none
Access of customer's data by SharePoint engineers RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I would like to ask a question abouit SharePoint and OneDrive. I have been reading this page https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/safeguarding-your-data  "How we treat your data", and I would like to specify one question. "No engineer has standing access to the service. When engineers need access, they must request it." So, my question is "request from whom? from a customer or from management? Should a customer also approve the access by an engineer?

Thursday, October 17, 2019 12:57 PM

All replies

• Please make your title more descriptive, if you want more people to help.

Regards,
    Pete

#PEJL
    Got any nice code? If you invest time in coding an elegant, novel or impressive answer on MSDN forums, why not copy it over to TechNet Wiki, for future generations to benefit from! You'll never get archived again, and you could win weekly awards!

Have you got what it takes to become this month's TechNet Technical Guru? Join a long list of well known community big hitters, show your knowledge and prowess in your favoured technologies!

Thursday, October 17, 2019 1:04 PM
  • This is a question you need to ask Microsoft directly. I would suggest you ask it via your TAM.

Trevor Seward

Office Apps and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2019

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Thursday, October 17, 2019 3:07 PM
  • By default, it is requested to Microsoft management.

That means, they will not "disturb" you every time they require access your data, however they will have full traceability of who, when and why they accessed your data.

It's all stated in the referenced article:

"special workflow that requires business justification and manager approval"

"An audit event is generated that you can view in the Microsoft 365 admin center"

Notice the distinct difference between configuration items and content(Your data).

However!

"No engineer has standing access to the service. When engineers need access, they must request it. Eligibility is checked, and if engineer access is approved, it's only for a limited time. In the rare cases where Microsoft engineers need access to content, (for example if you submit a support ticket because a user can't access an important file that we believe is damaged), the engineers must check in a special workflow that requires business justification and manager approval. An audit event is generated that you can view in the Microsoft 365 admin center. You can also turn on a feature called Customer Lockbox so you need to grant approval. The engineer gets access only to the file in question. Learn how to turn on or off Customer Lockbox and approve and deny requests: Office 365 Customer Lockbox Requests."

Its all stated in the referenced article...

Friday, October 18, 2019 6:36 AM
  • Hi, Claudia,

I am checking how things are going here. Is there any update about your issue? You can mark the reply as answer if it helps you.

Best Regards

Jerry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Monday, October 21, 2019 9:13 AM