none
WinXP SP3 BSOD: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005 0xBAA58756 0xBACC342C 0xBACC3128)

Question

• POST BSOD:

0x0000007E (0xC0000005 0xBAA58756 0xBACC342C 0xBACC3128)

This is the stop code i recieve after installing service pack 3 on my system, all of the latest drivers where installed, if i uninstall service pack 3 via safe mode my computer starts perfectly

and yes, my video drivers are the latest version

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 2:06 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Can you please check the value of the following registry key on your system afterr SP3 install?

I believe a safe mode boot is possible, right?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Intelppm\Start (Use regedit).

Please try setting it to 4 and boot in normal mode.

Thanks

Shashank

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 5:30 AM

All replies

• http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321637 and more general http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330182 won't help I fear, right? Which hardware (and driver versions) are you using in detail?

Bye,
    Freudi
    Tuesday, February 26, 2008 4:32 AM
  • Unfortunatly i don't have any creative gear in my, system... just a AMD 3800+, Nvidia GeForce 6600 GFX, 1.5GB of RAM, 820GB of HDD (320+500) Motherboard has AC"97 Audio, with Nvidia chipset, all latest updates/drivers installed over clean windows installation, no 3rd party software - perform service pack 3 install via live update (not Slipstreamed) and BANG! BSOD no matter what i try

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 11:23 AM
  • Hey Djnlnsomnia

First do you have any u.s.b drives? during boot certain bios on this platform reset settings. When an u.s.b. storage devices is installed it may end up being a portion of the boot up process.

Which leads to a few other questions, did you take off any usb keyboards or mice that were connected? Memory readers that use usb port?

There are a few pointers on the net on setting up this motherboard, Check right after boot up, *Press Del or f1, <mine is Del>
      Search under power management, APM is disabled.

Hopefully you have down down all your settings prior to this problem, but if you need them I can post them here or help you pointed in the right direction are you using nofrce2 3 4 or higher? each type of bios settings are slightly different.

I keep a P/S 2 keyboard and mouse to re-install my O.S. 

A bad logitech wireless mouse took down my os installation during removal of SP3 R.C. 2 so general troubleshooting skills required.
    (edited in)

*Which chipset drivers are you using? If they are not WHQL signed they will blue screen. And certain ones are not compatible. Which bios version 5.60? 5.50? 4.84? The latest chipset ones will not work with the older nv systems

(end)
      Please post back with your results or questions

Not a Microsoft employee

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 8:31 AM
  • Latest BIOS as well?

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 11:30 PM
  • Hi,

Can you please check the value of the following registry key on your system afterr SP3 install?

I believe a safe mode boot is possible, right?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Intelppm\Start (Use regedit).

Please try setting it to 4 and boot in normal mode.

Thanks

Shashank

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 5:30 AM
  • Hi DjInsomnia,

Can you please provide us with the details of the machine and the manufacturer.

Is this an assembled machine?

How did you install windows on it and SP?

I hope the above mentioned way should solve your problem, but still provide us these details to fix it for larger audience.

Thanks,

Puneet

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 7:06 AM
  • I got a very similar BSOD:  0x0000007E (0xC0000005,0xBAA98756 which is as far as I wrote)

after installing XP SP3 on an HP Pavilion a1450n with an AMD Athlon64 X2 4200+ processor, SATA drive, and XP Media Center Editon version 2002. Error is very soon after choosing to boot XP on a dual boot system with Vista Ultimate (which choice continues to boot just fine). The system did boot XP in Safe Mode which is where I set the value of ...\Intelppm\Start key to 4 as suggested in the message from Shashank.

Thereafter the system successfully booted into XP Normal Mode. On that boot I did get a System Error Log entry which I have not seen before:

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:  ftsata2

Now doing some research on the Intelppm driver.

• Proposed as answer by Paul Richmond Thursday, November 26, 2009 9:05 PM
    Friday, May 2, 2008 3:20 AM
  •  duane_white wrote:

I got a very similar BSOD:  0x0000007E (0xC0000005,0xBAA98756 which is as far as I wrote)

after installing XP SP3 on an HP Pavilion a1450n with an AMD Athlon64 X2 4200+ processor, SATA drive, and XP Media Center Editon version 2002. Error is very soon after choosing to boot XP on a dual boot system with Vista Ultimate (which choice continues to boot just fine). The system did boot XP in Safe Mode which is where I set the value of ...\Intelppm\Start key to 4 as suggested in the message from Shashank.

Thereafter the system successfully booted into XP Normal Mode. On that boot I did get a System Error Log entry which I have not seen before:

I just reported the same STOP error, also on a HP AMD machine. Unfortunately I didn't make a note of the model name, and couldn't do more testing as I was at the customers home. Resolved it in the same way as you, as I've seen mention of the same problem on here with earlier builds of SP3. I thought it was supposed to have been fixed. Looks like a lot of HP customers are going to end up with this problem if they install the Service Pack.

Friday, May 2, 2008 9:21 AM
  • Martin said >> I thought it was supposed to have been fixed. Looks like a lot of HP customers are going to end up with this problem if they install the Service Pack.

My research revealed that the IntelPPM driver is for Intel Processor Power Management which is NOT necessary on a system with an AMD processor such as I have. Setting the indicated Start registry value to "4" turns off the Intel Processor Power Management driver. The ftsata2 driver I mentioned is for a Promise Raid controller which is also not part of my system (for anyone interested see note at end of message as to how to stop this driver from trying to load).

Ergo this whole issue seems to be a repeat of the same problem encountered with SP2 and described in the following KB article:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888372
    Title: You receive a “Stop 0x0000007E” error message after you upgrade to Windows XP Service Pack 2 on a non-Intel-processor-based computer

HP must have used _one_ SYSPREP image to install XP SP2 to both systems with Intel processors and systems with AMD processors. Therefore as you have noted there are indeed likely to be a lot of HP users encountering this particular error depending on how many systems were setup as was apparently mine and the one on which you encountered the same stop error.

NOTE: How to Disable the ftsata2 driver: Open the Device Manager, click View on the menu, click Show Hidden Devices, click Non-Plug and Play Drivers, find ftsata2 in the list and Double LEFT click, click the Driver tab, change the Startup type from Boot to either Demand or Disabled depending on how confident you are you do not need this driver. Since there is no demand for this driver on a system without a Promise Raid controller, it should no longer attempt to load at Boot and the Event Viewer error regarding its failure to load should be history.

Saturday, May 3, 2008 5:27 PM
  •  duane_white wrote:

My research revealed that the IntelPPM driver is for Intel Processor Power Management which is NOT necessary on a system with an AMD processor such as I have. Setting the indicated Start registry value to "4" turns off the Intel Processor Power Management driver. The ftsata2 driver I mentioned is for a Promise Raid controller which is also not part of my system (for anyone interested see note at end of message as to how to stop this driver from trying to load).

Ergo this whole issue seems to be a repeat of the same problem encountered with SP2 and described in the following KB article:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888372
    Title: You receive a “Stop 0x0000007E” error message after you upgrade to Windows XP Service Pack 2 on a non-Intel-processor-based computer

HP must have used _one_ SYSPREP image to install XP SP2 to both systems with Intel processors and systems with AMD processors. Therefore as you have noted there are indeed likely to be a lot of HP users encountering this particular error depending on how many systems were setup as was apparently mine and the one on which you encountered the same stop error.

My point exactly. I remember seeing these errors floating around a month or so ago, the cause being the intelppm.sys getting turned back on in error. Of course, you could say the real cause is the manufacturer being lazy and cloning one image and just making a few changes for the AMD machines. Not sure though why SP3 should be reenabling that driver though, if it had been disabled once. I remember comments that it had been fixed in subsequent builds. Yet now it's happening with the RTM build. Could be interesting the next few weeks .....

Sunday, May 4, 2008 12:29 PM
  • I have a Dell 1705 Inspron Laptop and I recieved the same BSOD Code However I cant even boot into Safe mode nor will it allow me to go into Debug mode this SP3 Completely runnmed me and my laptop. What wonderful software engineers and bata testers they have at good old Microsoft. And Yes I have the latest video Drivers OH I forgot Laptops rarly need updated drivers but I have the latest that Dell has released.

Monday, May 5, 2008 2:41 AM
  • Im not sure I know how to fix this problem. I downloaded service pack three and now windows will not start up unless I do it in safe mode. Would someone please help with as much detail as possible, Im still kind of new to computers. Thanks.

Thursday, May 8, 2008 12:44 AM
  • Yesterday I downloaded the network install file for XP SP3 & it gave me the BSOD after the reboot. But I can't use safe mode to help my self. Both Safe mode & Latest known good config just results in BSOD with this message as the rest of you get. My PC is HP d4495.se-a with AMD 2x2200, Nvidia 7900 GTX, 4GB RAM. I just wonder about the tip to remove all hardware that is connected with USB. That will be a hell to me. Keyboard, wireless mouse & HP Personal Drive is easy. But the cardreader installed, is it nessesary to remove that too? 

At the second restart it told me that NTLDR was missing, so I put in my recovery disk & started Recovery console & runned the commands fixmbr & fixboot. Still BSOD. I also remember a fix & found it now at work:
    Step 1. Boot from your XP Setup CD and enter the Recovery Console
    Step 2. Enter the command attrib -h -r -s c:\boot.ini
    Step 3. Delete the file (del c:\boot.ini)
    Step 4. Run bootcfg /rebuild
    Step 5. Run fixboot
    One problem with this is that I can't get in to RC in C:Windows without the Admins password. I know I put a flag in the register to be able to get in to RC without tha password but know also that fail.

Any ideas

Thursday, May 8, 2008 6:47 AM
  • If you have a computer with a non-Intel processor (for example an AMD processor) _and_ if you are getting a 0x0000007E stop error, then the advice in this thread has already told you how to fix the problem (in most but probably not all cases of this particular stop error). You should be aware that until April 14th, 2009 you are entitled to _free_ support direct from Microsoft for SP3 upgrade related problems. See this link for the details:

http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-us&prid=11273&gprid=522131  

There are also directions to fix the IntelPPM driver being given out at various places on the Internet which outline the steps you need to take in somewhat greater detail than provided here. See either of these links:

http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?p=187790#p187790  

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r20443304-MCE-XP-SP3-Issues~start=20

Regards, Duane White

Thursday, May 8, 2008 1:45 PM
  • Hi,

I have find out that problem are causing new usb drivers (in case your machine is intel machine, if non intel it could be intelppm). Replace new windows\system32\drivers\usbehci.sys and windows\system32\drivers\usbport.sys with old (sp2) versions. On my machine this problem is causing even KB918005 hotfix only. SP3 have newer versions of usb drivers than KB918005, but problem remains. Symptoms on my machine (Intel965, Core2Duo E6400):
    When HW DEP is enabled BSOD code: 0x000000FC, if HW DEP not enabled :0x0000007E
    Cannot boot even to safe mode or last known good configuration.
    If no USB device is connected, BSOD do not occur.
    SP2 (working) usb drivers are version 5.1.2600.2180.

Simply replace these two files with older versions before you confirm restart after SP3 installation.

Monday, May 12, 2008 3:37 PM
  • I just want to thank you Mr. Duane White for this post right here. Your redirection to these more detailed posts helped me fix my SP3 issues and I want to extend my gratitude.

I appreciate your input.

Thursday, May 15, 2008 3:53 AM
  • Since installing SP3, I have been unable to boot in safe, normal or last known good.  If I try either last known good or normal, I get stop error 0x000000FC (0xF7AA98E8, 0x07354963, 0xF7AA9848, 0x00000001).  If I try safe mode, I get stop error 0x00000050 (0xFFFFFF96, 0x00000000, 0xF7AFB8E8, 0x00000000). 

Last night I tried unplugging all USB devices, and lo-and-behold!, was able to get to my log-in screen.  I couldn't log in, though, because as soon as I tried to plug in my wireless mouse/keyboard, I went instantly to a BSOD with the above 0x000000FC error.  I was able to plug all the other USB devices and still reboot, though, with no problem.

I'm willing to try Hnanicek's fix, but can anyone tell me exactly how?  (I'm not all that savvy about computers but I can follow directions really well.) 

Thanks for any help!

Running MS Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 on a Dell Dimension E510, with the following:

Intel Pentium 4 Processor 630 with HT Technology (3.0 GHz)

1 GB DDR2 SDRAM at 533 MHz

160GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)

256MB ATI Hyper Memory PCI-Express X16 (DVI/VGA/TV out) Radeon X600 SE video card

Intel Pro 100M Integrated PCI NIC Card

Trend Micro PC-cillin anti-virus & anti-spyware

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 6:09 PM
  •  Hnanicek wrote:
    Hi,

By "DEP" do you mean the "Data Execution Protection"?  If so, I'm not sure what that would have to do with this problem.

(BTW, I find DEP to be incredibly annoying, you're supposed to be able to disable it with this in the boot.ini:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=alwaysoff /fastdetect

But it doesn't work!  I'm still badgered every time I try and install something I downloaded).

Thursday, May 22, 2008 11:42 AM
  •  Hnanicek wrote:
    Hi,

I have find out that problem are causing new usb drivers (in case your machine is intel machine, if non intel it could be intelppm). Replace new windows\system32\drivers\usbehci.sys and windows\system32\drivers\usbport.sys with old (sp2) versions. On my machine this problem is causing even KB918005 hotfix only. SP3 have newer versions of usb drivers than KB918005, but problem remains. Symptoms on my machine (Intel965, Core2Duo E6400):

Simply replace these two files with older versions before you confirm restart after SP3 installation.

Hi,

We are investigating this issue and would need some of the logs/files from your machine in order to make good progress.

Can you please collect the following files from your machine (the one that crashed with SP3) and send them to us?

1. %windir%\svcpack.log

2. %windir%\debug\setup\updsh.log

3. %windir%\system32\drivers\usb*.sys (before trying the workaround).

Please send the files to shashank<dot>bansal<at>microsoft<dot>com.

Looking forward to your reply.

Thanks

Shashank

Thursday, May 22, 2008 11:53 AM
  • Hi, I mean, enabling or disabling DEP (data execution protection) in machine BIOS. I am using /noexecute=optout in my boot.ini.  I recommend you to  enable it  for all applications, because  it protectr you against various buffer/stack/heap attacks.
    Thursday, May 22, 2008 4:45 PM
  • Hi guys, I checked %SystemRoot%\svcpack.log and I have found following lines in it:

64.407: c:\windows\system32\usbui.dll is in the list of oem drivers...skipping copy!
    64.407: c:\windows\system32\drivers\usbuhci.sys is in the list of oem drivers...skipping copy!
    64.579: c:\windows\system32\drivers\usbhub.sys is in the list of oem drivers...skipping copy!
    75.500: c:\windows\system32\drivers\pciidex.sys is in the list of oem drivers...skipping copy!
    75.500: c:\windows\system32\drivers\pci.sys is in the list of oem drivers...skipping copy!
    77.219: c:\windows\system32\drivers\nv4_mini.sys is in the list of oem drivers...skipping copy!
    77.485: c:\windows\system32\nv4_disp.dll is in the list of oem drivers...skipping copy!
    94.438: c:\windows\system32\drivers\isapnp.sys is in the list of oem drivers...skipping copy!
    111.641: c:\windows\system32\drivers\atapi.sys is in the list of oem drivers...skipping copy!

50.688: c:\windows\system32\wdmaud.drv is in the list of oem drivers...skipping copy!
    51.188: c:\windows\system32\vidcap.ax is in the list of oem drivers...skipping copy!
    51.219: c:\windows\system32\vfwwdm32.dll is in the list of oem drivers...skipping copy!
    51.563: c:\windows\system32\usbui.dll is in the list of oem drivers...skipping copy!
    51.563: c:\windows\system32\drivers\usbuhci.sys is in the list of oem drivers...skipping copy!
    51.656: c:\windows\system32\drivers\usbhub.sys is in the list of oem drivers...skipping copy!
    53.703: c:\windows\system32\drivers\stream.sys is in the list of oem drivers...skipping copy!
    57.375: c:\windows\system32\drivers\portcls.sys is in the list of oem drivers...skipping copy!
    57.594: c:\windows\system32\drivers\pciidex.sys is in the list of oem drivers...skipping copy!
    57.594: c:\windows\system32\drivers\pci.sys is in the list of oem drivers...skipping copy!
    58.344: c:\windows\system32\drivers\nv4_mini.sys is in the list of oem drivers...skipping copy!
    58.563: c:\windows\system32\nv4_disp.dll is in the list of oem drivers...skipping copy!
    60.938: c:\windows\system32\msyuv.dll is in the list of oem drivers...skipping copy!
    62.891: c:\windows\system32\msh263.drv is in the list of oem drivers...skipping copy!
    68.406: c:\windows\system32\ksxbar.ax is in the list of oem drivers...skipping copy!
    68.422: c:\windows\system32\kswdmcap.ax is in the list of oem drivers...skipping copy!
    68.422: c:\windows\system32\ksuser.dll is in the list of oem drivers...skipping copy!
    68.453: c:\windows\system32\kstvtune.ax is in the list of oem drivers...skipping copy!
    68.453: c:\windows\system32\ksproxy.ax is in the list of oem drivers...skipping copy!
    68.485: c:\windows\system32\drivers\ks.sys is in the list of oem drivers...skipping copy!
    68.922: c:\windows\system32\iyuv_32.dll is in the list of oem drivers...skipping copy!
    69.016: c:\windows\system32\drivers\isapnp.sys is in the list of oem drivers...skipping copy!
    73.906: c:\windows\system32\drivers\gameenum.sys is in the list of oem drivers...skipping copy!
    76.500: c:\windows\system32\drivers\drmk.sys is in the list of oem drivers...skipping copy!
    82.703: c:\windows\system32\drivers\atapi.sys is in the list of oem drivers...skipping copy!

I manualy copied skipped files from %SystemRoot%\ServicePackFiles\i386 to %SystemRoot%\System32 and %SystemRoot%\Drivers and WOW: no BSOD even when I restore SP3 versions of usbehci.sys and usbport.sys. So result is: It is neccesary to manually copy all usb drivers to system32\Drivers if some of the files were skipped during installation.  Probably SP3 and SP2 usb drivers are not compatible.

Best regards
    Thursday, May 22, 2008 5:31 PM
  •  Hnanicek wrote:
    So result is: It is neccesary to manually copy all usb drivers to system32\Drivers if some of the files were skipped during installation.

Hm, installing the standaolone version of SP3 with parameter "/o" or "/overwriteoem" should to the same. The question remains, why this may be neccessary on some (OEM) systems while others are not showing any issue.

Bye,
    Freudi

[Edit]: corrected /oemoverwrite to /overwriteoem
    Friday, May 23, 2008 2:56 AM
  • In reply to Hnanicek,

It does seem to be the usb files not being copied. For me it was usbuhci.sys, pci.sys & atapi.sys that I needed to copy across. The confusing thing is the school I do IT for has several pc's of the same hardware & software, some worked first time and some needed the files copying across.

Regards,

Nimitz40.

Friday, May 23, 2008 8:18 AM
  •  Hnanicek wrote:
    Hi, I mean, enabling or disabling DEP (data execution protection) in machine BIOS. I am using /noexecute=optout in my boot.ini.  I recommend you to  enable it  for all applications, because  it protectr you against various buffer/stack/heap attacks.

I don't have that kind of an option in my BIOS.  My PC is rather "bulletproof" with about a dozen anti-malware programs, and KIS 7 which protects against all that.  But it's a moot point anyway since I can't disable it anyway.

Friday, May 23, 2008 10:10 AM
  • Strange, I checked my svcpack.log file and I didn't have any "....skipping copy!" lines.  Are you on an Intel or AMD platform?  Did you install over SP2? 

BTW, replacing the usbport.sys file with an SP2 version is so far the only consistent fix for me.  (My PC details can been seen at the 4th post on this page: http://forums.microsoft.com/technet/showpost.aspx?postid=3321844&siteid=17&sb=0&d=1&at=7&ft=11&tf=0&pageid=24)

Hnanicek wrote:
    Hi guys, I checked %SystemRoot%\svcpack.log and I have found following lines in it:

64.407: c:\windows\system32\usbui.dll is in the list of oem drivers...skipping copy!
    64.407: c:\windows\system32\drivers\usbuhci.sys is in the list of oem drivers...skipping copy!
    64.579: c:\windows\system32\drivers\usbhub.sys is in the list of oem drivers...skipping copy!
    75.500: c:\windows\system32\drivers\pciidex.sys is in the list of oem drivers...skipping copy!
    75.500: c:\windows\system32\drivers\pci.sys is in the list of oem drivers...skipping copy!
    77.219: c:\windows\system32\drivers\nv4_mini.sys is in the list of oem drivers...skipping copy!
    77.485: c:\windows\system32\nv4_disp.dll is in the list of oem drivers...skipping copy!
    94.438: c:\windows\system32\drivers\isapnp.sys is in the list of oem drivers...skipping copy!
    111.641: c:\windows\system32\drivers\atapi.sys is in the list of oem drivers...skipping copy!

[snipped]

I manualy copied skipped files from %SystemRoot%\ServicePackFiles\i386 to %SystemRoot%\System32 and %SystemRoot%\Drivers and WOW: no BSOD even when I restore SP3 versions of usbehci.sys and usbport.sys. So result is: It is neccesary to manually copy all usb drivers to system32\Drivers if some of the files were skipped during installation.  Probably SP3 and SP2 usb drivers are not compatible.

Best regards

Friday, May 23, 2008 10:25 AM
  •  Ottmar Freudenberger wrote:
     Hnanicek wrote:
    So result is: It is neccesary to manually copy all usb drivers to system32\Drivers if some of the files were skipped during installation.

Hm, installing the standaolone version of SP3 with parameter "/o" or "/oemoverwrite" should to the same. The question remains, why this may be neccessary on some (OEM) systems while others are not showing any issue.

Bye,
    Freudi

Don't you mean /overwriteoem ?

Friday, May 23, 2008 1:32 PM
  •  Clint D. wrote:

Aaarrrrggglllllhhhh! Yes, of course! Pardon

Bye,
    Freu"That's why I'm using only "/o" in case I need to"di
    Friday, May 23, 2008 2:12 PM
  • I had a smiliar stop message on an HP Pavilion and the registry fix that SHASHANK suggested fix the problem  .  Thanks a bunch.  I will repeat what you suggested in my post.

Go to start/run and type in regedit click ok.  This will open up your registry editor. Then browse to this location in your

registry

and change the START value to 4.  Close the registry editor and reboot computer.

Friday, May 23, 2008 2:24 PM
  •  Clint D. wrote:

Strange, I checked my svcpack.log file and I didn't have any "....skipping copy!" lines.

That may very well be the case, especially if you aren't running a OEM machine.

BTW, replacing the usbport.sys file with an SP2 version is so far the only consistent fix for me.  (My PC details can been seen at the 4th post on this page: http://forums.microsoft.com/technet/showpost.aspx?postid=3321844&siteid=17&sb=0&d=1&at=7&ft=11&tf=0&pageid=24)

Hm, I wonder what would have/did happen in case you've installed KB918005 on your Widnows XP SP2 system since this update (not beeing offered via Windows Update) containes a usbport.sys file version 5.1.2600.3020 (among other files).

You've looked after updated versions for your BIOS and chipset drivers, true?

Bye,
    Freudi
    Friday, May 23, 2008 2:25 PM
  •  Clint D. wrote:
    I find DEP to be incredibly annoying, you're supposed to be able to disable it with this in the boot.ini:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=alwaysoff /fastdetect

But it doesn't work!  I'm still badgered every time I try and install something I downloaded.

DEP (Data Execution Prevention) is nothing to do with the "Open File - Security Warning" which pops up when you attempt to launch an executable file which you have downloaded through Internet Explorer.

DEP is an important security feature which blocks a generic vulnerability which many malware programs seek to exploit.  You would be well advised to enable DEP security globally.

The "Open File - Security Warning" pop-up can be configured in the "Security" tab of control panel "Internet Options".

Friday, May 23, 2008 2:57 PM
  •  

Ottmar Freudenberger wrote:

Clint D. wrote:

Aaarrrrggglllllhhhh! Yes, of course! Pardon

Bye,
    Freu"That's why I'm using only "/o" in case I need to"di
    Friday, May 23, 2008 4:23 PM
  •  Ottmar Freudenberger wrote:
     Clint D. wrote:

Strange, I checked my svcpack.log file and I didn't have any "....skipping copy!" lines.

That may very well be the case, especially if you aren't running a OEM machine.

It's custom built myself with a full version XP Pro CD, with SP2 slipstreamed on it.

Hm, I wonder what would have/did happen in case you've installed KB918005 on your Widnows XP SP2 system since this update (not beeing offered via Windows Update) containes a usbport.sys file version 5.1.2600.3020 (among other files).

I have no record of ever installing 918005, so I probably didn't install it.  I don't ever install anything from the Win Update site, I always manually d'load and install only the updates I need.  The version of usbport.sys from my SP2 install was 2180.

You've looked after updated versions for your BIOS and chipset drivers, true?

Yes, chipset and all other mobo drivers are the latest.  But not the BIOS.  I don't flash any BIOS unless I'm having problems and have to do it.

Friday, May 23, 2008 4:31 PM
  •  rdhw wrote:

DEP (Data Execution Prevention) is nothing to do with the "Open File - Security Warning" which pops up when you attempt to launch an executable file which you have downloaded through Internet Explorer.

DEP is an important security feature which blocks a generic vulnerability which many malware programs seek to exploit.  You would be well advised to enable DEP security globally.

Oh my, I could have sworn that was the same thing!  That must have been the day I drank that bottle of cough medicine, and was drinking.  LOL. 

The "Open File - Security Warning" pop-up can be configured in the "Security" tab of control panel "Internet Options".

For what zone; Internet, Local, Trusted, or Restricted?  I didn't see anything pertaining to that in any of the custom level options.

Friday, May 23, 2008 4:39 PM
  • In the custom security levels, try: "Launching applications and unsafe files".  If that doesn't fix it for you, look at http://smallvoid.com/article/ie-attachment-manager.html for more information about this feature.

Friday, May 23, 2008 5:09 PM
  •  rdhw wrote:

In the custom security levels, try: "Launching applications and unsafe files".  If that doesn't fix it for you, look at http://smallvoid.com/article/ie-attachment-manager.html for more information about this feature.

You must be looking at IE7.   No such area in IE6. 

There's also a "custom" area for EACH of the 4 zones, that's why I asked which zone does this change need to be made.  My guess would be "Local Intranet" since the download is on your computer. 

I check out the URL, thanks Robin.

-Clint

Friday, May 23, 2008 5:18 PM
  • I installed SP3 over SP2 using Windows Update. But I also tried standalone installer->same problem. My platform is Intel (Intel 965P, Intel Core2Duo E6400).

Clint D. wrote:

Strange, I checked my svcpack.log file and I didn't have any "....skipping copy!" lines.  Are you on an Intel or AMD platform?  Did you install over SP2? 

Hnanicek wrote:
    Hi guys, I checked %SystemRoot%\svcpack.log and I have found following lines in it:

[snipped]

Best regards

Saturday, May 24, 2008 9:30 AM
  • Never mind!!!!  It's freakin' back!   Another inconsistent "fix" to add to the db.  At least this one (below) worked for 2+ days where the others lasted one time.  Now I guess the next step is to replace the other file, usbehci.sys and see if that lasts for more than 3 days.

Why don't we continue this thread over to http://forums.microsoft.com/technet/showpost.aspx?postid=3321844&siteid=17&sb=0&d=1&at=7&ft=11&tf=0&pageid=24 , there's a lot more people over there and more input from MS employees.  It's kind of counter-productive to have to watch two or more threads for fixes.  If our info and experiences can be pooled together we have a better chance of coming up with a permanent fix.

Clint D. wrote:

Saturday, May 24, 2008 1:02 PM
  •  Martin Farmilo wrote:
     duane_white wrote:

I got a very similar BSOD:  0x0000007E (0xC0000005,0xBAA98756 which is as far as I wrote)

I just reported the same STOP error, also on a HP AMD machine. Unfortunately I didn't make a note of the model name, and couldn't do more testing as I was at the customers home. Resolved it in the same way as you, as I've seen mention of the same problem on here with earlier builds of SP3. I thought it was supposed to have been fixed. Looks like a lot of HP customers are going to end up with this problem if they install the Service Pack.

I have seen similar  ftsata failed to load and stop error as coppied down by customer being [stop:0x40000080, 0x86447130, 0x85d7c828, 0xf7az6bb8, 0x00000001] and assumed it to be xp sp3 due to pc mag artical; could not remove sp3 so did complet reload and don't appear to have the poblem but am still working on updates.   The customer said it started about 3 days after I set up his new dell inspiron 530s (the pc the poblem is on) and contiued for appox 3 weeks, so i do a reload today. Hope that helps you guys.

Saturday, May 24, 2008 10:28 PM
  • mn-angle,

Did anyone ever help you?  I am having the same problem you are having.  I installed SP3 and now all I get is the same errors you reported.  I even unplugged the usb cable and the sytem rebooted correctly.  As soon as I plugged them back in, error.  I was glad to know that my system will restart normal.  I was starting to thing I was going to reinstall windows.  Please advise if you were able to resolve your problem and please pass on how to solve it.

Tim

Sunday, May 25, 2008 2:38 AM
  • Unbelievable.  Replacing usbehci.sys in the System32/drivers folder also did not work!  My PC rebooted several times the next time I started it! 

I had SP3 versions of usbehci.sys and a usbport.sys in my C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386 folder, I just replaced those with the SP2 2180 versions so I'll see if that helps.  I wouldn't think so but I'm trying it anyway.  If that doesn't fix it, I'll be replacing every single *usb* file on the C: drive with SP2 versions (except of course what's in the SP uninstall folders).

I won't be posting anymore updates on this thread, I'll be posting them on the thread referenced below.

Clint D. wrote:

Never mind!!!!  It's freakin' back!   Another inconsistent "fix" to add to the db.  At least this one (below) worked for 2+ days where the others lasted one time.  Now I guess the next step is to replace the other file, usbehci.sys and see if that lasts for more than 3 days.

Why don't we continue this thread over to http://forums.microsoft.com/technet/showpost.aspx?postid=3321844&siteid=17&sb=0&d=1&at=7&ft=11&tf=0&pageid=24 , there's a lot more people over there and more input from MS employees.  It's kind of counter-productive to have to watch two or more threads for fixes.  If our info and experiences can be pooled together we have a better chance of coming up with a permanent fix.

Clint D. wrote:

Sunday, May 25, 2008 10:33 AM
  •  Hi,

I have come across some Dell computers that have intel processors and are getting the 0x0000007E error message after ugrading to Windows Xp SP3.

I have seen it happening on computers with AMD, this is the other way round...

Can some one help me.?

Thank you in advance

Regards,

Chang

Wednesday, June 4, 2008 7:20 PM
  • I would like thank Mr. Duane White for this post right here. Explanation and problem 's descriptions give me the right solution to the bug, except that I do only the reloading  the SP2 driver usbport.sys. My mobo is  MSI AM2 with Nvidia  nForce 560 chipset, processor AMD X2 5400+.

Thursday, June 5, 2008 11:24 AM
  •  CHKB wrote:

Hi,

I have come across some Dell computers that have intel processors and are getting the 0x0000007E error message after ugrading to Windows Xp SP3.

I have seen it happening on computers with AMD, this is the other way round...

Can some one help me.?

Thank you in advance

Regards,

Chang

Look at my post right above yours, see the URL in it.  That's where you want to go and read.

Thursday, June 5, 2008 12:12 PM
  •  

I'm having the exact same problems as you.  Have you had any luck with fixing it?
    Friday, June 6, 2008 7:38 PM
  •  peanut77 wrote:

I'm having the exact same problems as you.  Have you had any luck with fixing it?

If that was addressed to me, no.  I've tried more than a dozens things which only seemed to fix it a few times at most, then the reboot loop/BSOD was back. 

Saturday, June 7, 2008 11:04 AM
  • This post was helpful EXCEPT I have a system that has ONLY UBS ports for keyboard and mouse.  If I disable in the bios all the USB ports I am able to boot to the login screen.  Obviously no keyboard or mouse available.  So I reinabled the UBS port but unplugged everything.  Once again able to boot to login screen.  But as soon as I plug in the keyboard I blue screen.

Any ideas on how to remove or replace the usb drivers files??  Please help. I have a Dell DXP0061 with a Intel Core2 processor.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Tuesday, September 2, 2008 10:10 PM
  •  Lance at ProScout wrote:

This post was helpful EXCEPT I have a system that has ONLY UBS ports for keyboard and mouse.  If I disable in the bios all the USB ports I am able to boot to the login screen.  Obviously no keyboard or mouse available.  So I reinabled the UBS port but unplugged everything.  Once again able to boot to login screen.  But as soon as I plug in the keyboard I blue screen.

Any ideas on how to remove or replace the usb drivers files??  Please help. I have a Dell DXP0061 with a Intel Core2 processor.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Have you tried the PS/2 adapters for the mouse (and keyboard)?  Since they are USB they should be hot-pluggable, so have you tried plugging them in after the PC has started?

You can search your HD for all files with usb in them and replace them with SP2 versions, but I doubt that would help.  You'd have to get the path to the files, usually in the system32 folder and system32/drivers folder, then find the path to that $KBuninstall$ folder that has the SP2 versions in them (I THINK it's C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$), then in MS-DOS do the copy or move command for each *usb* file!  A lot of work.

First I'd start with the sbp2port.sys file, that's the most troublesome one.  But you probably don't have it on your PC if it doesn't have FireWire.

Your easiest thing would probably be to just remove SP3.

Wednesday, September 3, 2008 1:12 PM
  •  I also facing a problem like u all...

Stop : 0x0000007e ( 0xc0000005, 0xba8af91c, 0cbacc351c, 0xbacc3218)

May i know how to solve tis problem.....Pls..help mr urgent!!!

Tuesday, March 24, 2009 5:58 AM
  •  Stop: 0x0000007e ( 0xC0000005,0xBA8AF91C, 0xBACC351C, 0xBACC3218)

i also facing a problem like tis...Please help me!
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 6:03 AM
  •  
    Stop: 0x0000007e ( 0xC0000005,0xBA8AF91C, 0xBACC351C, 0xBACC3218)

I just upgrade to SP3 but i booting i facing blue screen problem n show me tis error..
    May i know how to solve it!
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 6:10 AM
  • Install sevice patch for service pack 3
    Paul Richmond
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 9:03 PM
  • Reboot Loop After Installing Windows XP SP3

To solve this problem you have to grab a pen, a piece of paper and the Windows XP Disc. Make a nice drinks or coffee or tea to make you feel relax...

1. Start the computer and keep tapping F8 button when the system starting until you see the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" Please select an option:
    select the "Disable automatic restart on system failure" then press enter.

2. Now we're on the Blue Screen Of Death (BSOD) showing the symptom that causes the illness. Write down the name of the file....

3.Put the Windows XP Disc into CD/DVD Drive and press the reset button to restart the computer, then press any key when the system starting for the Windows XP Disc. Now you see a "Window Setup" with blue screen background and please wait until it settle down.

4. Press R for Recovery Console... We are on the "Microsoft Windows XP (TM)Recovery Console" press 1 to log on...then press enter.

5. Administrator Password is the main password when you install the Windows XP. If no main password then press enter.

6. As you can see the "C:\WINDOWS> " This is where we type the DOS COMMAND PARAMETERS ....

7. Now we have to make a backup of the file you wrote in the system folder. Type this command parameters;

CD C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\

press enter

RENAME NTDLL.dll NTDLL.orig  (change NTDLL.dll to the name of file you wrote)

press enter

8. Then copy the NTDLL.dll from C:\WINDOWS\SERVICEPACKFILES\I386\ to the system folder with the right command parameters:

CD C:\WINDOWS\SERVICEPACKFILES\I386\

press enter

COPY NTDLL.dll C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\

press enter

To restart the computer type EXIT then press enter....

©Copyrighted 091226-2012 Rolfy
    Sunday, December 27, 2009 10:30 PM
  • Shashank's solution worked on this machine.  AMD based HP machine running xp media center edition.  I believe I came across this answer at least once before as well with another bluescreen after sp3 installed issue.  Unfortunately, my customer tried to "fix" it with an HP recovery installation before bringing it here, so I didn't regenerate the problem until I installed sp3 on the new load.  That said, using PC-check, one of the DMA controllers fails. (Asus ABAE-LE OEM board) However, it doesn't seem to be a problem performance-wise.  I wonder if the two issues are related.
    Monday, January 4, 2010 9:25 PM
  • I recently decided to set up a spare PC just to run World Community Grid. I may as well have it solving world hunger instead of languishing in the back of the closet, right? It has an AMD CPU. I used an old copy of XP Home because this PC would not be used for anything but WCG. Big mistake. I let it sit and do the Windows Update orbit. SP2 and SP3 seemed to install without issue. The next thing Windows Update decided was critical was .NET 3.5 SP1. That install failed and I immediately ran headlong into this problem. Having gone through all the gyrations (endless boot loop on normal startup, stuck on mup.sys starting in safe mode) that this error by Microsoft* caused, I rebooted with the XP installation CD so I could disable intelppm, only to find I could not access the Recovery Console because the PC would hang before getting to the screen where R could be pressed.

(*The symptoms in Microsoft Support article 953356 begin with "You upgrade a computer...". Excuse me, I did not upgrade my computer, Windows Update did. Microsoft should at least have the integrity to take responsibility for their own actions. I'm not impressed.)

So, there I am at a dead end. I couldn't even reinstall XP from scratch. What to do? (Hindsight being 20-20, the proper course of action would have been to connect the hard drive as a secondary in a different PC, delete the partition, then reformat and reinstall the OS, but psychic powers have never been a strong suit with me.) I figured that I would skirt the whole problem by dusting off and installing an unused copy of Vista Home. Bigger mistake. The PC started up normally, the Vista install progress bar slowly marched across the bottom of the screen and then stopped. I let it sit there for about 20 minutes and eventually accepted that it wasn't going anywhere. I powered off the PC. Biggest mistake.

I powered it up again. Now the motherboard won't POST. Nada. Not even a blinking cursor at upper left. I have done all the usual motherboard troubleshooting steps - incrementally checking and reconnecting each component - all to no avail. (I used to build PCs for a living. I have done this more times than I can remember.) My last resort was to clear the CMOS, hoping I could set it to default. No luck. It appears that Microsoft has mortally wounded my motherboard and has the temerity to blame me in the first sentence of their support article.

Has this happened to anyone else? If so, have you figured out how to fix it?
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 4:39 PM
  • Excellent solution, thank you!
    Tim Woodcock IS SCCM Administrator University of Florida at Jacksonville
    Friday, July 22, 2011 12:27 PM
  • I currently have an Intel DG965WH motherboard with a socket 775, Dual Core Quad processor Q6700 running 64-bit Windows 7.  The previous two motherboards were struck by a voltage spike caused by lightning hitting an outside comcast broadband line and then destroying the Broadband modem, router, and finally the network interface built into the motherboard which also allowed the current to pass through and destroy the motherboard.

With all of these boards I constantly had been receiving the BSOD randomly...and mostly when the computer was coming out of sleep.  I went throug 12 memory modules all at the same speed of 800 mhz, with 5-5-15 timings...and still BSOD.  I then replaced my old U.S Robotics Voice modem with a MultiTech MT5656ZDX-V voice modem with full duplex and jacks for a mic and speaker connections so that it acts as a speaker phone.  Still BSOD very similar to this 7E 0x..5.

I made my virtual memory static, and still BSOD's.

Finally, after 4 years of performing clean installations and troubleshooting, and with no help from Microsoft Problem Reporting and Solutions feature in Windows Vista and 7, disabling DEP has solved my problems....finally.  My anti-virus Avast 64 bit program runs beautifully and I will never enable DEP on my future systems again.

After countless days, multiple motherboards, countless hours, lost sleep, etc...etc... my Reliability Index has finally gone from 1.5 to 9.0 and still climbing to the ultimate 10.

Microsoft abandoned Intel's Quick Resume feature by not supplying drivers for it anymore.  I abandon DEP as it is a very obscure hush hush secret apparently.  My searches with the BSOD error did not prove fruitful on Technet, or Microsoft Knowledge bases.  No fixes...so I had to keep looking and searching and reading and trying different fixes...and restoring my system over and over again.

Overall, Windows has been a very nightmarish piece of software... for many many years for me and it has robbed me of precious weeks and months that I could have been spending this time having fun with loved ones.  DEP, sorry to say, on my 3 sytems, has taken its toll and has probably given me more than 5000 BSOD's over the last 4 or 5 years.

I am not worried in the least about catching a virus...and I would rather catch a vicious virus that eats up my entire hard drive...than to enable DEP on my systems...whether it be processor hardware based or software based.

I am going to finally have fun now.  Excuse me, please.

Miffed...and trying to decompress...I need neat and tidy chortle of booze.

William

Monday, August 29, 2011 6:51 AM
  • I would like to thank a lot of you on this forum have a system that is intel P4 processor based not sure of the MB type off hand but i have been having this BSOD issue kinda described in many of these post for the last many many months not only after updateing to sp2 but also in sp3 could not get anything to work BSOD would happen on reboots and sometimes while using windows after i did get in or random reboots after hrs of use and I needed the update in order to get a few newer programs to work then last night i decided to start reading here and there in these forums and decided to give it another shot so made backup of all my data then installed SP3 when it was finished it ask to reboot now option i picked no then went to the windows folder looked in the system32 then into drivers folder and deleted the intelppm.sys File then rebooted so far so good no BSOD also went into the drivers folder again and the intelppm.sys file is still gone computer has been running fine thus far no problem on reboots will keep my fingers crossed if this works should be a fix for my couple other computers that have been packed away because they broke down with similar issues will pull them out blow the dust off them and give this fix a shot on them
    Friday, September 9, 2011 1:31 AM
  • Muchas gracias, tu solución funciono a la primera.

Monday, August 5, 2013 11:38 AM
  • Setting the intelppm start parameter to 4 did the trick for me. 

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

gg

Friday, August 9, 2013 1:25 AM
  • that worked for me ty
    Thursday, November 14, 2013 5:17 PM
  • That was the fix for me. Thank you.

(As I understand it, the SP3 default is for an Intel CPU (of which I have an AMD) and that is what this fix addresses?)

Friday, October 31, 2014 7:19 PM
  • hola,

gracias por la ayuda, tenia el mismo problema despues de instalar una tarjeta de video pci y me daba el mismo error, cambie el valor de la clave de registro a 4 y pudo arrancar windows

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Intelppm\Start 

Sunday, June 21, 2015 4:28 PM