none
How do I correct Error 1402 when installing 64-bit Office 2010 Professional Plus?

Question

• During installation of Office Professional Plus (64-bit) on a 64-bit Dell PC with 4 GB RAM, installation fails about 75 percent of the way through resulting in file roll back.  Display:  Error 1402 "Setup cannot open the registry key ('UNKNOWN\Components\DA42. . .EE8\7E577. . .F4E80')"

I tried registry cleaning (CCleaner) and "regedit" plus Windows Installer Cleanup Utility to remove the 32-bit version of Officer 2007 Professional, cleaned the cache again, re-booted and attempted to re-install Office Pro Plus 2010 but got the same error 1402 message.  Clearly, I have not corrected the registry error and do not know how to do more than what I described here.  Any ideas out there?

Thank you!

• Moved by David Wolters Thursday, July 08, 2010 2:30 AM Wrong Forum (From:Office 2010 Beta (Archive))
    Tuesday, May 25, 2010 1:53 AM

All replies

• Was there ever an answer to this problem?  How did you solve it?  I have the same issue.
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 4:38 AM
  • Try to run the command prompt to solve this issue,

secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\inf\defltbase.inf /db defltbase.sdb /verbose

After the command completes, kick off the office 2010. This solved the issue and office 2010 installed successfully.

Hope this helps you!

• Proposed as answer by Gnashers Saturday, March 17, 2012 3:47 PM
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 7:20 AM
  • I get an error task has completed with an error so it did not work. I tried everything. I have office 2010 Home I want to upgrade to proffessional. The 1402 error says unknown components/1FA18F............................etc. I copied and pasted the above script.
    Monday, October 04, 2010 11:29 PM
  • Thank you so much for this fix.  After month's of frustration over failed MS Office 2007 updates, the solution worked like a dream.
    Saturday, March 17, 2012 3:48 PM
  • It`s solved my problem! Thx a lot!
    Friday, September 21, 2012 7:12 AM
  • To all that encounter the same problem...use this advice from michelsmith!

I have just had numerous dramas over the last few weeks with Microsoft office 2010 professional plus. My first issue was a skype virus I infected my computer with which stuffed around with security settings and hid all my folders.....then I tried to uninstall Office and reinstall  with no success (as it hid all my systems icons...I'm no computer person so thought this was the best way to rectify it).

Sometimes it would install then would come up with registry errors 1402 othertimes it wouldn't even get that far.

Make sure you run the command as Administrator and copy and paste the above in...then wulahhh!!!

Tried to install again and worked perfectly! 

Thankyou thankyou thankyou....I'm never one to write on these things...let alone join up....but this advice just saved me from reinstalling my OS which I was hoping would solve the problem....(phewwww :)  )

So a comment saying thankyou was needed...

Gobilino.

Monday, November 19, 2012 4:34 AM
  • Thanks!

Thursday, February 28, 2013 6:05 PM
  • it works. Thank you
    Sunday, May 05, 2013 2:03 PM
  • I receive an error! I am still in agony and I have tried everything you guys have. See below:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\inf\defltbase.inf /db deflt
    base.sdb /verbose

An extended error has occurred.

The task has completed with an error.
    See log %windir%\security\logs\scesrv.log for detail info.

C:\Windows\system32>

I opened that Log but I have no idea what it is telling me. Someone please help!

Monday, May 06, 2013 12:56 PM
  • Try to run the command prompt to solve this issue,

secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\inf\defltbase.inf /db defltbase.sdb /verbose

After the command completes, kick off the office 2010. This solved the issue and office 2010 installed successfully.

Hope this helps you!

Thanks Michelsmith

Worked for me.

Friday, November 22, 2013 11:06 AM
  • Mate

This was very very very cool fix?.....was struggling for hours....

Thanks

Thursday, October 30, 2014 7:16 PM
  • Worked for Me !

Thanks

Wednesday, October 28, 2015 7:37 PM