none
Resolution :Error Code 0x800A01AE and 0x080070570

General discussion

•   Resolution :Error Code 0x800A01AE and 0x080070570

Stop the Background Intelligent Transfer Service and the Automatic Updates service. To do this, follow these steps:
    Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
    At the command prompt, type the following commands, and then press ENTER after each command:

net stop wuauserv
    net stop bits
    exit
    Rename the Catroot2 folder.

Note Do not follow this step if you are using Microsoft Windows 2000.

To rename the Catroot2 folder, follow these steps:
    At the command prompt, type the following commands, and then press ENTER after each command:

net stop cryptsvc
    ren %systemroot%\System32\Catroot2 oldcatroot2
    net start cryptsvc
    exit

Important Do not rename the Catroot folder. The Catroot2 folder is automatically recreated by Windows, but the Catroot folder is not recreated if the Catroot folder is renamed.
    Rename the "SoftwareDistribution" folder:
    Click Start, click Run, type %systemroot%, and then click OK.
    Right-click the SoftwareDistribution folder, and then click Rename.
    Type SoftwareDistribution.old, and then press ENTER to rename this folder.

Register the files that are used by Windows Update and Microsoft Update. To do this, follow these steps:
    At the command prompt, type the following commands, press ENTER after each command, and then click OK every time that you receive a verification message:
    regsvr32 wuapi.dll
    regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll
    regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
    regsvr32 wucltui.dll
    regsvr32 wups2.dll
    regsvr32 wups.dll
    regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Start the Background Intelligent Transfer Service, the Automatic Updates service, and the Event Log service. To do this, follow these steps:
    net start bits
    net start wuauserv
    net start Eventlog
    exit

Luck!

Regds,"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
    Sunday, February 01, 2009 7:26 AM

All replies

• I tried all of this and still cannot get Windows Update to switch to Microsoft Update.

I'm running Win Server 08 Std x64 R1. It's a fresh install. I've applied all of the Windows updates, including SP 2. But I cannot get it to switch from Win Update to Microsoft Update.

I keep getting this error from the Microsoft Update website: 0x800A01AE.

I've also tried the System Update Readiness Tool and a Mr. Fixit tool as recommended over at http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-windows_update/unable-to-access-microsoft-update-site/a95c722b-ed2a-4bcc-99c1-20601d624e0a?tm=1299795817188&page=1

Anything else that might flush this error out?

Friday, March 11, 2011 2:51 PM
  • Exact the same here

Win2008, Fresh install

Win Update no problem

Microsoft update gives this error

Catroot2-folder mot able to remove

Daniel
    Monday, May 09, 2011 1:57 PM
  • luck! is a good ending to that silly msg. you just copy and pasted thesame thing in every other forums. only it doesnt work....

stupid tool. how about you quit the copy and paste and actually answer something. patel i seen u in the other ms forums with that same useless answer.

• Edited by justin k pc Monday, October 22, 2012 9:14 PM
    Monday, October 22, 2012 9:12 PM
  • Just solved this issue by searching and downloading (+installing) the latest version of the MS Update client. Although this should have been automatically installed with automatic updates....

Be sure to reboot after installation.

Friday, December 28, 2012 10:43 AM
  • The resolution is a bit more simpler than all that. If you have windows XP, Vita or 7, it's very simple. Simply copy the root folder that the damaged file resides in. Everything in that folder except the damaged one will copy. Relocate the copied folder in the same directory the original one is in and rename the copy file as .....(orginal files name) with a 2 at the end or something you'll remember. Delete the Original folder and that damaged file will move to the recycling bin with it Simple. Give it a go!
    Friday, July 19, 2013 1:29 AM