none
Outlook 2010 sync issues with Itunes 9.XX RRS feed

• Question

• Itunes errors on sytncing with Outlook 2010.  Even tho Outlook is set as the default email progam

Error Message:
    "Microsoft Office Outlook"

"Either there is no default mail client or the current mail client cannot fulfill the messaging request.  Please run Microsoft Outlook and set it as the deafult mail client"

Any insight as to a fix would be great.  I will also be posting with Apple also.
    Friday, January 1, 2010 6:58 PM

All replies

• Itunes errors on sytncing with Outlook 2010.  Even tho Outlook is set as the default email progam

Error Message:
    "Microsoft Office Outlook"

"Either there is no default mail client or the current mail client cannot fulfill the messaging request.  Please run Microsoft Outlook and set it as the deafult mail client"

Any insight as to a fix would be great.  I will also be posting with Apple also.

If you have the 64 bit version of Office installed then there is no fix, other than installing the 32 bit version of Office 2010.  It is an issue of add in compatibility - older 32 based add ins don't work and won't work.  They will need to be updated by the third party producer of the 32 bit add in. It is no different than the fact that WMDC does not work with the 64 bit version of Outlook....

Stephen
    Friday, January 1, 2010 7:23 PM
  • Thanks!  This would explain why the 32 bit worked and the 64 bit did not.  Hope Apple will fix it.
    Friday, January 1, 2010 7:25 PM
  • Hi, can anybody actulally confirm if itunes 9 will sync. to Outlook 2010 32bit. I had similar problems with Nokia PC Suite and Outlook 2010 64bit but installing the 32 bit sorted it out.
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 11:51 AM
  • Hi,

I have no problem to sync itunes with Outlook 2010

Regards
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 11:58 AM
  • hi
    i had 64 bit and decided to put the 32 on to try to be able to sync and still no go . it seems that 2010 will not sync with this version of itunes no matter what version it is
    Saturday, February 6, 2010 12:48 PM
  • hi
    i had 64 bit and decided to put the 32 on to try to be able to sync and still no go . it seems that 2010 will not sync with this version of itunes no matter what version it is

I have the same problem...
    64Bit Windows 7-Pro, 32Bit MS Office Home and Business 2010 and latest iTunes 9.0.3.15 with 16GB iPhone 3G (not 3GS)
    iTunes Info tab shows "No supported application can be found" 

Some have noted that they are able to sync... what am i missing? If you got this to work... how?  
    Friday, February 19, 2010 6:29 PM
  • Hi There

I have windows 7 64bit and office 2010 64 bit and I just tried to sync my iphone with my outlook and got the same error message and in addition my iphone contacts are ALL deleted. Its driving me crazy. I don;t care if this can sync in future or not but for now , how do I restore my contacts in iphone. I can see the contacts in outlook but don't know how can I get those back in iphone. Please help.
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 12:27 AM
  • 64Bit Windows 7-Pro, 32Bit MS Office Home and Business 2010 and latest iTunes 9.0.3.15 with 16GB iPhone 3G (not 3GS)
    iTunes Info tab shows "No supported application can be found" 

Some have noted that they are able to sync... what am i missing? If you got this to work... how?  

As an FYI, the click to run build will not work with addins. You need to use Pro.

Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
    Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
    Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 3:11 PM
  • Hi There

I have windows 7 64bit and office 2010 64 bit and I just tried to sync my iphone with my outlook and got the same error message and in addition my iphone contacts are ALL deleted. Its driving me crazy. I don;t care if this can sync in future or not but for now , how do I restore my contacts in iphone. I can see the contacts in outlook but don't know how can I get those back in iphone. Please help.

Which office suite? The click 2 run version does not 'see' addins, so itunes will not work with it.

Tuesday, March 2, 2010 3:12 PM
  • Hi There

Which office suite? The click 2 run version does not 'see' addins, so itunes will not work with it.

Will the click 2 run version not seeing the addins be a permanent thing or will microsoft fix this by the release? Because I would like to purchase the Office Home and Business version for myself when it is released and syncing to my iPhone is mandatory.
    Sunday, March 7, 2010 9:37 PM
  • I'm pretty sure it's permanent, due to how to the virtualization works with outlook.

Sunday, March 7, 2010 9:38 PM
  • Yesterday Apple confirmed that the iPhone 3gs will not sync with Outlook 2010 Beta 64 bit. Both the Genius Bar and Apple Care confirmed this after I took my new computer to the Bar. One even said this would not be fixed until the retail release of 2010, not just the enterprise release. This makes the iPhone just about useless for me. The 32 bit did work well before I updated with new hardware and the 64 bit version of 2010. I hope it is fixed very soon. I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit instaled.

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 2:19 PM
  • Hi.

Unfortunately there is also a problem with Windows XP 32-Bit, Outlook 2010 Professional Plus RMA and iTunes 9.1.

Since the upgrade from Outlook 2007 to 2010, iTunes no longer synch any data although it recognize Outlook as the E-Mail Client.

I reported this to Apple already expecting them to fix this issue. 

So it is not only 32-Bit.

Hope this helps.

Stefan

Sunday, April 25, 2010 7:24 PM
  • Any fix for this yet?
    Thursday, June 3, 2010 3:40 PM
  • The problem was; MS missing the outlook.exe it is impossible for itunes locate outlook because it is looking for outlook.exe in defalt programs AND outlook is missing. This is a new way from MS give a sh.. for the partners

regards

PS: that isn't in Beta version that is in comercial version

Thursday, June 17, 2010 10:07 PM
  • The problem was; MS missing the outlook.exe it is impossible for itunes locate outlook because it is looking for outlook.exe in defalt programs AND outlook is missing. This is a new way from MS give a sh.. for the partners

regards

PS: that isn't in Beta version that is in comercial version

No, the problem is that the 64 bit application is entirely new and it is (and will remain) the responsibility of third parties to develop addins for their apps.  It is no different than the fact that there are 32 bit Photoshop addins that do not work with the 64 bit versions of Photoshop CS4 and CS5.  Of course, the bigger problem is people choosing to install the 64 bit version without bothering to read the disclaimers that come with the commercial release (you can't even install it without consciously choosing to stop the 32 bit installation and then manually loading the 64 bit setup program from its folder on the DVD).  If you don't need to run massive 2 GB spreadsheets, etc., don't install the 64 bit version in the first place - it is not the recommended version and does not bring anything else to the table.  I do run the 64 bit version and do need to sync my phone through the 32 bit version that I run in virtual XP mode. I will not, however, whine about it since it is my choice to run the version that is not recommended....

Stephen

Friday, June 18, 2010 12:54 AM
  • I'm using Outlook 2010 32-bit, retail home and business key card version, and the latest version of iTunes and they won't sync. Basically when I plug my iPhone in iTunes says it can't find a program for calendar, contacts, notes, etc. As soon as I uninstall 2010 and install Outlook 2007 I have no issues. I have a feeling it does have to do with iTunes not knowing where to look for the Outlook.exe as it no linger exists. Hope iTunes figures this out or my new copy of 2010 is useless.
    Saturday, June 19, 2010 1:11 AM
  • If anyone is interested there is a work around to the sync issue with 2010. If you keep 2007 and 2010 loaded and point to the same .pst file ... close Outlook and all MS Office products, then open iTunes and sync. The data will update.  This has been my MOP for the past few weeks and is working OK.
    Saturday, June 19, 2010 2:55 AM
  • I've been having a simlar problem.  iTunes will not sync.  I am NOT using v64.  It turns out Microsoft has moved the outlook.exe file to another location, on the Q: drive where no one, including your iTunes can get to it.  search for outlook.exe and it never shows up for version 14 (2010)  If you still have outlook 2007 on your system, it syncs to there.  So if you add your appointments to 2010, they cannot be sync'd to iTunes (or anything else probably)

So...I have to use outlook 2007. 

My question is, then why would I shell out $250 for office 2010?  The cute templates in PowerPoint?  NOT!

• Proposed as answer by Methodfilter Saturday, June 19, 2010 11:51 PM
    Saturday, June 19, 2010 5:33 PM
  • It looks like there is a solution, it worked for me at least. I bought the 2010 Home & Business Product Key retail edition. The problem is when you go to www.office.com/productkeycard to download it only gives you the option of the 'Click to Run' version. This version installs the programs to a virtual server and therefore isn't an 'Outlook.exe' or 'Word.exe' for that matter. Not sure why but it says it's for installing programs and updates while still being able to run the program. Anyways if anyone is in the same boat as me, do this. After you go to the MS Office download site and type in your key card and login you will see the page to download/install the 'Click to Run' version. Right below is a small link that says 'Advanced Download Options', click that. It will give you the options of 32-bit, 64-bit, and Click to Run. Choose either 32 or 64 bit and install from that file. That will now put the .exe's in a proper file that iTunes can find. I've tried both without issue. Hope that helps!
    • Proposed as answer by Methodfilter Saturday, June 19, 2010 11:52 PM
    Saturday, June 19, 2010 11:51 PM
  • In addition to the great response from Methodfilter, here is a KB article with a more formal explanation, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982431

If you choose to remove the Click-to-Run version of Office 2010 and download the standard MSI based (no C2R), the recommendation is to stay with 32-Bit Office 2010.  Similar to the Click-to-Run version, the 64-Bit version has many limitations regarding add-in compatibility.  If you decide to install 64-Bit Office please read the Deployment Considerations section of this article, http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee681792.aspx.  It describes many of the limitations you can expect.

Friday, July 16, 2010 5:51 PM
  • I cannot find that page & Microsoft says I'm not eligable for a backup DVD or another download.

Can you post the link?

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 3:21 AM
  • I did this too last month after speaking with Apple tech support.  The link to the MS website is here: http://office.microsoft.com/en-in/excel-help/click-to-run-switch-to-using-an-msi-based-office-edition-HA101850538.aspx 

The problem now is that I have the same problem, AGAIN.  itunes stopped working, so I try to install it again.  It started working again, but when I tried to sync, it erased all of my contacts (again).  I do not have click-to-run to anymore...not sure what I am going to do....

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 8:23 PM
  • This is it, this is the one people!  I screwed around for a week trying to uninstall/reinstall MS Office 2010 H&B and iTunes 10 with no luck.  Tried the MSI version vs. C2R and now . . . . tada!  iTunes recognizes Outlook and I can finally sync my contacts and calendars.  What a relief.  I think I'll have (another) beer.

Sunday, December 12, 2010 4:22 PM
  • It worked!!! I downloaded the 32bit version and iTunes now recognized Outlook ... whooo hooo!
    Monday, March 14, 2011 7:15 PM