none
How to view email Properties RRS feed

• Question

• When an email is opened, the Properties button is in the Show Group, but I cannot get the Show Group to appear in editting or reading an email.  How can I see an email's Properties in Outlook 2010 Home and Business version 14.yadda yadda 32 bit?
    • Moved by Carey FrischMVP Saturday, April 23, 2011 2:28 AM Moved to more appropriate forum category (From:Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3))
    Friday, April 22, 2011 2:46 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for using Microsoft Office for IT Professionals Forums.

To view the email’s Properties in Outlook 2010 in editing or reading mode, you can go to File->Info->Properties

Please take your time to try the suggestions and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If anything is unclear or if there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Sincerely,
    Max Meng

Monday, April 25, 2011 6:09 AM
  • Thanks Max,

What I actually added to the Group I created was '(Properties)', not 'Properties...' or 'Properties', BUT they are all not the same as the Properties that can be accessed through File - Info - Properties!  Although I am very confused, I am satisfied in that I can see the information I want via the Info tab.

Again, thank you very much,

Oscar

• Marked as answer by Oscar Nelsen Tuesday, April 26, 2011 5:41 PM
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 5:41 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for using Microsoft Office for IT Professionals Forums.

To view the email’s Properties in Outlook 2010 in editing or reading mode, you can go to File->Info->Properties

Please take your time to try the suggestions and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If anything is unclear or if there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Sincerely,
    Max Meng

Monday, April 25, 2011 6:09 AM
  • Found Properties, thanks.  How do I get the Show Group to display in the Message Ribbon?
    Monday, April 25, 2011 2:14 PM
  • Hi Nelsen,

I'm sorry that I didn't understand what are you looking for.

Sincerely,
    Max Meng

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 1:48 PM
  • Open an email, right click the Message tab and customize the ribbon.  The Show group, which contains Properties, is checked, but I cannot get it displayed on the ribbon.

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 2:29 PM
  • Hi Nelsen,

I didn't find the Show Group in Customize the Ribbon, either can I find it by searching the internet...

Will you upload a screen shot or send it to my email?

shmff@126.com or icff@live.cn

Sicerely,
    Max Meng

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 2:48 PM
  • The groups that I see when I customize the Message tab are: Delete, Respond, Quick Steps, Move, Open, Chinese Conersion, Editing, Zoom, Ink, Tags, and Zoom.  I also created a New Group for some features I wanted (print preview, next item, etc).  I just put the Properties command in my New Group and it is displayed in my Group, but is shades of gray and does not function.

I do not know how to do a screen shot.

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 3:08 PM
  • Hi Nelsen,

I understand.

There are two Properties command available when customize the rebbon. Displayed as:

Properties...
    Properties

And please make sure to add the one without the ellipsis dots behind.

Sincerely,
    Max Meng

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 3:16 PM
  • Thanks Max,

What I actually added to the Group I created was '(Properties)', not 'Properties...' or 'Properties', BUT they are all not the same as the Properties that can be accessed through File - Info - Properties!  Although I am very confused, I am satisfied in that I can see the information I want via the Info tab.

Again, thank you very much,

Oscar

• Marked as answer by Oscar Nelsen Tuesday, April 26, 2011 5:41 PM
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 5:41 PM
  • I don’t like this solution because it requires you to open the email first.  If it is an infected email you have just launch a virus.

Good luck.

MD

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 7:19 PM
  • I don't like it either.  The only way to see the From address is to open the email.
    Tuesday, November 27, 2012 10:18 PM
  • I don’t like this solution because it requires you to open the email first.  If it is an infected email you have just launch a virus.

No, you won't as virusses can't be executed just by opening an email.

Anyway, you can add the "Message Options" function to the QAT so you can directly access the header information from the message list.
    See: http://www.msoutlook.info/question/450

Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
    Outlook guides and more: HowTo-Outlook.com
    Outlook Quick Tips: MSOutlook.info

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 11:00 PM