none
retention policy for new mailbox RRS feed

• Question

• 2013 on Premise

So I've created my Tags and Policy, applied the policy to all mailboxes using Powershell but how do I apply the policy to a new mailbox on an existing user; do I have to create the mailbox and then go back in and set it under mailbox  features??

Wednesday, January 7, 2015 3:10 PM

Answers

• Yes you have to follow 2 step procedure

Go to ECP

-> Compliance management -> Retention policy "here you can create new retention policy"

but if you want to apply this retention policy, you have to go users mailbox feature, dropdown retention policy and select the policy you want.

In exchange 2010 server, it will show retention policy option when you create new user.

In exchange server 2013 it is 2 step procedure..

• Edited by Joby M Chacko Wednesday, January 7, 2015 6:05 PM
    • Marked as answer by jamicon Wednesday, January 7, 2015 6:10 PM
    Wednesday, January 7, 2015 6:05 PM

All replies

• Yes you have to.

When you assighn an email to existing user or new user. Default retention policy will be apllied them.

You can create seperate retention policy and assighned to specific user as well.

Wednesday, January 7, 2015 4:25 PM
  • "When you assighn an email to existing user or new user. Default retention policy will be apllied them."

not sure I follow so let me rephrase the question.

Can I set all new mailboxes to automatically use a given policy or do I have to do this 2 step procedure of creating the mailbox and then going back and selecting the features and then applying the retention policy?

Wednesday, January 7, 2015 5:29 PM
  • Yes you have to follow 2 step procedure

Go to ECP

-> Compliance management -> Retention policy "here you can create new retention policy"

but if you want to apply this retention policy, you have to go users mailbox feature, dropdown retention policy and select the policy you want.

In exchange 2010 server, it will show retention policy option when you create new user.

In exchange server 2013 it is 2 step procedure..

• Edited by Joby M Chacko Wednesday, January 7, 2015 6:05 PM
    • Marked as answer by jamicon Wednesday, January 7, 2015 6:10 PM
    Wednesday, January 7, 2015 6:05 PM
  • I was hoping for a different answer but thanks for clearing that up for me.
    Wednesday, January 7, 2015 6:10 PM