none
Outlook security alert RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Our SSL certificate is expired today, but we renewed it two days ago. 

Today, Outlook pops up a security warning for all user saying "The security certificate has expired or is not yet valid." I clicked the "View Certificate" button, it shows the old certificate.

I checked the local computer certificate store and found the old certificate is in the trusted store, I removed it, but it didn't help. Outlook still remembered the old certificate. 

OWA is fine and the certificate is updated.

Need help!

Thanks in advance!

Grace

Monday, October 14, 2019 2:46 AM

All replies

• Hi Grace,

In this situation, please follow the steps below to remove and re-assign the SSL certificate to your email account.

1. Please go to File > Options > Trust Center > Trust Center Settings > Email Security > Settings. 
    2. Enter a name for your security setting into the Security Settings Name box.
    3. Ensure S/MIME is selected on the Secure Message Format box.
    4. Check the Default Security Setting for this Secure Message Format.
    5. In Certificates and Algorithms section click the Choose button in the Signing Certificate section
    6. Select your Secure Email Certificate from the Select Certificate dialog box.
    7. Outlook should automatically choose the same Secure Email Certificate as your Signing Certificate for the Encryption Certificate. If not, click the Choose button in the Encryption Certificate and select your Secure Email Certificate from the Select Certificate dialog box
    8. Ensure Send These Certificates with Signed Messages is selected
    9. Click OK.

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 14, 2019 8:03 AM
  • Hi,

Have you got the issue fixed?

I'm writing to see if the reply above is helpful to you. If yes, would you mind helping mark the reply as answer? So that others who might have a similar question can benefit from your thread? Thanks for your understanding and support.

Regards, 

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 7:59 AM
  • Hi Aidan,

The issue was caused by the certificate on our web page was expired too. Outlook autodiscover will check the webpage. After we updated the certificate, the issue is gone.

Thanks,

Grace

Monday, October 21, 2019 5:55 PM
  • Hi Grace,

I'm glad to see you have fixed your problem and thanks for your sharing.

By the way, do you mind helping mark the post above as answer so that others who might have a similar question can benefit from your thread? Thanks for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Tuesday, October 22, 2019 1:28 AM
  • Hi Grace,

In order to close this thread, please kindly mark helpful replies or your own reply as answers. By doing so, it will benefit all community members who are having this similar issue.  Your contribution is highly appreciated.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Monday, October 28, 2019 9:01 AM
  • Hi,

I'm glad to see your issue has been fixed.

Here I will provide a brief summary of this post for your information. This will make answer searching in the forum easier!

Request/Expectation:

Our SSL certificate is expired today, but we renewed it two days ago.

Solution Summary:

The issue was caused by the certificate on our web page was expired too. Outlook autodiscover will check the webpage. After we updated the certificate, the issue is gone.

Reference Links:

No.

Regards, 

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 14, 2019 6:51 AM