none
Outlook 2010- Emails deleted off POP server even though setting it set to leave them

Question

• Outlook 2010 was working fine for a week and then it began deleting messages off the pop server.   Here's what I've tried.

Account is set to use a Blackberry.  Messages go to Blackberry thank goodness since there's a backup.  Blackberry isn't set to delete messages off the server. I spent time with tech support on it.

Web account: There's no setting to delete email there either. I worked with hosting tech support on that too.

Outlook: only place left to delete messages. Settings are to keep messages on server.  After hitting web and BB it will stay on server about 5 min and then disappears (Send and recieve is set for every 5 min). If I don't have Outlook running messages will stay on server. 

Scanpst: Ran scanpst.exe on default outlook inbox multiple times until it said it was error free. Copied messages into a new pst file and the messages are still being deleted off the server.  This is not good for my client since messages can be missed.

I've run virus scan updates and nothing found.

Please help.  I may have to go back to 2007.

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 3:52 PM

Answers

• Hi Jonathan,

Just to clarify  when you indicate items are deleted, they are completely deleted from the server and the client?

Forgetting for a moment your specific settings - by default when a POP3 client connects to the server, it will move the items from the server, to the client and then delete them from the server. Is there a possibility that the missing items are being downloaded to your Outlook client, but they are not displaying properly in Outlook due to a view issue (maybe a filter to not show email older than x days, etc.)?

You had indicated in your initial post that the messages will stay on the server for about 5 minutes and then disappear. Here is something to try:

1. Change the password used to access your email account.
    2. Update the password only in Outlook so that it will still be able to access email.
    3. Do not update Blackberry and other devices until you feel comfortable that enough time has passed to determine if Outlook on its own deletes the messages or not.
    4. If the emails remain on the server, then this might point to something else deleting them. Update BlackBerry with the correct password. If the issue still does not occur, it may have been that you had some other client somewhere (even a web service, etc.) configured with the previous password and it was causing the deletions.

If the problem persists, we'll need you to open a support incident with us, as we're mostly out of ideas at this point.

Abdias Ruiz [MSFT]

Thursday, November 18, 2010 7:55 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Please enable logging in Outlook per the steps in this Knowledge Base article (see the Outlook 2010 Section):

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;300479

Once logging has been enabled, restart outlook and reproduce the problem you are seeing. Send the opmlog.log file to cts-aruiz at live dot com.

Thank you,

Abdias Ruiz [MSFT]

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 10:46 PM
  • Hello Abdias, I have sent the log to you. Please let me know if you find something.  I have created a new pst and the issue still occurs so it must be related to something outside the pst file. Thanks, Jonathan
    Monday, November 08, 2010 11:18 PM
  • Hi Jonathan,

Thank you for the log. We can see in the log with this line that Outlook is configured to leave items on the server for 60 days and to only delete items when they are removed from the Local Deleted items Folder:

2010.11.03 11:39:02 POP3 (pop.aol.com): Do deletions: LoS: yes, DoN: yes

However, we did not see any Deletes sent by Outlook to the server.  A delete by Outlook (with the setting to Not leave a copy on the server) will have a log similar to the following:

2010.11.10 16:50:48 POP3 (MyServer): ==== Comparing server and local blobs ====

2010.11.10 16:50:48 POP3 (MyServer): ==========================================

2010.11.10 16:50:48 POP3 (MyServer): Do deletions: LoS: no

2010.11.10 16:50:48 POP3 (MyServer): [tx] DELE 1

2010.11.10 16:50:48 POP3 (MyServer): <rx> +OK

2010.11.10 16:50:48 POP3 (MyServer): [tx] DELE 2

2010.11.10 16:50:48 POP3 (MyServer): <rx> +OK

2010.11.10 16:50:48 POP3 (MyServer): [tx] DELE 4

At this time, we do not see where Outlook is the source of the delete. Do you have any other clients or devices that might be connecting to that account?

Abdias Ruiz [MSFT]

Thursday, November 11, 2010 6:25 PM
  • Hello Abdias,

Thanks for taking a look at this.  This is on the only client having this issue. I've worked with blackberry, godaddy and now here.  Everyone is saying they aren't doing the deletions.  It's happening somewhere but just don't know where. In Outlook the settings are to refresh every 5 minutes. Same on the godaddy side. Outlook or godaddy must be doing it since it will stay on godaddy server before deleting about 5 minutes later. It's not clear who's initiating that.

Only thing left is to do, is to go back to Office 2007 and see what it does there.  Still odd since this was a fresh install of Office 2010 on a brand new computer with Windows 7 Pro.

If anything else, comes to mind, please let me know.

Best, Jonathan

Thursday, November 18, 2010 5:32 PM
  • Hi Jonathan,

Just to clarify  when you indicate items are deleted, they are completely deleted from the server and the client?

Forgetting for a moment your specific settings - by default when a POP3 client connects to the server, it will move the items from the server, to the client and then delete them from the server. Is there a possibility that the missing items are being downloaded to your Outlook client, but they are not displaying properly in Outlook due to a view issue (maybe a filter to not show email older than x days, etc.)?

You had indicated in your initial post that the messages will stay on the server for about 5 minutes and then disappear. Here is something to try:

1. Change the password used to access your email account.
    2. Update the password only in Outlook so that it will still be able to access email.
    3. Do not update Blackberry and other devices until you feel comfortable that enough time has passed to determine if Outlook on its own deletes the messages or not.
    4. If the emails remain on the server, then this might point to something else deleting them. Update BlackBerry with the correct password. If the issue still does not occur, it may have been that you had some other client somewhere (even a web service, etc.) configured with the previous password and it was causing the deletions.

If the problem persists, we'll need you to open a support incident with us, as we're mostly out of ideas at this point.

Abdias Ruiz [MSFT]

Thursday, November 18, 2010 7:55 PM
  • Hi Abdias,

Success!!!!

Changing the password on the server then Outlook worked!!  I've changed it over on the blackberry and the messages are staying on the server as well.   It's amazing something so simple like changing the password corrected the problem.  Thank you so much for that last suggestion. It's made a world of difference.

Best, Jonathan

• Proposed as answer by itskd Tuesday, November 27, 2012 4:02 PM
    Sunday, November 21, 2010 2:51 AM
  • Abdias, I am having the identical problem Jonathan had. The only difference is that I'm using Outlook 2007 (not 2010) and the other device is an iPad (not Blackberry). The other common factor is that both of us are using GoDaddy for email hosting (although GoDaddyd tech support denies it's a Godaddy problem).

I did exactly as you suggested (changing the passwords) and the problem is still persisting.

In addition, when I go to the "Advanced" tab in the "Internet E-Mail Settings" and change the settings to leave a copy on the server, I get duplicates of every email and they are still deleted from the GoDaddy server and therefore are unable to be retrieved by any other mobile device.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,
    Michael Sullivan
    exvirginian@hotmail.com

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 11:18 PM
  • Hello Jonathan,

I was curious, did your problem stay resolved after you changed the password?  After many hours on the phone with my e-mail server trying to figure out why all my messages were being deleted I ran across this forum.  I had them change my password and lo and behold - it worked! - for about 3 hours...then all the messages were deleted again.  Just wanted to know if yours was a permanent fix.

Thanks,

Marnie

Friday, June 24, 2011 3:54 AM
  • This was a permanent solution until last week with the SAME client. I changed the pw on the server email account, local outlook copy and blackberry.  Issue continues. I will try it one more time and see if it corrects the problem.  I also upgraded to Office 2010 SP1 to see if that would make a difference and it didn't.  The issue still happened after removing the email account on blackberry. Keep you posted.

Thursday, July 05, 2012 3:56 PM
  • Hi Jonathan and all....

Here we are a few months down the road from your last posts, and I am so thankful to have found this forum.

All of a sudden this week, after two users having used Outlook 2010, along with their iPhones and iPads to access POP3 accounts on our web host's e-mail server, we have the exact same problem as described here.

I use Outlook 2007 and have not had a single problem, but my husband and one other user who both use 2010 have begun to experience this problem in the past 3 or 4 days.  Husband has been using 2010 for about 2 years, and never a problem... until now...

We had it narrowed down to what looked like Outlook 2010 deleting e-mails off the server (despite being set not to) prior to downloading them!... so thus, they never were received.  iPad and iPhone were receiving sporadically (also set to never delete from server).

In desperation, and after several calls to our most unhelpful web host, who insisted that once the e-mail hits the inbox on their server, their work there is done, I found your forum.

We tried changing the password, updating first on Outlook, verifying things were OK by also looking on webmail to make sure messages were retained, and then gave password access back to the iPad and iPhone one after the other, testing in between.

So far, so good.  E-mails now being received on all three, and no deletions from server.

But I'm curious to know if you managed to get the fix to stick permanently?  I'm worried the husband's e-mail is going to stop again in a few days... yikes!  If you have permanent resolution, please pass along your good news!

We have also re-enabled Spam Drain, which my husband uses to check for spam...we did that last, because it seemed to be the most likely dark horse in the picture if we couldn't prove anything else... even though there was no indication of any problem with it.

Thursday, October 04, 2012 1:51 PM