none
excel changes my the paths to the files that I link cell formulas to, when I check out to local drafts RRS feed

• Question

• If you open two excel documents click in one cell, press the equal sign, go to the other worksheet click a cell then press enter, the value of the second cell is now in the first document and is linked.  It will show the value from the second document even if it changes.

I have excel documents on a sharepoint site.  If people do this linking methods it will work.  However, once someone checks out a document and clicks the checkbox that allows them to store it in their local drafts folder, all the links change and now point to this folder location.

so a link to
    http://mysite.com/mydoclibrary/test.xls
    will become
    c:\users\....\local sharepoint drafts\test.xls

If they save it, everything forever changes.  How can I stop this from happening?  I can't trust that everyone will follow the rules and not use local drafts, if the doc gets messed up, we are screwed.

We also can't translate the paths back to our share point url since the subsite and folder names get dropped.

The following three sharepoint site paths will all look like they came from the same local drafts folder.
    /subsite/folder/test.xls
    /subsite/test.xls
    /test.xls

I also can't use another method of linking these files.  My whole finance department works this way and we are doing end of the year reports.  Not linking documents is not an option.

nonam
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Saturday, January 16, 2010 8:50 AM No need for "- NOT EXCEL SERVICES QUESTION" - I never move posts to Excel Services that aren't clearly that.
    Friday, January 15, 2010 9:09 PM