none
Default retention policy and Retention Tag RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am a bit confused. I have default  Retention policy assign to all users. The Default Retention poly as many retension tags assigned to it.  So what of these retention tags are in use on mailboxes??

there are 1 month delete  presonal

1 week  delete  personal

1 Year delete  personal  and lot more, most of the personal, one default, one Deleted items and Junk Email.

What of these rentention are in use for my mailboxes ? If I create a new Retention  I have options " applied automatically to entire mailbox or default folder or personal.

thanks

Erro

Thursday, December 7, 2017 9:56 AM

Answers

• Hi Erro,

The link provided by Vasil has explained that clearly:

• A default policy tag(DPT) applies to all items that do not have a retention tag applied, either inherited or explicit.
    • Retention policy tags(RPTs) are created for default folders such as inbox,deleted items etc.
    • Personal tags are used by outlook and OWA users to apply retention settings to custom folders and individual items  such as email messages.

For users, you can only select Personal tags to apply to the items or custom folders based on your needs, DPT and RPTs cannot be selected.

Best Regards,

Niko Cheng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 8, 2017 9:51 AM

All replies

• use get-mailbox xyz |fl *rete*

it will show you the retention policy applied. every retention policy has a retention tag applied to it

get-retentionpolicy policyname |fl *tags*

will give you retention tags linked

for all mailbox

get-mailbox -resultsize unlimited |select Name, *retention*

will list mailbox names and their retention policies applied to them

Thanks & Regards Ramandeep Singh

Thursday, December 7, 2017 9:59 AM
  •  Hi and thanks for your answer.

when I do this, should I do this on Office 365 online ?

get-remotemailbox krle |fl *rete*

RetentionHoldEnabled      : False
    EndDateForRetentionHold   :
    StartDateForRetentionHold :
    RetentionComment          :
    RetentionUrl              :

brgds,

Erro

Thursday, December 7, 2017 10:07 AM
  • Personal tags are basically used to give the users an OPTION to decide how to handle the message. They do not affect any messages/folders by default - they need to be manually assigned to them. Read the documentation for additional information: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd297955(v=exchg.160).aspx
    Thursday, December 7, 2017 6:27 PM
  •  Hi and thanks,

This is what I thoght but was not sure. This means that all my malboxes are assigned to the default policy

which I need to configure for my needs, but nevertheless I would think that there are some default

setting like deleted mails are kept for 14 days.

brgds

Erro

Thursday, December 7, 2017 7:09 PM
  • Hi Erro,

The link provided by Vasil has explained that clearly:

• A default policy tag(DPT) applies to all items that do not have a retention tag applied, either inherited or explicit.
    • Retention policy tags(RPTs) are created for default folders such as inbox,deleted items etc.
    • Personal tags are used by outlook and OWA users to apply retention settings to custom folders and individual items  such as email messages.

For users, you can only select Personal tags to apply to the items or custom folders based on your needs, DPT and RPTs cannot be selected.

Best Regards,

Niko Cheng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 8, 2017 9:51 AM