem after upgrading my system to use HDMI as output to LCD monitor or HDTV.

There are fixes that some people sugguested, like changing sound output not using HDMI and use normal speakers instead.  For sure this will work, but this is not a real fix, this is just one way to avoid the problem, also this will defeat the purpose of using HDMI, why not just use DVI and speaker out.

Also people in this thread suggest disabling the MCE "play sound when navigating MCE", and I found that this method works for some user, but not all. Even this works, you will miss the famous MCE startup sound.

After many try and error + Google.  I seems like found a fix to the problem, which you don't need to use DVI as output and also do not need to disable the MCE sound.

Try go to your sound properties, under "playback", double click "HDMI Output", see "Supported Formats", this is the trick. "UNCHECK DOLBY DIGITAL", save settings, and restart MCE.  Now you should be able to hear the welcome MCE startup sound and also play DVD and DTV with no problem.

As I stated, I am a Vista user(this method will 100% work under Vista MCE), so hope this method also work for you Windows 7 users, if anybody can try this method and confirm it works , I would be appreciated, since I might migrate to Windows 7 soon.

Good luck!!

Tuesday, May 04, 2010 6:11 PM
  • First, thanks to all of you for your contributions to this thread.  Your tips and pointers helped immensely.  Here is my experience and the resolution I found to work.

Asus EB1501 w/Atom 330/nVidia Ion/2GB RAM/Etc.
    Windows 7 Home Premium (As included with PC)
    I uninstalled all the extraneous Asus software and installed several popular MCE addons.
    The PC is connected to my Samsung HDTV via HDMI.  I have my default audio device set to the nVidia HDMI audio output.

BCW448 mentioned disabling Dolby Digital output in Vista MCE.  I looked everywhere but couldn't find that option in Win7 RTM MCE.  Then I stumbled across the setting that made the magic happen.  In Windows 7 the wording has changed:

1) In Win7 RTM MCE navigate to Settings > DVD > Audio

2) Check Auto volume

3) Click Save

Done!  I am now able to playback DVDs, either ripped or via the built-in DVD drive AND I still have my navigation sounds enabled.  In the above mentioned settings screen there is nothing immediately obvious that says that checking that box would fix the issue.  However if you mouse/remote over that checkbox a line of text appears at the bottom of the options: "Minimizes the volume differences across TV channels.  Disables Dolby output."

Everything now works in my setup.  I hope this helps someone else.  I looked high and low for information about this issue elsewhere and found very little helpful information, particularly from Microsoft itself.

IMHO, Microsoft needs to take this advice and FIX IT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo3uxqwTxk0.  This seems to be a fairly substantial roadblock to having end users consider MCE as a serious contender in the rapidly growing HTPC software arena.

Cheers!

• Proposed as answer by dukeofcrydee Sunday, October 17, 2010 3:58 AM
    Thursday, June 03, 2010 2:41 AM
  • I've been getting the "Video Error" problem for a while now using hdmi for both video and audio straight to my TV (onboard NVIDIA graphics).

After reading this thread I sent audio straight out of the sound card instead of over hdmi and as found by other in the thraed discovered dvds worked again? Very annoying and a really poor solution to the problem, after a bit more playing I disabled the "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" option on the Advanced tab of the HDMI playback properties dialog and now I'm able to watch my dvds again.

Can't claim to know what the other side effects of disabling exclusive mode are but it seems to be working for me.

(Just thought I'd add this on the off chance it helps someone, this has been driving me nuts for months now!)

Saturday, June 19, 2010 8:11 PM
  • +1 For this problem.  Thanks to everyone who weighed in on working around the issue.  I now have Dolby 5.1 without navigation sounds. Not a fan of disabling Dolby streams, since this was the whole reason I upgraded to ATI 5xxx video.  If I wanted LPCM over SPDIF, I would have left things alone.

Why is the issue listed as solved, if the problem is so pervasive and easy to reproduce?

Big 7MC fan, lots of money invested, not a single HDCP violation in my system (and that includes my content).  I'm using it exactly as intended, it would be nice if the bug was acknowledge and given a KB#.

Thanks for all help

Thursday, June 24, 2010 6:45 PM
  • Same problem here, disabling sounds in media center helps.

I think I can narrow it even more - the problem happens when the audio sent to the reciever is changed from normal PCM to passthrough audio (DD or DTS sent directly to the reciever).

For some reason, this fails from time to time, resulting in media center having to be restarted.

Anyone at Microsoft that wants to comment on this issue?

Thursday, July 15, 2010 7:36 AM
  • I've got the same problem on an Atom/ION and HDMI directly to the TV.

As a temporary solution I installed older nVidia drivers from octobre 2009. With drivers from some time after that, the problem starts to occur. I don't have to use any other workaround this way, so I haven't tested the (brilliant) tips that were given here by some people.

Maybe this helps some people to get 5.1 working without having to switch of WMC's navigation sounds.

Quite surpising that such an easy to reproduce flaw doesn't get fixed more quickly.

Thursday, July 15, 2010 3:29 PM
  • I've run into this issue twice now and tried all of the above to fix it and none of that worked.  I'm using Windows 7 Media Center and my DVDs and DVD rips would play through Media Player, but not Media Center.  What ultimately worked for me was to goto the Default Programs in Control Panel and verify your extensions are correct and haven't been changed by installing a program.  In my case I noticed that the ".wmdb" extension had been set to the current default of "Unknown Application".  I set it to use Windows Media Center and immediately my .vob files and DVD discs started working through Media Center.
    • Proposed as answer by matro Wednesday, April 13, 2011 4:03 PM
    Friday, July 23, 2010 7:01 PM
  • Same issue here on a new x64 install. To me it happens when I try to play the DVD from an UNC path. DVD's inserted in the DVD rom player work fine. Also, when you play a DVD from media player and close it. Then mediacenter is able to play this specific dvd, all others still give the error message. However, after a reboot of the mediacenter PC this DVD also doesn't play anymore in MCE. Very weird situation.If I copy the DVD folder to a local disk and add that directory to my movies library then I can play this DVD fine. Looks like only DVD's on UNC paths have the issue.

Franc.

Saturday, July 24, 2010 1:24 AM
  • I want to thank CGTracy for solving my problem.

I have an Acer Revo hooked up via HDMI directly to my Samsung TV. Bought an AverMedia AverTVHD Volar Max to record some live TV. Windows 7 64-bit was pre-installed. I'd click "Live TV" and get 1 second of picture, then the "Video Error" saying it needed files. Tried the MCE sounds solution and that did not work.

CGTracy's solution of going into MCE > Settings > DVD > Audio and checking Auto Volume worked like a charm. FYI to other, you have to reboot the PC.

What seems to be the issue in this scenario is Dolby. Like CGTracy says, that "Auto Volume" disables Dolby output. Leave it MS programmers to continue to make things better, yet still pump out bonehead UI decisions. Anyway, I noticed the Dolby logo pop-up on my live over-the-air HD feeds. I'm guessing MCE choked on decoding it and produced the "Video Error" message.
    Sunday, October 17, 2010 3:58 AM
  • This worked for me too!
    Friday, November 05, 2010 9:27 PM
  • CGTracy, et al: Thank you so much. I was struggling with this issue for two evenings (Acer Revo 3610, NVidia ION, Windows 7 64-bit, connected to Toshiba LCD TV via HDMI cable). Checking Auto volume did the trick. What a relief. Now I can use WMC for my movie/video/photo/music collection.
    Thursday, January 27, 2011 7:36 PM
  • YES! After struggling for two days! Setting up audio in Media Center for Stereo HDMI did the trick! Also disabled navigation sounds.

Who would've thought !

Thanks so much for finding this.   My setup:  Windows 7, PCTV stick tuner, Asus monitor w/ HDMI A/V.

MS - you should be able to fix this.

Saturday, March 26, 2011 7:16 PM
  • +1 to ithompson, I solved this issue by setting the default program for .wmdb extension to Media Center.

thank you!

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 4:04 PM
  • I too can confirm that changing from 5.1 or 7.1 over HDMI to stereo over HDMI fixes the problem.  This is 100% reproducible on my machine.

Thursday, June 23, 2011 2:01 AM
  • This works for me!!  Thank you!!

Win7 64

HD 2250 TV Tuner

ATI 5770

HDMI (video+7.1 audio)

Thursday, June 23, 2011 2:09 AM
  • W7 / HD4890 / Core i5 / P67-UD4

I suffered the same issue but in my case it was caused by an external USB audio not HDMI. 

Once the MOBOs optical output was re-enabled, and WMC audio set up  DVD's played as they should

Sunday, June 26, 2011 11:33 AM
  • Wow it's funny how Vivian just stopped replying to this thread once it was proven that it is in fact a bug in Media Center. What's even better is we're nearly half way through 2012 and the issue hasn't been patched yet. Way to go Vivian! Hey maybe you should go and reinstall your drivers? Maybe then you'll be able to provide solutions that actually work instad of just assuming it's everyones driver setup. So much for your MSFT certification. Whatever.

Turning off navigation sounds fixes the issue. Thanks for this imformation everyone.

D

Monday, June 04, 2012 11:52 AM
  • It is now aug 2012 and  I do not have a TV tuner. For 13 months my media center played vob files without a problem, then one night I did a back space when I was watching a vob file and it shutdown with the same VIDEO ERROR all of you have. I have signed onto many FOURMS and the HDMI problem sounds like it works. I haven't tried it yet but I have tried everything else. But one thing, now my vob file will not even start to play like it did before. All of your post were in 2009, this is 2012, why has MICROSOFT not fixed the problem in WIN 7 MC???
    • Edited by wjbrewsr Thursday, August 16, 2012 6:41 PM
    Thursday, August 16, 2012 6:39 PM
  • Vivian Xing,

I am sorry but your solution has been tried by everyone, it does not work. After reading on the FOURM about a problem with the HDMI connection, Iwent immediately to the computer where I was having the problem and changed the AUDIO OUT connection to Composite. I did not change the speaker system to two speakers I left it at 5.1.  GUESS WHAT??? I CAN WATCH VOB FILES ON MY WINDOWS 7 MEDIA CENTER, and this is thanks to all you not so TECHy like me. YOUR ALL GREAT!!!

• Edited by wjbrewsr Thursday, August 16, 2012 8:16 PM
    • Proposed as answer by wjbrewsr Thursday, August 16, 2012 8:16 PM
    Thursday, August 16, 2012 8:15 PM
  • Well CGTRACY I had just changed my Audio connections in Speaker setup, but I also checked the Audio in DVD so, I am willing to say YOU ARE correct! Andf my sound is still great! Wjbrewsr
    Thursday, August 16, 2012 8:25 PM
  • The year is 2015, the OS Windows 8.1. This issue still exists!

The work around of using Stereo instead of 5.1 still works.

Shame on Microsoft.

Saturday, July 04, 2015 11:38 AM
  • I have the same problem. I use DRmare M4V Converter to burn iTunes movies and TV shows to DVD so that I can play them on Windows media player. But the bug happened. It applied that Video Error. What I need to do now? 
    Friday, February 23, 2018 9:46 AM