none
501 5.1.3 Bad recipient address syntax

Question

• When using dl's with outlook 2007, they suddenly stopped working. I get 501 5.1.3 Bad recipient address syntax erros. Even when i create a new distribution list. Some1 an idea whats wrong?

Thanks in advance

Wednesday, June 09, 2010 6:09 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Considering this issue "suddenly" appeared, and as Jennifer stated, the ISPs mail server configuration might be coming into play, it'd be good to contact your ISP to find out if they've made any recent changes on their end. This is especially true if you've not made any changes on your workstations --including updates to Outlook-- around the time this issue surfaced.

Did you try editing the new DL that you created with the single e-mail address so that is has the < and > characters on either end of the e-mail address? Let us know if you still require assistance.

Abdias Ruiz [MSFT]

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 8:26 PM
  • Hi,

You could probably try using Network Monitor to see the data that's sent to the POP server, then try to mimic that via a telnet session (involves some work). Compare the netmon traffic to the examples in the following article:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=153119

There's not a tool that I know of off the top of my head.

Abdias Ruiz [MSFT]

• Marked as answer by Enkidoe Monday, July 05, 2010 1:44 PM
    Friday, July 02, 2010 6:48 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Are you trying to config SMTP server to send/receive emails? If so, it maybe that your email server has either the parameter strict_rfc821_envelopes = yes or adheres strictly to the ESMTP (RFC 5321) protocols which require email addresses to be enclosed in < > as in "Jennifer Zhan<J...@email.com>".

Sendmail allows plain email addresses so you might find this error if you migrate from a sendmail mailserver to a postfix (or other server). The Email Component does not currently enclose the addresses in < > but does use them if they are present in the string that is passed in.

Thursday, June 10, 2010 6:27 AM
  • Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for the reply.

I am using my internet providor's email smtp server. So am not using my own server.

Thursday, June 10, 2010 11:20 AM
  • My impression of your error is that the DL isn't being resolved correctly.  When you enter it into the To field and press Ctrl+K or click Check Namaes, does it become underlines and does a plus sign appear to its left?  Is so, can you expand that plus?

Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]
    Thursday, June 10, 2010 7:26 PM
  • The plus exists and I can extend it. When i do that, the mail sends. When i crate a new dl with just 1 mailadres, that new dl also doesnt send.
    Sunday, June 13, 2010 9:00 AM
  • Hello,

Considering this issue "suddenly" appeared, and as Jennifer stated, the ISPs mail server configuration might be coming into play, it'd be good to contact your ISP to find out if they've made any recent changes on their end. This is especially true if you've not made any changes on your workstations --including updates to Outlook-- around the time this issue surfaced.

Did you try editing the new DL that you created with the single e-mail address so that is has the < and > characters on either end of the e-mail address? Let us know if you still require assistance.

Abdias Ruiz [MSFT]

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 8:26 PM
  • I did contact my Isp; they told me that they dont support dl's when they are not functioning. Is it somehow possible to test through a remote tool if dl's should work?? Also. about the < > , will test that.
    Monday, June 21, 2010 8:43 AM
  • Hi,

You could probably try using Network Monitor to see the data that's sent to the POP server, then try to mimic that via a telnet session (involves some work). Compare the netmon traffic to the examples in the following article:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=153119

There's not a tool that I know of off the top of my head.

Abdias Ruiz [MSFT]

• Marked as answer by Enkidoe Monday, July 05, 2010 1:44 PM
    Friday, July 02, 2010 6:48 PM
  • ok, thanks. will have a look at it.
    Monday, July 05, 2010 10:17 AM